Edaptive Computing

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Praveen Chawla

Edaptive is professional, dedicated and GROWING!

Contracts (Current Employee)
    Dayton, OH

ProsThe atmosphere at ECI is top-notch; the employees are happy and we work to help the business grow. ECI has grown rapidly thanks to the entire team. I couldn't imagine working anywhere other than ECI. The CEO is brilliant and leads with passion for the organization. The COO is dedicated to process controls to ensure ECI runs in a healthy fashion. Overall, ECI ROCKS!!!!!! Join the team if you want to work for a growing organization dedicated to success!

ConsNot Applicable at Edaptive Computing

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the growth and dedication to your team. Please continue to lead Team EDAptive proudly!

Long Standing House of Cards

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to get your foot in the door at the entry level. You'll probably like your co-workers and it's a good place to make friends.

Cons- This place gets cheap labor by preying on inexperienced engineers, supplies rock bottom salaries in general, and is solely focused on return on investments. This might work in the short run, but with high turnover and bad blood, new comers are forced to re-learn previously built systems without training or transition from the originators which has resulted in a culmination of stove-piped solutions with no real technical core.

- The senior management has a servant/master mentality and if you are unfortunate to work under them you will be expected to provide a limitless amount of work and effort with very little incentives. For example, you will be told to write full 25 page proposals that aren't in your areas of expertise, are provided a mere 4 hours to perform research and are given a maximum of 16 hours to complete them. if you can't finish in this amount of time (it is highly unlikely that you would be able to), you are expected to do it on "your own time" and to respectfully decline is not a valid option.

- if you plan on leaving the company be sure to use all of your vacation time beforehand unless you are prepared to fight a court battle to get compensated for it.

- We were encouraged through email to write reviews saying how wonderful of a place to work it is. Half of the positive reviews on here seem fabricated -- many of them even have the EXACT same title.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook before you leap. Work on building a solid technical foundation and gathering the required resources before shooting to the stars. Think about getting an HR department if you continue to aspire for rapid growth. Buy your own coffee to give to customers during meetings instead of pirating it from the employee-run coffee group.

Be sure to get the whole story

Pros-40 hour work week because it is all government contracts, and very rare cases you'll get overtime. Although I don't know of anyone that has been approved for their extra time, so its all off the clock.

-The "underlings" and middle management are some of the coolest guys* you'll ever meet. They will be fairly open about their opinions, and be super helpful to you. It took me a while to get to know more people, but I really like the people here, but that is the only reason this gets 2 starts. My super visor, PMs, and the guys sitting around me.

Cons*I asterixed the guys because there are 0 women who work here that are not family of the CEO. I think it is pretty difficult to reach 55 people without a single female employee. Rumor has it, they will bring in women for interviews every couple of months just to say they tried, but in all reality they don't want women for who knows why. "distractions" I don't know.

-Pro and con, majority of people will be hired within a week of contact. This is good if you are desperate for a job, which most people are when the reach this company. I think they recruit people who have been down on their luck so they can get them for a steal. They rush the contract process because they don't want to negotiate. Ask for a copy of the contract prior to making a verbal commitment, you probably will not receive it. Everyone here is under paid, and they want to catch you off guard so they can get you for a bargain as well.

-leads me to a point about money. The administration is the largest set of penny pinchers I've ever met. Look around and you will see many examples of it. Furniture is from Ikea, Chewy Granola bars are rationed in the break room, coffee has a cover charge per cup, and a recent happening, a company picnic happened during office hours. We were told to make up the time for when we were at the park because it was going to last longer than our normal lunch hour. Also, lunch is not paid. 40 hour work week, 45 if you take an hour lunch every day.

-Be 100% clear in any negotiating you do if you choose to get hired on (not recommended). I have heard people asking about getting more education and they will say "we support you getting your masters" and by support they mean they wont stop you from getting it, not that they would support you financially. Heaven forbid they invest in their workers.

-But they do highly care about their personal "company" resume to sell themselves for more contracts. But the badges they are trying to put onto their website and proposals are just for show. I hear they have full intentions of not following up with processes once the whole company becomes "certified" with various programs, and just faking data every year after to maintain their certification.

