Ecolab

www.ecolab.com

Ecolab Reviews

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 39 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Freelance

Former Employee - Contract in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Contract in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They are busy and present a professional and organized appearance as a corporation.

Cons

Do not freelance for this company. They do not pay their contract employees until after 90-120 days, and then you have to badger them.

Mass Exodus of Top Talent - Avoid At All Costs

Former Employee - Principal Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Nice coworkers
    - Flexible work hours when needed
    - Safety was paramount

Cons

- No work-life balance
    - Mediocre compensation (average salaries are typically 20% under market, no matter what Ecolab/Nalco tells you)
    - No company culture whatsoever
    - No training
    - Zero delivery on promises

This company can best be described as a stepping stone. I would not recommend it to anybody.

There is no emphasis on technical/manufacturing excellence:
    - It is very difficult to keep production equipment (reactors, pumps, piping, etc.) in top shape if there is little support from the company in terms of financial resources and maintenance personnel for repairs. There are no reliability engineers, maintenance engineers, rotating equipment engineers, etc. Yet management cannot connect the dots as to why equipment keeps breaking.
    - There isn't an adequate project department to execute projects within a set timeframe and within budget. The term "front end engineering" is not known here. And if somebody has heard of it; they don't actually know how to actually carry it out. Most projects are carried out on the back of a napkin and designed as its being constructed (instead of designed in detail before constructed). Management is shocked every time a project falls on its face.
    - There is a corporate engineering department, but it is downsized by nearly 75% of its former glory days. So there aren't many subject matter experts or senior resources for advice.

If you are a high-performer (what the company would call "top talent), I would recommend that you pass this company up entirely. Just cross it off your list. They are not equipped to develop and mentor "top talent". I was recruited as a high-performer at this company and was promised many things when I started. None of these promises ever materialized. I was distinguished by an award for being in their top 1% and received several 10% annual pay increases. I hated working here so much, I would not stay if they doubled my salary.

There are many much better employers in the market to join, instead of falling into the Ecolab/Nalco sink hole. Several top engineers left the company at the same time I did, and we are all much happier (both professionally and personally) where we are now.

Never start to believe that what you see at Ecolab/Nalco is "normal" or "industry standard". It is not. Avoid this company at all costs (no matter what they promise, or what salary they offer you).

It was the worst years of my life.

You need a management intervention.

Your chemical plants are falling apart. You cannot execute projects. You have sub-par maintenance capabilities. You are losing top talent at a shocking rate.

You have too many levels of middle-management. You have 45,000 employees yet only bring in $14B in revenues ($300,000 revenue per employee). You are an inefficient company. I recommend starting to trim your seas of middle management. You have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

You are a joke of a management team. Your direct reports tell you what you want to hear: that you're a great leader. And you're too isolated from the core of your company to realize it isn't true.

Horrific

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was sometimes interesting, the international travel was interesting.

Cons

I had a horrible experience; I worked very hard and did good work, which was not only not rewarded but seemed threatening to my male bosses. I am also a mom of a young child, for which I felt I was held back. I was willing to work long hours and travel but when I attempted to draw some boundaries I was punished and ridiculed. Really take a look at how many women there are in finance at a director level or above. And how many of them have children? There are very few, and the smartest and most talented leave. You really do have to be a young, good-looking white male with MBA to suceed here. If you are politicallly conservative and you hunt, fish or golf you will probably do well.

I had four different bosses in the four years I worked at Ecolab. Three of them were bullies and had no sense of what it meant to be an ethical person. The one who wasn`t a jerk left.

I witnessed a lot of bullying and unfair treatment during my four years there, much of it directed against women over 35 and men who were originally not from the US. I cannot understand why this is not only tolerated but is an accepted part of the culture.
    The bonus system is absurd, as the amount an individual receives is in great part determined by the direct managers. A reward system should be fairly applied, not whimsical.

HR condones bullies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

No pros, the management in HR does not understand policy.

Cons

HR promotes bullies and promotes bad leadership

Learn to manage

Big Problems at Ecolab. Service territory too big to cover efficiently, training stinks.

Former Employee - Sales and Service Route Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Route Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Ecolab full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only positives from this job was a company van you could keep at home, and the pay was decent.

Cons

PureForce Training in the field was poor. Upper management knew of this problem and ignored it. Territory was way too large to service existing accounts adequately, therefore many customers went without service visits for over a month, sometimes more. Company was bleeding accounts because of repeated dissatisfied customers. Family time very limited due to the fact you are on call 24 hours a day. Don't make any plans on the weekend either, you can get a call at 8pm on a Saturday night 4 hours away, and off you go.

Need to add additional service team members to cover territories properly.
    Better field trainers needed.

US-centric company, not a good place to work if you are in another country

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge company with many business units and great opportunities for those in Sales. Rated as one of the 100 most innovative companies by Forbes magazine.

Cons

Compensation is always below standard market practice. Employees are not considered assets and that is reflected on the very high turnover rate.

Upper management should take employee engagement surveys more seriously.

Terrible Company QSR

Current Employee - Territory Representative in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits: Car, free gas, and stock options.

Cons

Terrible salary, terrible training, and terrible managers.

Pest Elimination Division Service Specialist for 6 years.

Current Employee - Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of.

Cons

Management is slow to respond to employee's needs, and disorganized. No real vacation time, no real Holiday off, no real day off because you're on 24/7 call. Too much work with little support from management. When someone leaves everyone is burdened with taking up the slack. People are tired all the time a risk for accidents to happen . No real family time, the company has cut out the family from any company activities. No pay for working overtime , most of the time extra customer calls we do for free because it falls within our guarantee.

Why management treats their workers poorly since it is the workers that really bring in the cash, not the managers is beyond me.

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Ability to set own hours, boss is 500 miles away

Cons

Divisional Management for Textile Care are some of the most unethical/unprofessional people I have met in 30 years of business

None

Not Good to be here

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pune (India)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Slowly improving but not much

Cons

Work life balance is bad and absolutely no flexibility

Need to understand employees...