EchoStar Reviews

Reset
2.9
EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan
Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated (in 8 reviews)

• very good opportunity to learn a lot - you are given all the responsibility you want and then some (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay no advancement, upper management that simply doesn't care about their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced (in 12 reviews)

1. No communication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Magna, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Magna, UT

I have been working at EchoStar (More than a year)

Pros

There is slight flexibility where a big deal is not made if you come in at 9:05am instead of 9am sharp. Co-workers are nice to work with.

Cons

There is a lack of communication. It seems that no one knows what's truly going on because they do not talk to each other. It seems like it's a company run on fear tactics. The medical and dental benefits are a high deductible.

Advice to Management

Communicate.

2. Compression Technician

Current Employee - Technician in Mount Jackson, VA
    Current Employee - Technician in Mount Jackson, VA

I have been working at EchoStar

Pros

Very nice employees. Great managers. Fun atmosphere. Everyone has a sense of humor. Training is paced at how fast you learn.

Cons

Ridiculous amount of things to learn. Many acronyms and other abstract terms. Loads of numbers to memorize.

Advice to Management

There isn't really anything I can say to management. They do a Fantastic job, and they facilitate a relaxed and fun atmosphere. I suppose I'd say keep it up.

3. Technician

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for those with a dales background who like working with their hands. Dish had begun to make their technicians into salesman

Cons

Constant presume to sale. They tell you to not be pushy salesman but yet give you all kinds of quotas

5. Meh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really depends on your department, middle managers at times can be incredibly helpful and you get involved in some interesting projects.

Cons

It's a mixed bag, They really don't pay all that great and upper management tends to view you with disdain but if you get a decent direct manager it can be tolerable.

6. Decent salary, great atmosphere

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty decent if you put in the effort. There are many opportunities to move up and learn, but only if you seek them.

Cons

Industry testing standards (ISTQB) are not met nor enforced. Benefits not very good.

Advice to Management

Invest in more trainings for bottom level testers, present more incentive to go the extra mile.

7. Engineer II

Former Employee - Engineer II in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security is great. You have to really mess something up to get fired.

Cons

Think of this place like an inflatable obstacle course. It is easy to get in but once you're in, they throw everything at you to prevent you from getting promoted. Promotions are handed not on merit but everything else. If you play the political game hard, you can probably advance but then you turn into a politician and we all know they all suck. The job security is also somewhat of a drawback. Sure, you probably won't get fired but that means all the terrible employees that cause more work are kept.

Advice to Management

Change the culture!!! Promote based on merit. Pay employees better. Don't pull stupid reasons for being stingy. Above all else, get better benefits.

8. Its not Dish in name only

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I worked at EchoStar (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of much of a pro. They pay close to market rate,

Cons

Departments are constantly at war with each other. Management spends more time attempting to screw other managers over than actually getting stuff done. The company culture is vindictive, and non-cooperative. On entrance, they repeat that they are not Dish, over and over again. In reality, its a case of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks". The "discount" on dish service is laughable (we actually paid less for tv when I quit and switched our service to Comcast). Benefits were absolute bare minimum all the way around. The health insurance is the ultra high deductible that barely covers anything.

Advice to Management

Considering the corporate culture, I would consider advice to management a waste of time and effort. There is no way they'd listen to anyone.

9. Stay Away

Former Employee - Database and Systems Administrator, Engineer Ll in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Database and Systems Administrator, Engineer Ll in Aurora, CO

I worked at EchoStar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were all good people and current friends.

Cons

After 2 years 11 of the 12 in my group were either forced out or quit. That included my first boss (who hired me), my second boss, and my third boss.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better

10. focus on the future. divest the past

I worked at EchoStar full-time

Pros

M&A is strong pointing towards great vision of the future. Creates opening for implementation all stars

Cons

Slow/archaic supply chain model isn't scalable. Highly recommend putting in younger talent willing to drive suppliers to competitive pricing and lead times

Advice to Management

Get better talent in positions to make a difference in the org.

Great place to start a career - don

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're straight out of college and need a springboard to starting your career, this is a decent place. It helps put some experience on your resume. Do not stay on more than 1 year. Get that base experience and move on.

Cons

Where to begin. Pay is far below industry. Benefits are terrible. International test standards are non-existent. Engineering - oh my god, where to begin. Smh. Let's just say it's not uncommon for developers to quit as soon as a project is set for release. You will work hard and get zero recognition for a job well done. If you make a mistake, you will be nailed for it (think "annual review"). Your chances for promotion are in direct proportion to how close you are to the decision makers. Pay raises are a complete insult (who doesn't love a 3 cents raise after busting their humor all year long?). The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Understand that the people who actually do the work enable you to be where you are. Treating people like they are beneath you and expendable is unnecessary.

RSS Feed </> Embed