Ecolab Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Work life balance-strong leader in the industry (in 18 reviews)

• take company vehicle home every night (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is not there (in 39 reviews)

• if you do come on board you will be on call 24/7 even on your weekends off and forget about trying to get a holyday off (in 30 reviews)

If Ecolab offers you a job, RUN!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor II in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor II in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

Opportunities for advancement do exist. It may be possible for a relatively junior employee to hold a position of above average responsibility. The company is a top performer financially - it's a great company to invest in. The company has a long history of success and offers stable employment. Despite being a bumbling idiot of a company, they continue to make money hand over fist. If they ever get it right, look out!

Cons

The company is sales focused and driven, manufacturing facilities and infrastructure are an afterthought. There is a huge disconnect between "the ivory tower" in St. Paul and the rest of the company. Compensation packages for professionals are typically below average. There is absolutely no HR function. There is a severe lack of organization, structure and control of the process. The manufacturing facilities are antiquated, filthy and run like Chinese sweat-shops. Morale is generally piss-poor, across multiple sites and several levels of responsibility. There are far too few people to accomplish the workload that exists, and new tasks and procedures keep cropping up with no additional resources given to complete them. Senior management is full of micro-managers that will not allow people to grow professionally.

Advice to Management

Perform some house cleaning at the senior levels. There have been a lot of talented young people that have left the company because they have been stifled, unsupported and thwarted by the "good old boys club" at every turn.

EL the next Johnson Diversey. All hail Proctor and Gamble!!!!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

You get some degree of freedom. It's fun to have a small amount of control over your pay check.

Cons

The year I spent with Ecolab I was tied to my phone 24-7. No training. I lost a lot of respect from my customers because I was never given the resources and training to do my job. I learned more in one month working for EL's competitor then I did in one year with EL and all their training programs. EL breeds a culture of unmet promises. Every area manager, district manager, and territory manager I met had no problem telling anyone anything they wanted to hear and then conviently forgetting the promises that were made. Never expect your manager to do what he tells you he will do. Never expect pay outs on contests and sales objectives, and don't expect any compensation for gas and other expenses no matter how many times your boss promises to pay you for them. Do however, expect them to sue you if you go to the competition and take a sh-t load of business from them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. What ever you do please keep taking your rural territories for granted. As a competitor your making our jobs easy.

3. the company has changed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

the benefits were for the most part very good, if you were told about them.peer employees were almost always willing to help you in a pinch.

Cons

the only way to be promoted is to have a "good old boy" go to bat for you or be a good old boy yourself. your customer is only there to become a dumping ground for whatever is the latest and greatest new overpriced product that can be shoved down their throat. respect from upper management is non-existent at best and you don't get much more from your immediate supervisors either.

Advice to Management

realize that the force in the field are the ones actually making the money for this company and treat them with more respect

Middle Management is ruled by Yes men

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

They provide a car, and the benefits are very good. If you have little experience It is a good job to learn account management, although you must be very self sufficient in order to survive. There is no office, so you have complete freedom to make your own schedule.

Cons

I really enjoyed the job, but became disappointed with the way management treated employees. Management puts out unrealistic goals, doesn't offer adequate coaching, and acts shocked when their team falls short. We did have a leadership change at the area level that I feel was the major factor in the negative change of culture. The current District Managers don't work with their employees. They have no idea what is going on in their district. If they rode with their TM's they would have a good understanding of how each territory differs. Middle management is either afraid of their boss or doing what ever they need to do to get promoted. This is probably the biggest problem within the company, because they tell their direct superiors only what they want to hear. This creates a huge gap in information on what is actually happening in the field to those who run the company. I want to be clear that every area of the country is different. I have friends that work in different parts of the country and have great things to say about their bosses, so it just depends on where you are located. If you are in an area with strong support and management you will have a great experience. If I were going to join the company I would ask for a detailed plan of what your training would consist of. I've seen too many good people come through and receive inadequate training only to be fired for poor performance.

