Ecolab Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
475 reviews filtered by

Was great, downhill after acquisitions

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Originally great teamwork, lots of opportunity to learn and try different areas in your department. Two of the projects I am most proud of to date happened at Ecolab. CEO does a great job from my viewpoint. Benefits are decent, stock purchase plan is nice.

Cons

Some overbearing management overshadows some of the other great leaders. After two acquisitions the sprawl of management and extreme bureaucracy makes life stressful. Teamwork has decreased. I don't think the employees are less willing to help, but they can't keep up with unrealistic workload and expectations . So much time is spent fighting fires that thinking long term and truly fixing issues doesn't get much attention.

Management has lost touch with the employees and what is operationally reasonable. Work life balance is out the window. Sometimes spending money toward a long term enterprise solution is worth it. Stop stepping over dollars to pickup nickels.

Great company... Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

The company really knows how to grow and how to keep their business happy... Company car, cell phone, and computer for the rep

Cons

EXTREME MICRO MANAGEMENT!!! Beware of this before you start! You have the freedom to make your own schedule but your management team will hoover over you during everything and a soon as anyone in you district doesn't impress then it's time for weekly conference calls!

Chill out! Let us do our jobs and the turnover won't be so outrageous

3. Good opportunities depending on your manager

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for if you want flexibility and they provide a nice company vehicle. Many perks and can make money.

Cons

Limited room for advancement Your territory can constantly change which could offset your pay. Tend to promote based on sales rather then leadership or management skills which many district managers end up demoted or stepping down.

Change their promotion process.

5. Route sales manager

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good earning potential if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Long hours and weekends.

Route Sales

Former Employee - Hospitality Territory Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Hospitality Territory Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package is good with company vehicle or gas card, expense card with all the perks expected of a good company.

Cons

Very demanding work load including weekend service calls for most positions. Service related positions require using your own storage arrangements for spare equipment parts. Life Work balance is extremely challenging. The trade off is good pay. Some room for promotions or transfers to other divisions or positions.

Provide full disclosure to all aspects of work without marginalizing time and skill needed to perform tasks. Be hands on to help.

Good company that is still growing

Current Employee - Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company vehicle, fuel, insurance

Cons

No overtime pay

Reward more money or incentives

8. Admin Assist

Current Employee - Administrative Assist in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assist in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly working environment. Busy, learned something new every day.

Cons

Laid off after injury. HR has not helped or assisted in finding a position.

9. Overall a great company.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a good company, definitely a place you and start and end your career and everyone feels like family.

Cons

Very hard to work your way up, moreso who you know as opposed to what you know. Promotions based on friends and seniority.

Route Sales Manager.

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company Vehicle with paid gas. Corporate expense card. Full benefits 401K medical dental and vision. That's about it.

Cons

Where do I begin. Terrible work life balance. Bad morale and micromanagement. The company is more interested in sales than taking care of customers. Being on call for customers 24 hours a day. Customers have extremely high expectations and do not take responsibility for themselves or their actions. Customers feel like it's okay to treat you like trash because of the promises made the company. A lot of workplace politics, a person that is skilled will never get promoted no matter how good their numbers are as long as they don't run in the correct circles. Claims to be a very family oriented company but it's farthest from the truth.

The management needs to get in touch with its employees they are extremely out of touch. Need to find a way to give the employee a better worklife balance.

Great benefits, fantastic stocks, a company of hyper workaholics and sales drivers.

Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, opportunities to move up, most people in upper management started out in the field. Solid company with high ethical standards. Company vehicle, phone, and uniforms.

Cons

Upper management is always looking for ways to drive sales. They push the field service reps for higher numbers at all levels. They like quantifiable stats so reps are always filling out quota reports and are pushed for more and more info. I was a good service person but only fair at sales. When our division went to commission just as the economy slowed in 2009 my pay dropped significantly but my work load increased even more. If you are type A that loves to sell, good for you but you have to fix complex problems and deal with frantic customers who are hours away and demanding instant service late on a Saturday night. You cover a large territory and when you're our someone has to drive for hours to take your calls and visa-versa. You get time off but have to work like heck before and after to keep up. It's part of the job but it can be tough after a while.

I know many people who are good at service but feel super stressed with the sales focus. I also know some who enjoy the sales but can't deal with the difficult service calls. Good troubleshooters and mechanics rarely make good sales people. It stresses them out and makes the quality of life not so good. I liked talking with customers about solutions I believed in but I hated being forced to do it to hit some quota and make some middle managers look good upstairs.