Ecolab Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.9

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 33 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

for a company that emphasizes efficiency they are very wasteful

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

Pros

the money is good if you don't want a personal life. truly unlimited earning potential. take company vehicle home every night. company paid smart phone and good benefit package. almost complete independence. "make your own schedule"(see cons)

Cons

extreme route change without notice. fluctuating pay, long hours, strange hours, high expectations with no management support. Upper management talks a big game about taking care of people first, but money is not everything. Middle management ignores requests for help and blame you when things go wrong. you do not own your time 24/7, you are at the mercy of your customers as far as that goes. vacations are a complete lie. spend a lot of money on corporate dinners, paper reports, annual meetings, ecolab "schwag", and frivolous things that could go to field associates.

HIRE PEOPLE! when a route is open other associates are forced to work outside of their area without notice.

I enjoyed working for this great company

Former Employee - Assembler/Packer  in  Columbus, MS
    Former Employee - Assembler/Packer in Columbus, MS

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great environment

Cons

getting the job done, focus on customers and the value, of the quality products.

keep up the good work ethics

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NO schedule, you manage your customer

Cons

be available 24/7 all year around

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Operations Specialist  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Eagan, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work, great leadership, great perks, loved the fast paced environment, and my coworkers

Cons

None! Loved everything about it

Good company if you work for the right team

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

wide variety of experience
    great work enviorment

Cons

it is all about who you know

Very driven for its investors not so much for its employees, especially after two major acquisitions

Former Employee - Senior Procurement Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Procurement Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to try out different things internally. Energy Services is doing well and been recognized as the growth engine for the organisation. Willing to take risks with younger folks. Merit gets recognized with greater responsibiltiy.

Cons

Will limit compensation or monetary recognition by internal policy guidelines but will hire talent from ourside at higher than market cost if necesary. This results in loss of years of investment in the employee, networking, break down of continuity..etc

Recognize and promote talent better else your competition or the market will get them. Most smart and well performing employees know their worth in the market place.

Great Place for Trustworthy Motivated Employees

I worked at Ecolab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great job if you like working alone, owning your territory and making good money. Company vehicle was perk and first level management was outstanding.

Cons

Travel can get excessive at times. Sometimes lofty expectations caused issues between sales and service.

Take a ride with your techinicians in the field. Spend a week with them during an installation or a normal PM trip. Choose one that not in the haven of the twin cities.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab as a contractor

Pros

Lots of upward mobility, great people, good cause.

Cons

A lot of contractor employees to decrease company cost.

Almost 20 years extermination

Current Employee - Service Specialist  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You are allowed to schedule the work given to you the way you feel is best for you & the customer. (See cons) Other than security cameras you work on an Honor System. No one stands over your shoulder. You can build good friendships with your customers. You can expense work related tools & supplies. Foot wear vouchers, eye wear, & uniforms are provided. Company vehicle & a fuel card are provided. Equipment & products you need are provided

