Ecolab

Ecolab Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.

Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 33 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Your life as a Route Sales Representative/Manager

Route Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompany Van E-150 or similar (No passengers unless employees), Gas card (monitored with mileage), Company Card (Only install/equipment charges monitored through concur), Tools, Equipment (when not over budget for the month), Create your own hours (based on customer needs), Free training (3 weeks upon starting in St Paul), Company paid cellphone, Emroidered Uniforms (Men have better uniforms, Ladies - good luck if you're plus size or tall) Good "Salary", Training fun, Customers once you build rapport as great, When team works together it's easy and you learn a lot more, Good Upper Management in district

Cons(This is rare about 2 times month)- if You get a call at 9:30 at night 2 hours away and the customer demands you come, guess what - You're going. On call 24hrs a day, weekend shift depends on how many people in your district. You'll work Mon-Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon-Fri then your day off. (12 days straight, may be busy or not) on normal it's Mon 6am -Fri 5pm. Service calls are: Leaking chemical dispensers, Changing Dishmachine motors, Fixing machine leaks, rewiring contactors/transformers, a lot of plumbing (mostly compression) and electrical, Tech support only open business hours 8-5, 8-4 sat, if they're having a bad day they're least likely to walk you through something. DSDM sold a new account, you need to scramble to get equipment and help ASAP. Your compensation depends on your selling/interaction skills, You sign on @42k a year but it's only 7k the rest is your commission. If someone gets hurt or quits, you take care of their territory (Paid for top 20 accounts of theirs only), monthly roll outs you have to accomplish, 300+ accounts to visit whenever and 75+ you have to visit monthly. You are also responsible for collecting debts and removing machines when the customer doesn't pay. You must have someone cover for you if you're sick or on vacation, once you're out of work - don't bother making plans if you're on call. Best suited for Single people with No kids in a very active (Some areas are different based on Metro/Country - Ask the person you ride along with during the interview process) upper management needs to manage people a little better and not let things slide.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate the Sales and Service again - You're killing your best employees to cut your own costs. Promote from within not external because employees are not in their "right" position. Get Tech support open the same hours your managers work, it's hard enough to deal with a down machine and a customer yelling at you while you have to figure it out on your own because none of the other reps answer their phones. Just a suggestion..

Ecolab review

Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood company with moderate growth

ConsCompany is in the process of consolidating merged companies

A place to work ...

Shared Services (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsNice Eagan facility, great grounds & beautiful campus. Appears to be a place for great opportunity. Company store, Credit Union, Cafeteria, appears to be a great place.

ConsToo many departments in transition - very hard for a newbie to fit in and thrive. Lack of communication about basic things, lack of communication about inter-department things, Lack of communication period. While the company is all about an inclusive 'culture' there is much that is lacking within individual departments. Appears to be lots of openings but so many jobs seem to be already 'filled' when they are posted.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate..

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Route Manager

Route Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou can make good money if you can SELL! If you learn to balance your work load, maintain your accounts, stay organized, and not let the the service calls stress you out you will do very well. You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards.

ConsStraight salary position and in many weeks you will work well over 40 hrs. You will be on call 24 hrs a day 5 days a week with weekend rotation every 4 to 6 weeks depending on how many route managers in the rotation. You will have trouble making plans due to constantly worrying about getting a service call at night. On weekend rotation you will be responsible for all of the accounts in your district. Upwards of 500 accounts or more. On top of your field work you will be working at home placing orders, doing random reports, E training and answering email. You will also be under tremendous pressure to make a monthly and annual sales target!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf this was an hourly plus commission job you would maintain quality route managers and decrease the cost of constantly training new employees. Also be more honest during interview process.

High Potentials Need Only Apply

Marketing Administrator (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsNot sure what the pros are any more, aside from selling a good product

ConsHigh Demand, high stress environment that is not conducive to collaboration, work life balance or any balance at all. Only the few who are considered high potentials seems to thrive. Everyone else is considered and treated as a non-entity and not promotable or necessarily worthy of much of a merit increase. The constant buzz words for the last three years has always been about Culture & Inclusion, but that is just something to make the management feel good about themselves. They honestly don't care and will sacrifice you if you have thoughts or ideas that differ from their own.

Increased work, decreased pay

Service Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCompany truck with gas card.

ConsI have worked for Ecolab for over 6 years.In the past couple years I have seen: Bonus's taken away, work loads increase by 50+% and pay decreased, long time employee's fired, forced out of positions, demoted and pasted over for promotion with promotions given to people outside the company. My yearly pay raise does not even keep up with the cost of living (averages $8.00 a week / which is Ecolab's standard pay raise for service specialists).In the several years I have worked for Ecolab I have helped get new business, retained business, trained new hires ect.... and there is ZERO reward for your hard work. The sad fact is, we are not employee's we are numbers on paper which no matter how hard you work, they always want more.Ecolab use to be a proud service first / value there employee's company, now it is production over people, numbers only matter company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employee's.Stop demoting them, hiring managers from outside the company and if you increase there work load maybe you could increase there pay.

Just anther BIG corp. Where profit is more important than it employees.

Service Specialist (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsA pay check. Which after working all the hrs is the same as working for someone for 8.50 per hr.

ConsOn call 24 hr per day new management doesn't care about you. Experience means nothing. Vacation no such thing you have to run your route of 115 accounts in 3 weeks to be able to take 1 week off. So you cheat your customer and yourself or you work nonstop for 3 week. Oh yes Ecolab will help you with the pesky family thing most tech have lost there family.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour management is a joke after 7 yr. to pest my loyalty to this is till I fine something else

Over worked and under paid

Route Sales Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFree gas, make your own hours, and sales expierience

ConsSpend more time "turning wrenches" and not doing sales. Many outside factors that affect your pay and you cant control it. That just scratches the surface...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bending over your front line ( TMs and RSMs)

Changing culture

Territory Representative (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompany car, work from home. Some autonomy to do as you would like.

ConsLow pay, bad leadership, more maintenance than sales. Issues with Department of Labor. Not being paid for all of your time.

Growing company with opportunities if you are patient

ProsVery financially secure organization that has descent benefits with opportunities if you are willing to "bide your time"

ConsNo work/life balance and if you have tenure and great skillset sometimes you are seen as too valuable to move along

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in systems

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!