Ecolab Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.9

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 33 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovative ethical performance

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Solid company values, reasonable compensation with excellent benefits, opportunities for growth and leadership in select business areas (significant challenges in others), product and service mix contributes to adequate to excellent performance in wide range of market conditions

Cons

Major acquisitions over last few years continue to show promise but have also created challenges related to consolidation of multiple entities from operational, personnel and financial perspectives.

Focus on development, retention, reassignment of valued employees & consultants during ongoing consolidation and growth

US-centric company, not a good place to work if you are in another country

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge company with many business units and great opportunities for those in Sales. Rated as one of the 100 most innovative companies by Forbes magazine.

Cons

Compensation is always below standard market practice. Employees are not considered assets and that is reflected on the very high turnover rate.

Upper management should take employee engagement surveys more seriously.

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NO schedule, you manage your customer

Cons

be available 24/7 all year around

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working for this great company

Former Employee - Assembler/Packer  in  Columbus, MS
    Former Employee - Assembler/Packer in Columbus, MS

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great environment

Cons

getting the job done, focus on customers and the value, of the quality products.

keep up the good work ethics

Good company if you work for the right team

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

wide variety of experience
    great work enviorment

Cons

it is all about who you know

Good place to work

Former Employee - Route Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Route Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost every aspect was enjoyable

Cons

Mechanical work taking prescience over sales

Listen to your feet on the street

Good scope and scale.

I worked at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Great teams within the company and my experience has been excellent in that respect. Great technologies to work with and a lot of scope for travel and large scale project work.

Cons

Multiple acquisitions and large recent mergers have caused a lot or reorganisation in the company. Many knowledgeable workers left out in the cold. A lot of pressures to deliver short term cost savings and frequent management changes left many long term initiatives incomplete, or abandoned.

Focus more on building and maintaining the business and quality employees than on the high level share-price-based decisions.

Caught in a trap

Current Employee - Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Service Specialist

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company truck with gas card

Cons

I have worked for Ecolab for several years.In the past few years I have seen: Bonus's taken away, commission and invoices cut, work loads increase and pay decreased, long time employee's forced out of positions, demoted and pasted over for promotion with promotions given to people outside the company, our yearly pay raise cut by 50%. Warning to new hires: If you start a career at Ecolab as a Service Specialist, under there new pay raise system you will not receive any raise for the first 4 years, on your 5th year IF the year is an even number you will get a $9.00 a week raise, then get that same lame raise every other year.Maybe you will feel better knowing that upper management gets 7 to 12% pay raises and our CEO gets 1.2 to 1.7 million dollar pay raises. To sum up: My first couple years working for Ecolab we use to have a motto "5 stops and done" which meant, take care of the customer, do 5 quality stops a day.Now it is:Do 8 stops a day and keep going, get new customers, up sell / do add on business or do not go home until you up sell at least $2,500.00 every month (our manager actually said this ), work Saturday and Sunday might be worth noting we get paid HALF time for our over time hours which for most is $10.00 per hour for our over time hours. The funniest part of this all is upper management seems surprised that the in field / face of the company workers are burnt out and morale is at a all time low and they truly seem to be wondering why, hell many times they blame us, we where recently all told "Pull up your panties and deal with it" which after all our senior techs have been forced to deal with over the years, was just what we needed to boost morale!

I already tried talking and know, no one is listening.

Very driven for its investors not so much for its employees, especially after two major acquisitions

Former Employee - Senior Procurement Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Procurement Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to try out different things internally. Energy Services is doing well and been recognized as the growth engine for the organisation. Willing to take risks with younger folks. Merit gets recognized with greater responsibiltiy.

Cons

Will limit compensation or monetary recognition by internal policy guidelines but will hire talent from ourside at higher than market cost if necesary. This results in loss of years of investment in the employee, networking, break down of continuity..etc

Recognize and promote talent better else your competition or the market will get them. Most smart and well performing employees know their worth in the market place.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Operations Specialist  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Eagan, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work, great leadership, great perks, loved the fast paced environment, and my coworkers

Cons

None! Loved everything about it

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!