Advice to Management

Not having a national competitor has made Ecolab a little too comfortable. Ecolab has enough weaknesses that if a strong enough competitor came along it could do major damage to you. Understand that your employees are your best asset, and the only reason customers are willing to pay what you are asking for your chemicals.

6. No personal time and not much for developing engineering skills

Current Employee - Production Supervisor II in Huntington, IN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor II in Huntington, IN

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

Decent senior management, fair amount of training regarding Ecolab system, external safety training, etc

Cons

Absolutely no personal time (plant is setup for 5 day work week. Many weeks - and generally all of summer, is 7 day operation. With 4-5 supervisors, that equals about 60-80 hours per week at times - sometimes more. Majority of day is spent reviewing hundred plus page packaging records (did an operator place a "T" or "F" for a quality check. Not very motivating for an engineer. Complaints of bias in promotions has some truth, but when you are working all those hours, my concern was much more on getting home than who got promoted. Magazine reports of great place to work is based on HQ and not plant environment. Of course HQ has high ratings - 5 day/40 hour work week, onsite bank+ perks, etc. would be great.

Advice to Management

Create better work/personal life balance.

Short-sighted idiocracy

Former Employee - Production Supervisor II in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor II in Joliet, IL

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Relatively high salary Ability to advance

Cons

Short sighted. Even ideas with a 6 month payback period are too "long term". Unsafe. Storage of acids and bases together. Unvented reactions. Unhealthy. Think of EPA permissible levels as "goals"

Advice to Management

Invest in your own future. Treat your union employees with some respect. Dispose of chemicals properly (this means not a little bit down the drain every day).

Worst career decision ever made...

Current Employee - Finance Administrative Supervisor in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Administrative Supervisor in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

Limited likelihood of lay-offs, good benefit options, you'll always have something to do and no 2 days will ever be the same.

Cons

Very little vacation, low pay and no work/life flexibility for supervisors of non-exempt staff. Only the "chosen ones" are given development opportunities and promotions, the rest of us are just left to plow through the work and not rock the boat. If you happen to fit the Ecolab mold, they'll love you and you'll love them, but if you do not "bleed blue" you'll most likely feel pretty excluded and ignored.

Advice to Management

Recognize that Financial Analysts are not the only associates that bring value to your company. You would get nothing accomplished if you didn't have non-exempt associates and their supervisors to do the work the analysts won't lower themselves, or stop "networking" long enough to do.

Stay away

Former Employee - SENIOR SERVICE SPECIALIST, PEST DIVISION in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - SENIOR SERVICE SPECIALIST, PEST DIVISION in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Benefits are actually pretty good. Salary seems reasonable, until you calculate it on an hourly scale. Coworkers mostly a great group. It's just the management that ruins everything.

Cons

Recent management is terrible. I started 9 years ago and was very happy until the last few years. I eventually quit to start my own business, mainly because the management had become so poor. Managers don't discuss anything with you. They don't want or appreciate any input from the people who are out there doing the actual work. Poor decisions are the result. Terrible work/life balance. Meager vacation. Always on call, 16 hours per day including weekends and holidays. New management strategy seems to be focused on replacing all the long time employees with new trainees. Employee morale is at an all time low and is getting worse by the day.

OK place to work if you are one of the "In" crowd.

Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Benefits (but they are expensive) The Pension plan is first rate Employee product/stock purchase plan Nice public transportation subsidy Continuing education subsidy

Cons

Work life balance needs improvment Talant pipeline is nice but not followed Manager are promoted into power positions who do not understand the specific buiness of the division.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about how employees are valued and start acting like it. Hold on to talent and stop letting associates who know the business leave.

Horrible!!! Unpaid weekend coverage!! No vacation!! Gas out of pocket!! Run!!

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

paid car and insurance, thats it.

Cons

no vacations management is sneaky dirty dishmachines under paid no work/life balance when on call 24/7

RSS Feed </> Embed