-Overhead: Anyone who becomes a Senior level/ Project Manager/ Supervisor will be micromanaged. Its how upper management works. Also I hear they don't give adequate time for any task which use overhead hours. Again, to cut back costs. If you are not willing to put money into the foundation of your company, you probably are not planning of being around long.

-The handbook is dated for 2007, and is terribly written. This allows for management to make up the final ruling based on the situation and their opinion of you. Hardly any of it even is relevant any more. It references people who no longer work here and forms which no longer exist. They say you are going to get a 90 day review, but as with all policies, this can come at 60, 90, 6 months or even never. I have found that you only get called into a meeting if they found something and are going to ream you a new one so they can justify your lack luster salary.
    There is never any praise, if you are not getting attention, then you are doing well. Otherwise you are feeling wraith. (these statements are for upper management only, you direct supervisor will work with your and mentor you. Either that or this is the best game of good cop bad cop I've ever seen. I'm sorry if you are applying for an overhead position, aka non-developer)

-Benefits are lackluster.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop faking some of the posts on here so it looks like this company is good. Make the company good so people put on truthful reviews. Stop penny pinching and see how you can invest in your employees and allowing those employees to have adequate resources to seek now contracts. Having a turnover rate of about 1 person leaving a month is not a statistic to brag about when you are under 60 people. You've dug yourself a mighty fine whole, I don't know if they make ladders that tall. Good luck.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Questionable Motives, Questionable Company

Developer (Former Employee)
    Miamisburg, OH

ProsThey are a small company doing very interesting software development and R&D for government SBIR (small business innovative research) contracts. The opportunity to interact with DoD types is very educational. The developers, project leaders, and team leaders are very supportive of each other.

ConsUpper management seems to have a difficult time staying focused on customer's (US Government) needs, easily getting distracted by "appearances". Many projects are understaffed and people are bounced from one project to another, with little thought on who is best suited to the project. Employees use IKEA 2ft by 4ft tables for desks (cheap, yet everything looks the same), and there are no cubicles (translation, no privacy, and big brother is always watching!). It seems to effect how the company is run on a day to day basis. One of the members of upper management is brilliant when he stays focused on the technology; but even he gets distracted frequently. Others in upper management have severe trust / authority issues. Overall, upper management is secretive, arbitrary with their decisions, and play favorites with their personnel. Salaries are typically 15% to 25% low compared to other government contractors. Performance reviews, performance incentives and bonuses are rarely follow through with as promised, mostly being whittled away to nothing by caveats or restrictions. Over the last two years, turn-over has been about 20%.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing personnel and let the talented developers do their job unhindered. Pay more and stop being "penny wise and pound foolish" with salaries. Update the employee handbook, because it is woefully out of date, and employees NEED a reliable, concrete resource for the company policies and procedures. Follow through with bonuses and performance incentives as promised at the interview, without all the caveats and restrictions. *REALLY* let employees "run the company that is at their desks". Hire a proper, trained Human Resources Director and knowledgeable IT support.

Great place to work!

Current Developer (Current Employee)
    Dayton, OH

ProsBest part about my job here is the interesting work I get to do. Diversity of experience gained as a result has been wonderful. Company has been growing over the last couple of years and that has led to a lot of new opportunities. I like the ability to choose my own investments under Fidelity SIMPLE IRA. I like the couple of floating holidays available to me every year. Company has recently acquired new space to accommodate its growth. I like more personal space and privacy that has come with new partitions that have been added. I love my quad core desktop. I like the free food and drinks.

ConsI would like to see more incentives for job related certifications and training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue your conversation with the employees. I appreciate the fact that you listen and act on our advice. Please continue to improve processes and procedures. That will be even more important as you grow further.

A great place to work

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Beavercreek, OH

ProsWorking for a small company has been an interesting and rewarding experience. The company has more then doubled in size since I came to the company in 2011. When I came the company had about 20 people and now it is well over 40. When I started management asked me to review all their process documentation. I was impressed with their tenacity in wanting to be efficient with their process and several of the suggestions I made were later implemented. My impression is that Edaptive Computing is a fast moving company that is every changing in most part to its rapid growth.

