Economist Intelligence Unit

Be The First To
Add Photos

Economist Intelligence Unit Chief Economist and Editorial Director Robin Bew

Robin Bew

Great job, difficult management to navigate

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork - life balance
    Smart people
    Interesting topics
    Being part of the Economist Group
    Allows to make a career

ConsManagement (not senior management) is absent
    Compensation can be much better
    Benefits are not great

A great opportunity if you can handle the mismanagement.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe data, the reputation and the clients are all top quality

ConsThe active management of the organization is scattered, decentralized, and quite unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to figure out how to organize themselves and the immense opportunities.

Slow paced environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery relaxed work environment, Amazing (former) CTO vision and direction for the group.

Consslow paced everyday work, slow paced technology growth. Subscription based revenue models are hit or miss yearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease understand that customer and client retention is only due to the values and opinions of editors and analysts.
    Do not expect a staggering increase in customer base or subscriptions when the company is deploying features and changes that are already present with rivals ( ex. event articles etc.)
    Expect an increase when you offer something new and innovative that rivals do not.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for experience, not for growth

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent benefits.
    Bonus scheme sometimes makes up for below market salaries.
    Respected brand.
    Interesting products and smart analysts.
    Nice offices.

ConsI really loved working here until things started to change and at first I thought the changes would help make us better, but I saw that it just enriched the top managers instead without increases to sales or salaries.

Management is very top heavy. All the bonuses and training go to the top people.
    Negotiate up front for your salary as you can't expect increases outside of promotions.
    The culture is very cutthroat now with political connections up the chain your only way to advancement regardless of what you deliver.
    They hamstring Sales, making it hard to deliver on targets, then blame salespeople.
    Customers have shifted to a new place and EIU still doesn't get that.
    Senior managers tend to fail up.
    Senior managers are not your friends, never forget that.
    Products are outdated and competition from better funded companies is destroying sales, even if they won't admit it.
    The entire business model is dependent on The Economist's brand at this point. It's just not enough anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart speaking to people who aren't buying your product. Stop spending cash on business class and put some into salaries to motivate the people who do the work. Invest in the products and delivery system to skate to where the market is/will be.

It is good for a short period of time.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe work that you do is very interesting. You get to work on a wide variety of issues. They pay very well for contract work.

ConsThe management is disorganized and because of this you repeat a lot of work. They give a lot of contract work so you could have a lot of work one week and no work the next week.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall the experience was great. I would improve the initial communication and make sure that you know what you want out of the project and how you wont id done before instructions are given to the lower level workers.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally smart, nice people
    Very high quality standards
    Decent management team

ConsSometimes very old fashioned in the way they manage
    Product set could use some updating
    Salary and incentive program are a bit under market
    Managers need better training on how to manage staff

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff a clear idea about strategy and career path
    Update the product offering
    More competitive salaries would be nice

Not reactive to market changes and need

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had a good mentor

ConsTeam are not connected and unwilling to help to build sales. Inflexible in many ways; old fashion and think that they are too premium. Not market competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be less micro manage and listen to staff.

Surviving

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong brand backing from The Economist and good client penetration/ retention on data services etc. Potential is there in other product areas such as events, content creation, research etc.

ConsAlways the afterthought of The Economist Group. Woeful underinvestment, little strategy beyond cost cutting, and unable to identify and create a management team which actually functions. Always chasing a short term revenue target. Wheels always reinvented in London, with no local empowerment. Poor incentives and rewards for management to manage and staff to produce/ sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some proper management. Spend time on incentives and rewards, and encourage managers who build businesses not their own empires.

Great place to consult

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI worked as a consultant for the EIU in 2010. It was a great project, clear deliverables and interest subject matter. I would recommend for anyone to consult there.

ConsBecause of the name that the EIU holds in the market research industry, pay (at the time) was lower than the industry standard for consulting work.

Nice people, interesting work

Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLots of nice people. Very friendly. The editorial content is interesting. I get a lot of freedom to form my own analysis. Hours are OK. Some opportunity to travel internationally. people seem to be able to move to other roles in the business.

Consi work on the same countrys all the time so can get a bit repetitive. The publishing schedule is achievable but relentless.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse you analysts more to interact with clients, and with Custom Research

Worked for Economist Intelligence Unit? Contribute to the Community!