EchoStar Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
2.9

EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan
Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated (in 7 reviews)

• Awesome work environment, Challenging work, Lot of opportunities to grow (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay no advancement, upper management that simply doesn't care about their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It is interesting, new stuff comes up often. Nice people.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are nice. There are continuous new projects to work on. There are facilities provided for learning new things.

Cons

The location I work at is in the traffic nexus of Atlanta. It is exhausting to drive here. Communication isn't ideal. A lot is expected for the pay. They keep some people hourly and call them non-essential disposable resources.

There needs to be a clearer chain of command and less micro-management. Maybe before launching into a technical discussion have your facts straight.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance, Great people, Challenging projects, Responsible projects

Cons

Better benefits, Better wages, Better Medical plans

Low salary, weak benefits, and good 'ol boy culture. Three strikes from the start. Would not return...ever.

I worked at EchoStar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was steady work when I needed a job, but the overall rate of compensation compared to the expectations/requirements/work environment made it hell while I was there.

Cons

It's not what you know but who you know. 24x7 operations coverage is not conducive to a real family life. Getting a holiday off took an act of God, unless you "knew" somebody or were the bosses buddy.

Manager's all seemed to be in their position because of an angel on their side. Often wondered if it was because of some hidden dirt on the next level because most managers were not the best or brightest, but still managed to be untouchable some how.

I wouldn't recommend it as a place to pursue, unless you can get a good gauge of the culture prior to hiring on. They seemed to hide that part during the interview process. Granted it is a tough business to be in but it was made worse by the lack of equality, low pay, and horrible health benefits. Always messaged as being the best they could do with the budget, but the profits at the top never seemed to impact/improve the working types.

Clean house, treat people as a resource not as consumable entity, encourage honesty and value skills/experience over who you know.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cautiously Optimistic

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company's history serves as an anchor to weigh it down. Relatively recent operating changes are helping to aim things in the right direction and I am cautiously optimistic that the path the company is taking, in regards to engineering at least, is moving to improve communication & processes. Pay is not highly competitive, but it is competitive and in line with the Denver area's averages based on skills, years of experience, and education level, and it turns out that our benefits package is much better than some of my friends' who are also engineers. This is not a silicon valley company, to be certain, but the office environment is casual and open with decent-sized cubicle spaces in several engineering dept locations. The grounds in Englewood back up against a golf course and the weather in Colorado is fantastic a good chunk of the year (even winter, surprisingly). We have a hockey team, the holiday party is a great time, and the upper management of engineering has strong supporters of philanthropy. All of the good press regarding our recent product releases & quarterly profits has helped to launch stock prices to record highs.

Cons

The coffee is terrible. There's no ball pit. The cubicles are gray. The operating changes mentioned in "Pros" aren't fully cemented and so there are quite a few kinks to work out. There are far too many Broncos fans. Documentation is a real sore spot in that I've been told one learns the code via "tribal lore" (though this is also slowly changing).

Keep it up. Make changes slowly, one by one, in order to ensure they are firmly adopted before moving on.

Get better coffee. Some real creamer would be nice, too.

And a ball pit. With a slide.

Low pay/ Bad Benifits

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people/Co workers. Working with the technology.

Cons

No matter how long you work for them your max vacation you can earn is 2 weeks. Lack of communication from middle management. The pay is below industry standards and raises are very small. If you don't start at a good salary you are screwed for many years to come.

Let people earn more vacation than 2 weeks even if its after a few years. Don't base salary on one location when other locations have a higher cost of living. They said they were doing a salary adjustment to industry standards (5/2014). Did not happen for all employees.

Decent Place, if you dont have to deal with upper management

I have been working at EchoStar full-time

Pros

education opportunities if you know who and how to ask, salary if you come in at a good level, work/life balance is better than most places I've worked, good coworkers

Cons

Benefits package is the absolute minimum allowed by law; upper management will tie you up, lay you in the street, buy the bus, and drive it over you; the higher level in management you have to deal with the less professional the interactions.

Quit treating the company and your employees as your personal fiefdom. Professional attitudes and policies from upper management would go a long way towards improving the company.

Great overall experience while working with the company.

I worked at EchoStar full-time

Pros

There were many positive aspects of my work experience with Echostar. The largest being job security. As long as I completed my tasks and responsibilities, my position was guaranteed. The company never had any lay offs of employees.

Cons

There were also challenges during my Echostar experience. One of the greatest challenges being advancement and compensation. However, there was never a dead end, I just had to keep pushing while still performing above and beyond the expectation of leadership.

Some advice to management may be to make communication training and activities mandatary for all employees to attend, including management.

Good people!

Current Employee - Program Manager II  in  Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

EchoStar is a great company. Good people to work with and very skilled at their jobs.

Cons

Wages are low compared to Colorado

Needs more attention to people and their efforts.

Great company

Current Employee - Director  in  Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Germantown, MD

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work environment. Great co-workers. Deep engineering background of the company with blend or service provider culture.

Cons

Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced. Competitive compensation package.

keep up the great work.

it was a good place to work/

I worked at EchoStar

Pros

there is unlimited overtime normally, which is not normal now days. money could be good if you take advantage of that.

Cons

on the other hand much of the time OT can be manditory, and normally they decide when, with no way to change it to work around your life

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!