Ecolab Reviews

Updated March 8, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
  • Saint Paul, MN
3.6
Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Good Company, Growing Pains

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The stock price can't be complained about these days too much. But - that pro has come at the expense of things that put the company in the position to grow.

Cons

The culture has certainly changed - be that good or bad... It's growing up, and, that creates a lot of power struggle and changing corporate policies/procedures.

Remember the place where you came from, and, how that had built a strong start to where you are today. Continue to invest in research for new products that not only do cool things but also treat the environment well.

2. excellent employer, stable job, great co-workers

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well reputed in the industry, opportunities to advance

Cons

Struggling for space in older building

Tremendous room for opportunities but not without growing pains.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a high performing company. Ecolab is a good steward when it comes to finances. Shareholders are in good hands. Company core values and mission behind cleaning, energy, water resources makes you feel good about what you do everyday in making a difference for your customers.

Cons

Very conservative mindset. Leadership unable to practice what they preach and support innovative approach for growth. Innovations stifled by long winded bureaucracy. Compensation is ok, not the best in my industry, but balanced by work life balance. I can work from home as long as work gets done on time.

Start walking the talk and do what you preach. Spend time with your direct reports and fully understand what they need. Remove obstacles for them to succeed.
    Understand the nuances and details for each project. Don't just assign and leave.

Great benefits, fantastic stocks, a company of hyper workaholics and sales drivers.

Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, opportunities to move up, most people in upper management started out in the field. Solid company with high ethical standards. Company vehicle, phone, and uniforms.

Cons

Upper management is always looking for ways to drive sales. They push the field service reps for higher numbers at all levels. They like quantifiable stats so reps are always filling out quota reports and are pushed for more and more info. I was a good service person but only fair at sales. When our division went to commission just as the economy slowed in 2009 my pay dropped significantly but my work load increased even more. If you are type A that loves to sell, good for you but you have to fix complex problems and deal with frantic customers who are hours away and demanding instant service late on a Saturday night. You cover a large territory and when you're our someone has to drive for hours to take your calls and visa-versa. You get time off but have to work like heck before and after to keep up. It's part of the job but it can be tough after a while.

I know many people who are good at service but feel super stressed with the sales focus. I also know some who enjoy the sales but can't deal with the difficult service calls. Good troubleshooters and mechanics rarely make good sales people. It stresses them out and makes the quality of life not so good. I liked talking with customers about solutions I believed in but I hated being forced to do it to hit some quota and make some middle managers look good upstairs.

6. Great but be willing to play the game

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of work, rapidly growing company. The are expanding all over the world. Alot of employees have worked there for many years.

Cons

Difficult to get ahead as a woman. If you want to succeed you must be willing to play the game and not necessarily agree with the senior leadership.

Really consider who you are hiring for senior leadershp. What is their motivation? How do they treat their employees? Vendors? Consultants?

7. Stable, Growing Company with Positive Values and a lot of Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability; promising industry; professional growth opportunities; busy; fast-paced; positive impact on the world - feel like you're playing a part to help to make the world cleaner, safer, healthier; great people to learn from and work with; customer focused; opportunity to have impact in your work

Cons

Limited budget-fiscally conservative (however, the reason for stability and longevity); lack of work/life balance - for the most part, people operate to max capacity

8. Freelance

Former Contractor - Contract in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Contractor - Contract in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They are busy and present a professional and organized appearance as a corporation.

Cons

Do not freelance for this company. They do not pay their contract employees until after 90-120 days, and then you have to badger them.

At the end of the day it's a white male company

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few sprinkling of good talent at the leadership. That too, since I've left has diminished. Good product, solid financial results.

Cons

Unless you're a white male with an MBA, forget about ever being successful here. If you hunt and are "Minnesotan" then thats leadership material right there.... if not, don't bother. The whole culture and inclusion was just a big drama led by the CFO who's no longer there anyway.... crappy pay, stupid braincell killing monthly analysis paralysis work. ...

Be real and do the right thing.

Great work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

growth, work / life balance, great people

Cons

Long Hours, cheap company outings, no personal time off just vacation

Horrific

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was sometimes interesting, the international travel was interesting.

Cons

I had a horrible experience; I worked very hard and did good work, which was not only not rewarded but seemed threatening to my male bosses. I am also a mom of a young child, for which I felt I was held back. I was willing to work long hours and travel but when I attempted to draw some boundaries I was punished and ridiculed. Really take a look at how many women there are in finance at a director level or above. And how many of them have children? There are very few, and the smartest and most talented leave. You really do have to be a young, good-looking white male with MBA to suceed here. If you are politicallly conservative and you hunt, fish or golf you will probably do well.

I had four different bosses in the four years I worked at Ecolab. Three of them were bullies and had no sense of what it meant to be an ethical person. The one who wasn`t a jerk left.

I witnessed a lot of bullying and unfair treatment during my four years there, much of it directed against women over 35 and men who were originally not from the US. I cannot understand why this is not only tolerated but is an accepted part of the culture.
    The bonus system is absurd, as the amount an individual receives is in great part determined by the direct managers. A reward system should be fairly applied, not whimsical.