Ecova

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Jeff Heggedahl

Pretty good company once your are out of the 90 days stage.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Ecova full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big building, friendly people, lots of work to keep you busy, good benefits, great company values, a lot of support to employees from management.

Cons

Software is terrible to deal with, uncomfortable desks and chairs, don't get a welcoming feeling for the first 90 days when you are considered a "temp for hire".

Need to take physical pain more seriously when given doctor recommendations.

Innovative, supportive, great place to work.

I have been working at Ecova full-time

Pros

Can work remotely, supportive IT department

Cons

Leadership is non existent, sales team leads are distracted

Doesnt pay to do the right thing; whistle blowing not allowed no matter how much you think your helping the company; was fun while it lasted

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Richards, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Richards, TX

I worked at Ecova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back was treated as adults as far as no one over your shoulder monitoring your work nor telling you to put your phone away. Easy to get and keep job. Job duties simple. If you become an analyst they make good money. Billing Specialist make alright money also if much hasnt changed in these past few months. Fun atmosphere and for the most part the people where enjoyable to work around. Not sure how it is now since the layoff though. Will help pay for college. I suggest anyone take advantage of this being that theirs little room for advancement. You get a floating holiday and one day out of the year to volunteer in place of coming to work; only permanent employes.

Cons

Everything was perfect here until they hired a manager who was highly unqualified for his job more so than the others.
    My sup in particular worked there barely a year and throughout that place his reputation was "Most Hated" words from his own mouth; EVERYONE complained about him. He hired his under qualified friends who falsified their hours and work load. After numerous team members followed the chain of command and complained nothing happened until months later when the company let go of him and all those that snitched and eventually all of his friends that he hired. I honestly felt that i was helping the company by reporting what i seen of my manager because he not only was allowing his friends to get away w/murder but our daily, weekly, and monthly reports where decreasing horribly and he was putting the company at risk for failure.
    This isnt a place you will retire at unless you are in a higher position then a Sup. No room for advancement. Has had layoffs every year for the past 4yrs.

Since the problem is no longer there, the other 3 supervisors that i worked under did an outstanding job.

Project Coordinator

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Ecova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ecova cares about giving back to the community. It is a laid back atmosphere and they are always offering training to better your skills.

Cons

They hardly give you a bonus because it is based on how the company does overall not your individual project. The jobs are often unstable because they have a lot of projects within the company if one project is cut then you're out.

reward good work for the little people.

Great company, still much progress to make

I have been working at Ecova full-time

Pros

The office culture is great. Dress code is relax, the people are smart and kind. Office culture will depend on which office you are in. Work life balance is fine. We have a community service day which is amazing to be able to give time to the community on the company's dime.

Cons

Because the company grew through acquisitions, they should have an on boarding team to help with transition. The offices are scattered across the nation. Working to have a cohesive telecommuting plan would be great. Some teams do it better than others.

A place to work

Current Employee - Finance in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Finance in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Ecova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

a company with good benefits, and many people seem to be very well compensated. the company has good goals and is in an industry you can be proud to work in.

Cons

several, but what company doesnt have cons? growth has been hard to find at this company for several years - growing by acquisition doesnt really count.

make some decisions and go with it.

One star is a generous rating based on what I witnessed at this company

Former Employee - Director in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Spokane, WA

I worked at Ecova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Short commute, benefits, growing industry.

Cons

If I was the CEO, I would be mortified at how the senior and mid-level managers behave. Nepotism, favoritism, bullying and flat out unprofessionalism. Frankly I was in shock by some of the conversations I have been exposed to with this company. In my 15 years experience working in fast pace, high pressure corporate world, I've never seen anything like it. Most of the staff are in their own world of misery, doing what they can with minimal tools, just hoping they can do enough to not get fired. At first I thought it was just me, until I left the company and read some of these online reviews. Clearly it is the culture of Ecova and the upper management is disengaged- allowing this mistreatment to occur on a daily basis. I know this is harsh, but as someone who expects a certain level of professionalism, the mid-level managers that I encountered should be fired. They condone gossiping and bullying- and I'm sorry but, who on earth thinks it's acceptable to go get trashed at a bar with your direct reports on a regular basis? Honestly! I'm just glad I got out when I did. I'm sure they're operating as usual, and with me gone I'm one less scapegoat but yet another person to place the blame on due to the daily incompetence taking place

I figured I'd pay it forward to the next person who may be considering a job with this company. So here's the deal, scapegoat, spying, backstabbing, passing the blame and emotional abuse from clients are daily responsibilities but not listed in the job description- so they must fall under 'other duties as assigned', right? If that sounds great to you, go for it. Otherwise, stay far far away. If we're lucky, this new French company will clean house and do this city a favor. Ah well, c'est la vie!

Good place

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ecova as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I've really enjoyed my time at Ecova. Great easy going people (at least in my dept) and lots of opportunity within the company. This is my first career type job and there's been plenty of people willing to give me advice and help me learn.

Cons

Portland office is old but we're moving to a new one. I'm a little worried it'll change the atmosphere and culture a bit but who knows. Otherwise, not too many complaints.

Good people, company struggling a bit to find its identity

I have been working at Ecova full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good people at Ecova. Offices spread across the country and work from home options offer flexibility. The energy management space offers lots of opportunity.

Cons

Following acquisitions company has struggled a bit with finding its identity. Lack a strong product strategy. Unclear what impact recent acquisition by GDF Suez will have.

Poor Product & Product Knowledge

I have been working at Ecova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The employees are nice.
    - The Nagarro contractors in the Portland office are some of the best employees for the company.

Cons

- I've never seen a company with so much change. In terms of change, 1 month at Ecova is equivalent to 6 months at a large organization.
    - Some Project Managers here are a joke, horrible project and people skills.
    - Business Analysts are non-existent. This creates a huge gap with projects.
    - Utility platform system is not a long-term solution. Ecova has a really hard time creating long-term solutions.
    - Director of Product Management killed this company on the Utility side by choosing an off-the-shelf product (3rd party app) that no one has heard of, even though they've been around for almost a decade. First time I've ever seen this. Ecova is already pushing the limits of this app after only using it for a year. Ecova failed to follow the approach of successful companies of building their CRM solution internally. It's sad that Ecova's business relies on an off-the-shelf product within their CRM system. If Ecova is somehow successful, any competitor could purchase the same product. Not smart to say the least.