EchoStar Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Its not Dish in name only

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I worked at EchoStar (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of much of a pro. They pay close to market rate,

Cons

Departments are constantly at war with each other. Management spends more time attempting to screw other managers over than actually getting stuff done. The company culture is vindictive, and non-cooperative. On entrance, they repeat that they are not Dish, over and over again. In reality, its a case of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks". The "discount" on dish service is laughable (we actually paid less for tv when I quit and switched our service to Comcast). Benefits were absolute bare minimum all the way around. The health insurance is the ultra high deductible that barely covers anything.

Advice to Management

Considering the corporate culture, I would consider advice to management a waste of time and effort. There is no way they'd listen to anyone.

2. Stay Away

Former Employee - Database and Systems Administrator, Engineer Ll in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Database and Systems Administrator, Engineer Ll in Aurora, CO

I worked at EchoStar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were all good people and current friends.

Cons

After 2 years 11 of the 12 in my group were either forced out or quit. That included my first boss (who hired me), my second boss, and my third boss.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better

3. focus on the future. divest the past

I worked at EchoStar full-time

Pros

M&A is strong pointing towards great vision of the future. Creates opening for implementation all stars

Cons

Slow/archaic supply chain model isn't scalable. Highly recommend putting in younger talent willing to drive suppliers to competitive pricing and lead times

Advice to Management

Get better talent in positions to make a difference in the org.

Great place to start a career - don

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're straight out of college and need a springboard to starting your career, this is a decent place. It helps put some experience on your resume. Do not stay on more than 1 year. Get that base experience and move on.

Cons

Where to begin. Pay is far below industry. Benefits are terrible. International test standards are non-existent. Engineering - oh my god, where to begin. Smh. Let's just say it's not uncommon for developers to quit as soon as a project is set for release. You will work hard and get zero recognition for a job well done. If you make a mistake, you will be nailed for it (think "annual review"). Your chances for promotion are in direct proportion to how close you are to the decision makers. Pay raises are a complete insult (who doesn't love a 3 cents raise after busting their humor all year long?). The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Understand that the people who actually do the work enable you to be where you are. Treating people like they are beneath you and expendable is unnecessary.

6. Systems Engineer

Pros

No pros at all for this company.

Cons

Anything you can think of.

7. A foot in the revolving door

Current Employee - Broadcast Operations Technician in Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - Broadcast Operations Technician in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office work that is not physically demanding. Some of the most dedicated people I've had the pleasure to call co-workers. Benefits are adequate. Time off accrues, even for hourly employees. The company is rock solid, and never had rounds of layoffs during the recession.

Cons

For every dedicated, involved, and competent employee there are 2-3 that are not. Career advancement is unlikely. Openings in Mid to Upper Management positions are filled from outside the company, creating stagnation at the lower levels. The work culture is largely based on picking apart every personnel error. High turnover in non-specialized support departments.

Advice to Management

Be clear and reasonable about your expectations. Create pathways for advancement and stick to them. The culture created by publicizing every error is more toxic than the benefits gained from that policy. Be more selective about who you hire. Raise salary levels enough to entice competent workers to join the team. Create a situation where you can choose from the best and brightest, rather than simply hiring some warm bodies and occasionally finding a good employee.

8. Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great culture - Fun atmosphere - Willingness to teach and grow employees - 'Get it done' attitude common across employees

Cons

- Benefits are a bit on the high side - Would prefer more vacation carryover

9. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

The total different culture from Denver-Corporate to Cheyenne-Operational - two different views of how the work should get done. It would be nice if there was a better meeting of the minds in order to sink processes and be more effective.

10. Great employer, lots of opportunities

I have been working at EchoStar (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation, outstanding tuition reimbursement availablity, good benefits, good career paths available

Cons

New employee. No identified downfalls as of yet.

Advice to Management

New employee. No advice to management yet.

11. No bad

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time

Pros

Big company, not too much risk. It is a big company so it has a policy of not taking risks.

Cons

Not a great place to be inspired. It may have good tech but what it does with it may not be that fun.

RSS Feed </> Embed