Economist Group

Chris Stibbs

Good people

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Economist Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are good people and the culture is good depending on the group.

ConsCompany is in a difficult industry.

A very prestigious company to work for, with very intelligent staff.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Economist Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe prestige of working for such a highly regarded company, good benefits

ConsLow salaries and commission schemes

The Economist is a company full of very smart people, yet outdated thinking.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Economist Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCaliber of employee
Tremendous editorial content
Prestige brand
Loyal subscriber base

ConsAntiquated processes and outdated technologies
Old boys club management
Pay below market value
Stuffy culture - it's practically like some people want to project the image of working at a bank
No vision for next generation content offerings

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in new technology and hire people who know how to implement.

Nice people, great valuable brand, fiefdoms stifle collaboration, lots of exec mgmt upheaval, a bit stuck in old ways.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Economist Group for more than 5 years

ProsThere are many smart, decent people and a few brilliant ones, the brand is prestigious, it's genuinely valuable and highly regarded by many readers. Even though it's a London culture, it's a very global staff -- colleagues from all over the world with very interesting life experiences. There is a unique and interesting history to the organization.

ConsInternal fiefdoms stifle collaboration. NY and London teams are supposed to work together constantly, however London carries more weight, although this fact is sometimes denied overtly. Staff overhead is cut to the bone so people are usually just heads down to get the work done. Points 1 through 3 stifle collaboration across the board and make career dev in NY more difficult. There have been 3 CEOs and 5 heads of the digital business in 5 years. These changes happen with increasing frequency and each brings re-orgs and shifting priorities and loyalties that take everyone awhile to adjust to, highly distracting. The business is feeling the pain that's permeating the publishing industry. Innovation is not a priority, and is poorly supported. And innovation that is powered by customer insight is nil because a kind of arrogant hubris there seems to make the business believe it doesn't have much to gain from learning about the readers. Career opportunities vary according to your location and function. Rashbass is no longer the CEO -- it's now Chris Dibbs.

Advice to Senior Management1) Open up collaboration over content between the analysis of the core magazine and EIU research data, which is an amazing and highly underutilized asset. 2) Move all development, design and UX to London where the real decisions are now getting made -- having such a small team spread so thinly is irrelevant for US marketing and hurts collaboration. 3) Enter the modern age of product and service design, where customers really do matter to the future well being of the business, and starting taking more chances on existing innovation ideas that make sense, stop sitting on them.

Beijing office small but friendly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Economist Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsIntellectually curious colleagues who are all friendly and all speak Chinese and English fluently. Office as a whole focused on the Chinese economy and little else.

ConsVery small office of around 10-15 people-- not much room to maneuver into a promotion.

Downward Trend

I have been working at Economist Group full-time

ProsThey are the best now within the Business Publishing Industry. They are much healthier than other publications such as businessweek.

ConsBut this Industry is getting weaker. Print publications and print advertising is getting very weak.

Smart people, great brand, could do more to inspire employees and build a collaborative culture

I have been working at Economist Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros--Smart, interesting people
--An amazing brand that readers love
--Great opportunities to extend the brand

Cons--Too many silos and fiefdoms; need to develop a more collaborative culture
--Needs more innovation
--Top down management style; management doesn't often listen to the topic experts

Advice to Senior Management--Listen to your employees
--Break down the fiefdoms, get people working collaboratively instead of at cross-purposes
--Innovate more; more expanding the brand

Lack of vision for business growth and individual development

I have been working at Economist Group full-time

ProsDecent benefits, decent hours, decent vacation

ConsVery little professional growth potential, constant cost-cutting and focus on the bottom line limits strategic vision and creativity within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out where your employees want to go professionally and challenge them -- they will do better work for you.

Great Co-worker, really bad managers

Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Economist Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-worker really nice people fun to work with
Great brand to have on the resume
You get a free magazine

ConsThe managers are bad they push too much work and expect you work unreasonable hours
High turnover 90% in finance again b/c managers dont listen to employee concern
Unless you a certain profile and lived in UK very hard to move up

Intellectually stimulating work. Otherwise a throwback.

Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Economist Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you're in editorial, even if you're at one of the research businesses (EIU) rather than the magazine, you'll have some pretty interesting projects. There are a lot of smart people. If you can come up with a way to make money without disturbing the brand guardians (good luck with that), you'll have a bright future, assuming you can penetrate the complacency.

ConsLots of warring factions. If you get caught between commercial and editorial, each of which has its own agenda, you can be crucified. London runs things and all issues are resolved to London's advantage. Huge attitude of complacency despite the fact that the print business is disappearing. Digital is improving, but still backwards (though the iPad app is nice).

Advice to Senior Management1. Every employee does something well. Find out what that is and let them run with it. Don't try to fit everyone into the same mold.

2. Stop putting print ad salespeople in charge of selling research and editorial products. Selling ad space doesn't make you good at selling anything other than ad space.

3. There's a legacy EIU employee - a country or regional specialist with a background in economics. They're dinosaurs. Don't put them in charge of anything. You need great writers with strong analytical skills, industry and functional knowledge, and agency (read: digital) know-how.

Worked for Economist Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Economist Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Economist Group CEO Chris Stibbs. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Economist Group employees.