EchoStar

EchoStar Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan

Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated (in 7 reviews)

• Awesome work environment, Challenging work, Lot of opportunities to grow (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay no advancement, upper management that simply doesn't care about their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Cautiously Optimistic

Engineer I (Current Employee)

ProsThe company's history serves as an anchor to weigh it down. Relatively recent operating changes are helping to aim things in the right direction and I am cautiously optimistic that the path the company is taking, in regards to engineering at least, is moving to improve communication & processes. Pay is not highly competitive, but it is competitive and in line with the Denver area's averages based on skills, years of experience, and education level, and it turns out that our benefits package is much better than some of my friends' who are also engineers. This is not a silicon valley company, to be certain, but the office environment is casual and open with decent-sized cubicle spaces in several engineering dept locations. The grounds in Englewood back up against a golf course and the weather in Colorado is fantastic a good chunk of the year (even winter, surprisingly). We have a hockey team, the holiday party is a great time, and the upper management of engineering has strong supporters of philanthropy. All of the good press regarding our recent product releases & quarterly profits has helped to launch stock prices to record highs.

ConsThe coffee is terrible. There's no ball pit. The cubicles are gray. The operating changes mentioned in "Pros" aren't fully cemented and so there are quite a few kinks to work out. There are far too many Broncos fans. Documentation is a real sore spot in that I've been told one learns the code via "tribal lore" (though this is also slowly changing).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Make changes slowly, one by one, in order to ensure they are firmly adopted before moving on.

Get better coffee. Some real creamer would be nice, too.

And a ball pit. With a slide.

Low pay/ Bad Benifits

ProsGood people/Co workers. Working with the technology.

ConsNo matter how long you work for them your max vacation you can earn is 2 weeks. Lack of communication from middle management. The pay is below industry standards and raises are very small. If you don't start at a good salary you are screwed for many years to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people earn more vacation than 2 weeks even if its after a few years. Don't base salary on one location when other locations have a higher cost of living. They said they were doing a salary adjustment to industry standards (5/2014). Did not happen for all employees.

Decent Place, if you dont have to deal with upper management

Proseducation opportunities if you know who and how to ask, salary if you come in at a good level, work/life balance is better than most places I've worked, good coworkers

ConsBenefits package is the absolute minimum allowed by law; upper management will tie you up, lay you in the street, buy the bus, and drive it over you; the higher level in management you have to deal with the less professional the interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating the company and your employees as your personal fiefdom. Professional attitudes and policies from upper management would go a long way towards improving the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great overall experience while working with the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were many positive aspects of my work experience with Echostar. The largest being job security. As long as I completed my tasks and responsibilities, my position was guaranteed. The company never had any lay offs of employees.

ConsThere were also challenges during my Echostar experience. One of the greatest challenges being advancement and compensation. However, there was never a dead end, I just had to keep pushing while still performing above and beyond the expectation of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice to management may be to make communication training and activities mandatary for all employees to attend, including management.

Good people!

Program Manager II (Current Employee) Cheyenne, WY

ProsEchoStar is a great company. Good people to work with and very skilled at their jobs.

ConsWages are low compared to Colorado

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more attention to people and their efforts.

Great company

Director (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsChallenging work environment. Great co-workers. Deep engineering background of the company with blend or service provider culture.

ConsUse to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced. Competitive compensation package.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work.

review

Prossome great people in the organization.

ConsTeams don't seem to wwork well together - lots of management issues.

it was a good place to work/

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere is unlimited overtime normally, which is not normal now days. money could be good if you take advantage of that.

Conson the other hand much of the time OT can be manditory, and normally they decide when, with no way to change it to work around your life

Good people, benefits not so hot

ProsThe products I get to work on are very interesting, and I work with a really great group of talented people. Also my salary is market-rate, in a good way. And, finally, flexibility in work/life balance is provided, at least in my case, which is great.

ConsFor the area of the country I work (SF Bay Area), and considering the size of the company, the benefits package simply isn't competitive. Very poor health insurance plan, lower than average 401k matching and stock purchase program, etc. I don't think I've ever heard the word "raise" uttered by any of my co-workers. Vacation/sick time is average.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for.

Terrible Salaries

Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) Cheyenne, WY

ProsNot stuck doing one job all the time.

ConsDon't get paid for the many job tasks you really do.
    Management

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to learn how to compensate their employees for the actual tasks they do instead of viewing it as a "process". If you do the job now, you should get paid now, not in the future.

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!