Cons

Where to begin? When I went to work almost 20 years ago, Ecolab had a high energy, high enthusiasm, what can the Management Team do for you culture. You were appreciated for who you were & what you did.
     Their motto was " We do a few accts . & we do the well". The Field Assoc. were proud to put on the uniform that said ECOLAB. They were proud to show up at the customers door step in a full size Service Vehicle dubbed the "Rolling Warehouse" Today this an a company that fell of it's pedestal. It wasn't pushed or knocked off. It FELL OFF on its own.
         MORAL, Moral is deplorable. They used to give good awards & recognition to the Assoc, for their achievements & hard work. Just to save $$$ the company stopped doing so. They decided that handing out little plastic .02 coins showed enough appreciation. They used to give Christmas card, Birthday cards, & a nice Christmas ornament to the Assoc. They again decided to save the $$$. NOTHING NOW. No Christmas parties. They used to give out calendars to all the customers & a decent flip over calendar to the Assoc. NOW Nothing. Just to save a few $$$. They stopped the annual meetings. Main reason? You guessed it $$$ But not only that, They also know the Assoc. are hurting so it is easy not to have to look at them. They did however bring back the Annual meetings this year
         COMPENSATION, There is no compensation if you do anything extra for this company. Such as attending conferences, helping fellow Assoc. Unloading the warehouse truck, equipment maintenance, customer relations., etc. There is NO extra compensation for working nights, working weekend duty which is 24/7, working holidays, travel time, answering calls for a fellow Assoc. who happens to get lucky enough to take a vacation. (See below)
           PAY RAISES. VIRTUALLY NONE. They have a rehearsed answer. "You want more $$$ do more work or sell more services". That was a nice response when you had 60 acts or so. Now Assoc. are being required to work triple digit acts each month. That is their pay raise. The commission rate has been at the same scale for OVER 30 YEARS. However last year they finally gave a 100.00 increase. That is basically a penny a day commission increase. During different increments of your employment they will give you every 2 years a 500.00 base pay increase. which comes out to about .25 an hour base pay increase. If you work hard & grow your route, They will cut your route. Yes, you guessed it your pay will get cut also. They have no concerns about your bills or family. Their response is "JUST DEAL WITH IT" You are basically punished for doing a good job.
          VACATIONS, HAHA, What a JOKE. 1st of all The vacation policy was written about 1983. It has NEVER been updated to my knowledge. That was when ASSOC. had about 60 acts. & worked 3 of the 4 weeks of there month. The last week of the month was used for PR, maintenance, follow ups, call backs, NEW accts. meetings, & time off etc. Ever since 2000, Assoc are required to work triple digit acts, ALL 4 weeks. Depending upon your length of employment, you are allotted different amounts of weeks off. If you want vacation, you are told "Yeah take vacation, BUT YOU HAD BETTER GET YOUR WORK DONE" You have to work 4 weeks of work with in 3 weeks to take time off. You have NO HELP I repeat, NO HELP from any of the managers. They run like scared squirrels or cockroaches when you say the word VACATION. Your Coworkers are required to answer your calls for you even tho they are booked solid. You have to work you days off to take days off. You & your Family suffer because you are exhausted. Or your customers suffer because you are trying to condense time & you are not able to be as thorough so that you can GET YOUR WORK DONE. Your coworkers DONOT get compensated for answering your calls. Don't worry, When or if they take a vacation you will be required to answer their calls even tho you have a full 4 weeks of work to perform. You are not compensated if you don't take your allotted days off. SURPRISE!!!! You are essentially punished for taking time off.
         HOLIDAYS, You are on call. Without compensation. If you have to get your work done, Open your gifts some other time.
        WORK LOAD, ASSOC are exhausted. They usually spend their 'DOWN TIME" sleeping. They miss out on time with their FAMILIES & FRIENDS because they are behind in their chores, or sleep.
        QUALITY OF LIFE / WORK LIFE BALANCE, NONE. You wake up to go to work , Many ASSOC. work double digit hours daily. The management won't even bring up the subject. I wonder why.
        SAFETY, They talk a good talk. They continuously compare us to NALCO. Yet Nalco doesn't have up to 150 or more acts. They NEVER talk about work load, exhaustion or fatigue. But they do say here is another acct. Better be safe.

Got out from behind the desk & corporate boardrooms. Stop being afraid to see & meet the Field Assoc. in their environment. Experience first hand their frustrations, sacrifices & the HELL they put up with on a daily, weekly, & monthly basis. You want the GLORY DAYS of double digit growth? Then you need to do a better job of communicating with the Front Line Field Level Assoc. Talk with the Field Team that was here during the Glory Days. You will quickly notice what is different between the 2 generations.Tell your family members that there are no more VACATIONS, HOLIDAY TIME OFF, PAY RAISES, etc, because you took them away from the Field Level Assoc.

Caught in a trap

Current Employee - Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Service Specialist

I have been working at Ecolab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company truck with gas card

Cons

I have worked for Ecolab for several years.In the past few years I have seen: Bonus's taken away, commission and invoices cut, work loads increase and pay decreased, long time employee's forced out of positions, demoted and pasted over for promotion with promotions given to people outside the company, our yearly pay raise cut by 50%. Warning to new hires: If you start a career at Ecolab as a Service Specialist, under there new pay raise system you will not receive any raise for the first 4 years, on your 5th year IF the year is an even number you will get a $9.00 a week raise, then get that same lame raise every other year.Maybe you will feel better knowing that upper management gets 7 to 12% pay raises and our CEO gets 1.2 to 1.7 million dollar pay raises. To sum up: My first couple years working for Ecolab we use to have a motto "5 stops and done" which meant, take care of the customer, do 5 quality stops a day.Now it is:Do 8 stops a day and keep going, get new customers, up sell / do add on business or do not go home until you up sell at least $2,500.00 every month (our manager actually said this ), work Saturday and Sunday might be worth noting we get paid HALF time for our over time hours which for most is $10.00 per hour for our over time hours. The funniest part of this all is upper management seems surprised that the in field / face of the company workers are burnt out and morale is at a all time low and they truly seem to be wondering why, hell many times they blame us, we where recently all told "Pull up your panties and deal with it" which after all our senior techs have been forced to deal with over the years, was just what we needed to boost morale!

I already tried talking and know, no one is listening.

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!