Ecolab

Ecolab Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.

Doug Baker Jr.

Pros:
  • "Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60"
    in 25 reviews
  • "NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Route Manager

Route Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can make good money if you can SELL! If you learn to balance your work load, maintain your accounts, stay organized, and not let the the service calls stress you out you will do very well. You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards.

ConsStraight salary position and in many weeks you will work well over 40 hrs. You will be on call 24 hrs a day 5 days a week with weekend rotation every 4 to 6 weeks depending on how many route managers in the rotation. You will have trouble making plans due to constantly worrying about getting a service call at night. On weekend rotation you will be responsible for all of the accounts in your district. Upwards of 500 accounts or more. On top of your field work you will be working at home placing orders, doing random reports, E training and answering email. You will also be under tremendous pressure to make a monthly and annual sales target!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf this was an hourly plus commission job you would maintain quality route managers and decrease the cost of constantly training new employees. Also be more honest during interview process.

Growing company with opportunities if you are patient

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

ProsVery financially secure organization that has descent benefits with opportunities if you are willing to "bide your time"

ConsNo work/life balance and if you have tenure and great skillset sometimes you are seen as too valuable to move along

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in systems

High Potentials Need Only Apply

Marketing Administrator (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot sure what the pros are any more, aside from selling a good product

ConsHigh Demand, high stress environment that is not conducive to collaboration, work life balance or any balance at all. Only the few who are considered high potentials seems to thrive. Everyone else is considered and treated as a non-entity and not promotable or necessarily worthy of much of a merit increase. The constant buzz words for the last three years has always been about Culture & Inclusion, but that is just something to make the management feel good about themselves. They honestly don't care and will sacrifice you if you have thoughts or ideas that differ from their own.

Times have changed

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome great people. Company is well know in the industry.

ConsTimes have changed and so has the company. It is a matter of who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Just anther BIG corp. Where profit is more important than it employees.

Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA pay check. Which after working all the hrs is the same as working for someone for 8.50 per hr.

ConsOn call 24 hr per day new management doesn't care about you. Experience means nothing. Vacation no such thing you have to run your route of 115 accounts in 3 weeks to be able to take 1 week off. So you cheat your customer and yourself or you work nonstop for 3 week. Oh yes Ecolab will help you with the pesky family thing most tech have lost there family.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour management is a joke after 7 yr. to pest my loyalty to this is till I fine something else

Increased work, decreased pay

Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany truck with gas card.

ConsI have worked for Ecolab for over 6 years.In the past couple years I have seen: Bonus's taken away, work loads increase by 50+% and pay decreased, long time employee's fired, forced out of positions, demoted and pasted over for promotion with promotions given to people outside the company. My yearly pay raise does not even keep up with the cost of living (averages $8.00 a week / which is Ecolab's standard pay raise for service specialists).In the several years I have worked for Ecolab I have helped get new business, retained business, trained new hires ect.... and there is ZERO reward for your hard work. The sad fact is, we are not employee's we are numbers on paper which no matter how hard you work, they always want more.Ecolab use to be a proud service first / value there employee's company, now it is production over people, numbers only matter company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employee's.Stop demoting them, hiring managers from outside the company and if you increase there work load maybe you could increase there pay.

Worst job ever

I have been working at Ecolab

ProsVery little pro to write about but need. 20 word so here go. It a pay check and you get company truck you pay for tolls and parking and then they reimburse you about a month later.

ConsNo time to spend with your family and you can forget family vacation going out to a dinner with the wife. Plus let's not forget the level of stress placed by management and salespeople. management believe the tech are replaceable and do not care only the bottom dollar that's all. Hr or who ever dose the first interview will tell you that you have 2 week payed vacation what they don't tell you I that you have complete a months worth of work in 3 week or not get payed. And that for one week oh and your vacation can be cancel last min. There co worker who wife giving brith and he has to work. Oh yes if you check most those guy (tech) are not happy at all

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tech is the face of company not the salesman. Truth Is this company would not serve in strong economy with plenty of jobs growth.

Over worked and under paid

Route Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

ProsFree gas, make your own hours, and sales expierience

ConsSpend more time "turning wrenches" and not doing sales. Many outside factors that affect your pay and you cant control it. That just scratches the surface...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bending over your front line ( TMs and RSMs)

Service Delivery Specialist

Service Delivery Specialist (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits are decent and for the most part the staff gets along. Close to home and relatively independent work as long as one does not go against the procedures.

ConsNo career advancement opportunities. Very little communication is an ongoing issue, but there is plenty of critism is passed around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff with respect. Watch the favoritism and staff is not treated the same.

Fantasy vs. Reality

Sales/Service Route Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany Van, Stock purchase plan

ConsNo pay weekend work. Work until 5 and go home to computer work. Commish based salary but will send to other areas to do service and tell you your small salary covers that. 80% service work but want to pay you only for sales work. Customers go past 90 days late and they take commissions back but you still have to the leg work collecting or pulling equipment for FREE. Have to rely on food reps to sell products and have no control of ordering for that part of business but that affects you're budget goals. Management has no problem lying to team. Have had a few managers since I took job and both have been divorced, I bet due to the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are not tools in the Ecolab shed. We are people with families.

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ecolab reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ecolab CEO Doug Baker Jr. All 324 reviews posted anonymously by Ecolab employees.