Ecolab Reviews

475 reviews filtered by

1. Freelance

Former Contractor - Contract in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Contractor - Contract in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They are busy and present a professional and organized appearance as a corporation.

Cons

Do not freelance for this company. They do not pay their contract employees until after 90-120 days, and then you have to badger them.

At the end of the day it's a white male company

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few sprinkling of good talent at the leadership. That too, since I've left has diminished. Good product, solid financial results.

Cons

Unless you're a white male with an MBA, forget about ever being successful here. If you hunt and are "Minnesotan" then thats leadership material right there.... if not, don't bother. The whole culture and inclusion was just a big drama led by the CFO who's no longer there anyway.... crappy pay, stupid braincell killing monthly analysis paralysis work. ...

Be real and do the right thing.

Work and Stress is not worth the pay.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice having a company car to use for work and personal use. Bad thing is your carrying so much equipment you really never use it for personal use. Healthy benefits are ok and retirement is good if you can stick around long enough. If you can get a territory in a metro area you are golden avoid rural territory's.

Cons

Good Luck taking time off in the field. Pay is low regarding your on call 24 hours a day and taking care of rental machines that you don't make any money off of. Using your money to travel and take care of you customers and rental machines. Storing all equipment in your personal garage and not being able to park 2 cars inside.

Time to think about the future and stop running the field like they did 30 years ago.

Great work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

growth, work / life balance, great people

Cons

Long Hours, cheap company outings, no personal time off just vacation

Could use improvement

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Great co-workers, many who are extremely knowledgeable as to who to go to when you can not get answers from your supervisor.

Cons

No clear direction as to who you report to, pulled in many different directions, work/life balance was next to nothing.

7. Upper management has no idea what is going on, work life balance is a joke.

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Networking with sales field while working in the corporate office

Cons

Old boys club, my boss didn't even have a college degree and was threatened by outside the box thinking.

Horrific

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was sometimes interesting, the international travel was interesting.

Cons

I had a horrible experience; I worked very hard and did good work, which was not only not rewarded but seemed threatening to my male bosses. I am also a mom of a young child, for which I felt I was held back. I was willing to work long hours and travel but when I attempted to draw some boundaries I was punished and ridiculed. Really take a look at how many women there are in finance at a director level or above. And how many of them have children? There are very few, and the smartest and most talented leave. You really do have to be a young, good-looking white male with MBA to suceed here. If you are politicallly conservative and you hunt, fish or golf you will probably do well.

I had four different bosses in the four years I worked at Ecolab. Three of them were bullies and had no sense of what it meant to be an ethical person. The one who wasn`t a jerk left.

I witnessed a lot of bullying and unfair treatment during my four years there, much of it directed against women over 35 and men who were originally not from the US. I cannot understand why this is not only tolerated but is an accepted part of the culture.
    The bonus system is absurd, as the amount an individual receives is in great part determined by the direct managers. A reward system should be fairly applied, not whimsical.

You'll work hard and learn so much about business

Current Employee - Business Development/Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Development/Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Earning potential; I started at $40k with no degree, earned an MBA and left the company on good terms after 4.5 years making $100k. Company car and expense account was nice but be careful with it. You'll work hard and long hours but it can be rewarding

Cons

Bottom line: it's all about money. People are a side-effect to making money and if Ecolab could figure out how to do it without people they would! It wasn't so bad under the old CEO because unlike Baker the previous CEO started as a Territory Manager and worked his way up to CEO. Baker is a good CEO (I'm still a shareholder) and has done what CEO's do: grow the company. The challenge was that the best salesmen got promoted to management not the best qualified people. Management would frequently belittle employees and it seemed like some managers enjoyed watching people hang themselves.

Being on call 24/7/365 isn't realistic and the work-life balance for Route Managers and Territory Managers is non-existent. Don't make plans in the evening "after work" because they'll ALWAYS fall through. The job of TM and RM are service heavy but the company really doesn't care about the service as long as you're selling. If you're moved into a position and told "it's not a sales position" it's a bald faced lie. Every job outside of Eagan (and many there too) are sales jobs.

Stop promoting the best sales people--they typically make bad leaders.

10. Grow your business/income

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you put on new business your income grows

Cons

Can have late night service requests, family health plan costs seem high

Listen to the field

Good job with plenty of freedom and room for advancement

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good base salary and if you hustle you can add another 20k or so to your annual income. Working from home is nice to.

Cons

They hire salesmen and do not tell the new hires about all the mechanical diagnosing and repairs that are involved. Hiring managers tell you that it is 85% sales 15% mechanical. That is a lie they use to get you in the door. Its more like 50% sales and 50% mechanical repairs and service, but once you learn the repair side it is worth it.

Stay in touch with your feet on the street....aka your bottom of the totem pole employees.