Ecova

Add Photos

Jeff Heggedahl

Be ready for change

Program Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe work is dynamic and many of the people are mission driven. You will work with smart people. There is some smart product development utilizing experience across acquired companies.

ConsLots of upheaval in management. Re-organization makes it difficult to know the direction the company is going to go at any given time.

Terrible company - good luck Cofely you just bought yourself a lemon

Anonymous (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsThe front line staff are great, hard working people. Some are truly dedicated to what they do.

ConsWhere to even begin? Incompetent management, extremely high turnover, dealing with angry clients daily over poor service from Ecova - no thank you. Worst job ever - you can make just as much money and have significantly less stress pretty much anywhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new owners should clean house, implement real policies and procedures, and actually pay the front line staff a reasonable wage for what they are asked to do

Great place to start my career

ProsI really enjoy my work. Ecova is constantly redefining how we do business, and that leaves a lot of room for creative thinking and thought leadership. As a start-up company that was started by a small group with some big ideas, there is a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation that allows everyone to have a venue to contribute. There are some amazing people working for this company who really contribute to the success and growth of their peers.

ConsTeams and leadership are fragmented and unorganized. The true spirit of environmental consulting is often compromised by profit margins and resource availability. You will not get rich working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from past mistakes, put the right leaders with the right experience in the right places; i.e., new business growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My team was the Dream Team

ProsI was able to be apart of a team that was very flexible, understanding, and cooperative.

ConsThe pressure of any job, deadlines, management changes, expectation confusion, etc.

Opportunity for growth, so much to learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEcova was built from many acquisitions, so although it is large, it still has the small business feel. The training they have in place for their employees is amazing.

ConsEcova has been acquiring companies since 2010. This makes for an unstable feel as an employee. You constantly are looking over your shoulder nervous about department cuts.

Disappointing & Depressing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA few of the people I worked with were smart, hard-working and dedicated.

ConsEcova acquired too many companies too quickly and instead of hiring someone to assist with the integration, they simply asked those already over worked to also handle the integration. This has created an unstable company that is losing customers at an alarming rate. Those in positions of management have very little to no idea of how to actually lead people. Their main priority seems to be focused on holding people down and providing as little incentive to stay as possible. Those who work hard each day are given no more respect than those who show up late, take long lunches, leave early, communicate poorly, leave without finishing work, anger or outrage customers, and call in "sick" on a regular basis. This is a significant morale killer and should be addressed by management; however they are often too busy focusing on what position to which they will be promoted to next.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your leaders to effective. Managers who are there to only make friends or bar buddies are not effective. Open your eyes before it is too late. If you are making third quarter cuts to make your numbers for the year, perhaps you need to evaluate your yearly game plan.

Could be better

ProsThe strength of this company is definitely its people. Lots of great smart and hard working people that go the extra mile to keep things running.

ConsOffices all over the country creates confusion. Often times the different offices seem to still operate like different companies. Bonuses are non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some meaningful steps to improve morale.

A company of current and future needs in the energy management field- fast paced & always moving forward.

Utility Invoice Analyst (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsChallenging yet clear goals for most teams. The managers I've had are very personeable, provide support & personal challenges that are attainable. WIlling to accomodate desk and organizational needs.

ConsThe fact that the company is consistantly changing poses challenge, and not everyone likes that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers I've interacted with are realistic in their job role support, however also very excited & helpful in giving support in moving forward through the company.

Fast Paced Company That Seems to be Moving in the Right Direction.

ProsOpportunity to impact the company, fast paced, 2013 benefits.

ConsCommunication across departments, unrealistic expectations, lots of new employees that are choosing what they want to do and not what they should be doing since the job positions are so vague here, 2014 benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the clouds and weigh all options before making decisions that are going to impact the organization long term.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Morale is low, pay is low, high turn around, depressing environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsThe CEO gives a good talk, but he is either a good talker or he is totally clueless of the morale issues.

