Ecolab Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 38 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Ecolab in Review

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You are given the autonomy to set your own schedule.Medical Benefits are OK, however they are dwindling away each year as larger deductibles/premiums take a larger portion of the paycheck.

Cons

Very poor work life balance. Your responsible for 24/7/365 work schedule. Training is poor and web based. While this is OK, it really doesn't help in the "Real World".

The company has become very top heavy with management over the last several years. While the institutional division hasn't really grown much over the last few years, management has. The management team will fill you with lip service, however at the end of the day, it's all about EPS (Wall Street Investors). The field in New England for the most part, especially RSM's are overloaded with customers. This leads to poor attitudes and high turnover. Ultimately, the customer suffers. Management (non productive) isn't needed .... Productive field employees are needed to relieve the RSM's of a growing Lease Machine business.

OK company

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

good pay and good benefits

Cons

they don't care about people

Management is for themselves.

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

Stable company, continues to grow and expand. Works at sustainability for themselves and other companies. Some good people to work with and learn from.

Cons

Little to no work life balance. Don't take care of the people that do the everyday work and keep the business running and profitable.

Treat your employees better and moral will start to improve.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab as a contractor

Pros

Lots of upward mobility, great people, good cause.

Cons

A lot of contractor employees to decrease company cost.

Nice place to work.

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Great company to be part of

Cons

Upward mobility is limited in Logistics.

Ecolab

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

Make my own schedule, pretty autonomous job, company vehicle

Cons

Company bends over backwards for clients at the expense of the person doing the work

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, great flex-benefits, good pay, caring managers.

Cons

No direction from a corporate it perspective. Senior/executive management does not care if people leave as long as you make plan.

Get and IT direction and move forward with it. You are a multi-billion dollar company with multiple ERP systems pick one and consolidate. You would be surprised how much your sales and company improve from everyone pulling in the same direction

Terrible Company QSR

Current Employee - Territory Representative in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits: Car, free gas, and stock options.

Cons

Terrible salary, terrible training, and terrible managers.

Pest Elimination Division Service Specialist for 6 years.

Current Employee - Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of.

Cons

Management is slow to respond to employee's needs, and disorganized. No real vacation time, no real Holiday off, no real day off because you're on 24/7 call. Too much work with little support from management. When someone leaves everyone is burdened with taking up the slack. People are tired all the time a risk for accidents to happen . No real family time, the company has cut out the family from any company activities. No pay for working overtime , most of the time extra customer calls we do for free because it falls within our guarantee.

Why management treats their workers poorly since it is the workers that really bring in the cash, not the managers is beyond me.

If you don't want a life work here

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great team in my area that provided assistance as much as possible for each other.

Cons

24/7/365!!!!!!!!!!! I have not been with the company for over two months and still receive calls on my personal cell phone at all hours of the night asking for me to come out and fix something. This job would b e great if it was either a sales or service position. It is very difficult to do both and have any type of home life. I traveled over 800 miles per week and while they provided a company gas guzzler that I needed to have to transport the 1000's of items that i might need to fix who knows what - they provided me 325.00 per month to cover my gas and cell bill. Even with the help of a great team it was still nearly impossible to do this job without working at least 65 to 70 hours per week and that does not include the weekends when you are on call covering vast areas.

Bring back service managers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Treat your people with respect and reachable goals that do not go through the roof each year!!!!!!! Small realistic adjustment per year would be good. You are squeezing the life out your people and they are leaving quickly!!!!!!!! Get back to reality and maybe spend a month out in the field again to get a clue that cross roads did not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!