Ecolab Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 39 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits, fantastic stocks, a company of hyper workaholics and sales drivers.

Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, opportunities to move up, most people in upper management started out in the field. Solid company with high ethical standards. Company vehicle, phone, and uniforms.

Cons

Upper management is always looking for ways to drive sales. They push the field service reps for higher numbers at all levels. They like quantifiable stats so reps are always filling out quota reports and are pushed for more and more info. I was a good service person but only fair at sales. When our division went to commission just as the economy slowed in 2009 my pay dropped significantly but my work load increased even more. If you are type A that loves to sell, good for you but you have to fix complex problems and deal with frantic customers who are hours away and demanding instant service late on a Saturday night. You cover a large territory and when you're our someone has to drive for hours to take your calls and visa-versa. You get time off but have to work like heck before and after to keep up. It's part of the job but it can be tough after a while.

I know many people who are good at service but feel super stressed with the sales focus. I also know some who enjoy the sales but can't deal with the difficult service calls. Good troubleshooters and mechanics rarely make good sales people. It stresses them out and makes the quality of life not so good. I liked talking with customers about solutions I believed in but I hated being forced to do it to hit some quota and make some middle managers look good upstairs.

Great Company!

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I recommend working for Ecolab to get a quick deep dive into learning the business.

Cons

No training, very little leadership at mid level organization.

Great Company

Current Employee - TSM
    Current Employee - TSM

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Fantastic benefits and pay. GREAT products. Doing something that matters is a plus also.

Cons

Work / life is not so balanced

Reformed policies to ensure better work life balance

Great but be willing to play the game

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of work, rapidly growing company. The are expanding all over the world. Alot of employees have worked there for many years.

Cons

Difficult to get ahead as a woman. If you want to succeed you must be willing to play the game and not necessarily agree with the senior leadership.

Really consider who you are hiring for senior leadershp. What is their motivation? How do they treat their employees? Vendors? Consultants?

Stable, Growing Company with Positive Values and a lot of Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability; promising industry; professional growth opportunities; busy; fast-paced; positive impact on the world - feel like you're playing a part to help to make the world cleaner, safer, healthier; great people to learn from and work with; customer focused; opportunity to have impact in your work

Cons

Limited budget-fiscally conservative (however, the reason for stability and longevity); lack of work/life balance - for the most part, people operate to max capacity

Work and Stress is not worth the pay.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice having a company car to use for work and personal use. Bad thing is your carrying so much equipment you really never use it for personal use. Healthy benefits are ok and retirement is good if you can stick around long enough. If you can get a territory in a metro area you are golden avoid rural territory's.

Cons

Good Luck taking time off in the field. Pay is low regarding your on call 24 hours a day and taking care of rental machines that you don't make any money off of. Using your money to travel and take care of you customers and rental machines. Storing all equipment in your personal garage and not being able to park 2 cars inside.

Time to think about the future and stop running the field like they did 30 years ago.

Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent company with ample opportunity to grow within the company. Very in-depth training program, and everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.

Cons

Call Center atmosphere, high call volume, but all in all not many cons.

Great experience

Current Employee - SSDM in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - SSDM in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to build your career

Cons

30,000 plus products to sell.

Keep reinvent yourself.

At the end of the day it's a white male company

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few sprinkling of good talent at the leadership. That too, since I've left has diminished. Good product, solid financial results.

Cons

Unless you're a white male with an MBA, forget about ever being successful here. If you hunt and are "Minnesotan" then thats leadership material right there.... if not, don't bother. The whole culture and inclusion was just a big drama led by the CFO who's no longer there anyway.... crappy pay, stupid braincell killing monthly analysis paralysis work. ...

Be real and do the right thing.

Could use improvement

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Great co-workers, many who are extremely knowledgeable as to who to go to when you can not get answers from your supervisor.

Cons

No clear direction as to who you report to, pulled in many different directions, work/life balance was next to nothing.