Cons1) Low pay
    2) .08 cent raise in three years of employment
    3) No bonuses. NADA, NOTHING. Never worked for a company like that.
    4) You are NOT a person of VALUE.... you are a metric number.
    5) Speed not accuracy or quality is required.
    6) Unrealistic goals, if you don't meet their unrealistic goals, they will make your day a living hell because you will hear about how BAD you are at your job every single day.
    7) NO PRAISE.... you are and you will never be good enough. Reach a goal of 23, they change it to 28, make 30, they change the goal to 33, make 35, they change the goal to 43. NEVER GOOD ENOUGH!
    8) Not over 50 age friendly. If you are a supervisor over 50, they will replace you with an unqualified younger person and boot your ass out the door.
    9) If you are a woman over the age o 50 they will never give you the opportunity to move on to other departments, they will hire the young ones.
    10) If you know how to brown nose, have a relative that works there or go to the same church that all the 'churchie' people go to, then you are golden. Your job is stable.
    11) Religious crap all over the desks and I actually had a supervisor that quoted bible verses to me. Seriously and he will not give me a referral. Very Christian like towards their Christian like co-workers, others, you are inferior.
    12) Desk sharing.....germs!!! Gross!
    13) If you have put in 3 years and want to sign up for the work at home program they will let the newbies do the home at work program, but forget about you doing it, because they will make up reasons why you cannot do that.They will tell you that you don't know how to do things and the supervisor doesn't even know how to do these things, because they have specific departments that do these things.... our dept doesn't do these things and I don't need to know these things, but that is the excuse you are using.... WOW!! You really think I"m that stupid!??
    14) 5 different supervisors in 3 years. 12 different desk moves in 3 years. No stability. Constantly coming up with new game plans to make the company successful, but all that is happening is shifting desks and wasting resources and time.
    15) If one of those supervisors is unrealistic and on a power trip because he is now a supervisor, he will leave bad comments about you and all your new supervisors will judge you on his comments instead of getting to know your work ethic. Even if you have a new supervisor for only a week, they will give you attitude.
    16) You can work 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week and it will not reflect on your review. They only point out negatives.
    17) If you are two minutes late from a break you will get your pay docked. If you don't take your breaks the majority of the time, no one will thank you for the extra work you are giving the company.
    18) Plan on being sick, something is wrong with the air quality. If you complain, plan on your life becoming miserable because the company no longer wants you working there.
    19) Point out that 12 people have gotten cancer in 3 years in a small company and 7 of them have died and go back to #18. Apparently, this is normal.
    20) If you are FMLA because air quality is so bad and you sneeze and vomit at work, you will still be penalized, such as no raise and no opportunities for advancement. I was told I could not apply for any other jobs. I was also reprimanded if anyone came by my desk to say'hi'. Everyone else could screw off, talk non-stop, but if I spent my shift quiet and working, if one person came by to say 'hi' I would get in trouble.
    21) The worst case of favoritism I have ever seen in any company.
    22) If you come to work to do your job, it doesn't matter. They are looking for a 30 something environment who will conform and allow them to program you. If you come in and just work, they will still try to get you out of the company. I can't believe how many people over 50 who have been let go or demoted.

The best part.......... If you quit your job, with two weeks notice to move out of state, this is what you can count on:
    1) Your supervisor will actually say to a potential employer, "I will not give her a referral because I wasn't her supervisor long enough."
    2) ECOVA has outsourced their reference (HR duties) to a different company, where a prospective employer has to PAY to get information on your work.
    3) If you have been sick and on FMLA your stats will just say how many days absent. It will not state why.
    4) Since it's outsourced, nothing will state you worked 10 hours shifts, 6 days a week, did anything positive, etc.
    5) You are a number
    6) Plan on not being employed for a very long time!!! 5 months later, over 500 resumes and I still do not have a new job. Companies don't want to pay to get my reference from ECOVA and to have a supervisor actually say as stated in #1 is beyond unprofessional!!!

SHAME ON ECOVA!!

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act because even a CEO is replaceable and you never know, maybe your next potential employer may not want to pay to get your referral of your employment either. Look into the cancer rate, that is unacceptable too. You can contact CDC, they will investigate it for you. Your employees should not be literally dying because of the land the building is built on or the supplies used in that building.

Treat your employees better and you won't get these ratings or comments.

Worked for Ecova? Contribute to the Community!