Ecolab

Ecolab Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 39 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible Company QSR

Current Employee - Territory Representative in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits: Car, free gas, and stock options.

Cons

Terrible salary, terrible training, and terrible managers.

Pest Elimination Division Service Specialist for 6 years.

Current Employee - Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of.

Cons

Management is slow to respond to employee's needs, and disorganized. No real vacation time, no real Holiday off, no real day off because you're on 24/7 call. Too much work with little support from management. When someone leaves everyone is burdened with taking up the slack. People are tired all the time a risk for accidents to happen . No real family time, the company has cut out the family from any company activities. No pay for working overtime , most of the time extra customer calls we do for free because it falls within our guarantee.

Why management treats their workers poorly since it is the workers that really bring in the cash, not the managers is beyond me.

If you don't want a life work here

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great team in my area that provided assistance as much as possible for each other.

Cons

24/7/365!!!!!!!!!!! I have not been with the company for over two months and still receive calls on my personal cell phone at all hours of the night asking for me to come out and fix something. This job would b e great if it was either a sales or service position. It is very difficult to do both and have any type of home life. I traveled over 800 miles per week and while they provided a company gas guzzler that I needed to have to transport the 1000's of items that i might need to fix who knows what - they provided me 325.00 per month to cover my gas and cell bill. Even with the help of a great team it was still nearly impossible to do this job without working at least 65 to 70 hours per week and that does not include the weekends when you are on call covering vast areas.

Bring back service managers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Treat your people with respect and reachable goals that do not go through the roof each year!!!!!!! Small realistic adjustment per year would be good. You are squeezing the life out your people and they are leaving quickly!!!!!!!! Get back to reality and maybe spend a month out in the field again to get a clue that cross roads did not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall good

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The fact that they pay for everything: from providing a vehicle, corporate credit card, gas card, cell phone bill, mobile hot spot, tools, training, clothing, shoes, and excellent meals when traveling.

Cons

Work-life balance can be very difficult at times because of being on-call 24hrs M-F and some weekends. Upsetting a customer will get to upper management very quickly.

Being on-call 24hrs M-F sucks!!

Culture of Fear

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free company vehicle (logo'd) and tools provided to you. Make your own schedule but often told you are not doing enough. Can make extra money when you cover routes that people left (because they quit).

Cons

Benefits have declined. All benefit coverages have increased in cost per month and decreased total coverage. Overwork people on the weekends and nights. A lot of issues with people being disengaged and just trying to get by. In our area, many people have been on performance plans and threatened to get fired. Many times they can't fire anyone because there are already open areas from those who just quit. People live in fear of getting fired but then when everyone is threatened with it, they understand the threat is not real.

Find a way to engage people and have a resource for employees to go to that have been bullied by managers. Also, a fair way for promotions without choosing people who they like. Promotions should be performance based. Multiple people should get the opportunity to interview instead of someone just being "picked".

Leadership needs to get back to reality. We are losing the culture that made us who we are.

Current Employee - Territory Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has been a fair company to work for, and for the most part has treated the associates fair. Decent pay and benefit package. Numerous advancement opportunities to advance, if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Over the years, the company has been "squeezing" our associates to deliver more with less resources. This has caught up with many of our divisions. We promise the customers this great support program, but in reality we deliver this only to 10% of our customers. The other 90% get less support and service because of the unrealistic goals that we have reach. In order to reach these goals we must decide what corners to cut, in order to save time. It is not fair to our customers to get promised a superior program, but get a sub par program delivered.

Please listen to your associates as we know what we are talking about. We are the feet on the street, and the face of Ecolab to our customers. If we invest in more field people, we will have the time and skills to deliver the results. If you keep squeezing us, we are forced to cheat the customer. It is not right.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, great flex-benefits, good pay, caring managers.

Cons

No direction from a corporate it perspective. Senior/executive management does not care if people leave as long as you make plan.

Get and IT direction and move forward with it. You are a multi-billion dollar company with multiple ERP systems pick one and consolidate. You would be surprised how much your sales and company improve from everyone pulling in the same direction

Good company for Fortune 500 to work for and grow with.

Current Employee - SDM in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SDM in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company gives ownership over position. You determine success or failure.

Cons

Big company so things move slow sometimes in regards to advancements and corporate support.

Discuss promotion and advancements with your teams.

Good

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Because Ecolab is a great company

Cons

This company are increase very fast

The business of oil is a good opportunity to grow professionally

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Ability to set own hours, boss is 500 miles away

Cons

Divisional Management for Textile Care are some of the most unethical/unprofessional people I have met in 30 years of business

None