Not all of the employees at Edaptive work at the Edaptive office which at times seams over-crowded. Several of us are support DOD contracts and work at the client sites. The company has done a good job of making their contracted out employees feel like they are a part of the team. In my experience companies struggle with keeping their client based employees loyal to the company. The company has accomplished this by providing generous salary actions, bonuses, free lunches and company activities such as bowling. Plus whenever I come over to the office there is free food and drink in the refrigerator.

One of the things that Edaptive provides is a matching simple IRA with no vesting period. The company asks employees to open a simple IRA with Fidelity and then the company matches the employees contributions. What is great with a simple IRA is that it is not limited to strictly and mutual funds but can be invested directly into local companies and real estate!

Overall, I am very satisfied with being a part of the Edaptive team.

Overall, I am very satisfied with being a part of the Edaptive team.

ConsRapid growth has created office space issues. It seams like they are having to expand the office space every few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work though the growning pains that are the result of the great success you are having. Edaptive will need to continue to be adaptive.

This is one of the best places to work

Software Developer II (Current Employee)
    Dayton, OH

ProsOver the years I have work at dead end crap jobs that offer nothing in return to their employee except a paycheck. At my previous Job you were just a temp body filling a spot for years on end. They would occupationally offer up the possibility of hiring you on as a full worker but even then there was no raises. The only thing being a permanent employ got you was the option to spend part of you check on health insurance and you could forget about retirement. With Edaptive there is no "will hire you as a temp and see how it goes after a few years". You are hired in as a full employee with health insurance and a matching simple IRA with no vesting period. In the current job market this is a diminishing idea.

In my experience management has always been willing to listen and work with any employee to solve any issues they may have.

ConsRapid growth has created office space issues. It seams like we are having to expand the office space every few months

Advice to Senior Managementas it was said earlier we need to continue to work though the growning pains that are the result of the great success we are having. Edaptive will need to continue to be adaptive.

A nice, relaxed place to work

Software Developer II (Current Employee)
    Centerville, OH

ProsLots of interesting government projects. If there isn't one there that interests you, every quarter is open season on SBIR projects, and if you ask management and we have the tools you can write a proposal to start up a project.

Working hours are relatively flexible; core hours are 9-4, but if you have to get something done during that time period all they ask is that you send out an email and then make up that time during the same pay period.

Schedules are generally lax; if you're working on something and you need more time you just have to ask for it. It's rare that you find that your project is on a tight time table.

A large group of intelligent, generally friendly people to work with.

ConsCompensation is below average for most positions.

Desks and chairs for all but senior level management are close to the smallest you can get from IKEA. They are very close to the maximum number of employees they can fit into their current square footage (though they recently acquired the building next door, they haven't yet moved into it).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore compensation would be nice.

Taking a job here was a bad idea

Developer (Current Employee)
    Dayton, OH

ProsAll my peers are great people to work with.
    They have free snacks and a nice kitchen.
    You can make up sick time, doctors, appointments, etc by working late a few days a week rather than using your vacation.

ConsAttrition is VERY high. A year ago there were only 30 employees here. Now, a year later there are 50-something. That's quite a bit of growth but one thing you need to be aware of that should set off lots of alarms is 11 people left the company in the last year as well. So, if you figure an average of 40 employees over the last year and 11 of them have left that's an attrition rate of over 25%. Even if you use the current number of 50-something employees that's still an attrition rate of nearly 20%. Why are so many people leaving. It's simple:
    1. Tiny desks situated in a large room. The setup is highly distracting and far below the standards developers expect at similar companies. Cubicles would help immensely.
    2. Pay is below average. Most of the people that have left are receiving 20% or more compensation and better benefits.
    3. Upper management tells you they want you to come to them with any problems but they will blow anything way out of proportion and basically tell you that you're an idiot for even the smallest suggestion if they disagree with your point of view. So, on the surface they tell you they want you to come to them to address issues but in reality unless you're masochistic you quickly learn that it's better to just keep your mouth shut and go look for another job if you're unhappy. That's what 20% of the employees have done so far. If things continue as they are currently I expect that ratio to increase or at least stay the same.
    4. When a coworker does leave they, for some reason, are not allowed to tell anyone they're leaving so if you get stuck working on what they left behind you have no chance to ask them questions. This is highly inefficient and when friends leave without being able to say goodbye it hurts company morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to fix the issues address in the cons section. Larger desks, cubicles, better pay, and a management team that doesn't belittle you and chastise you for bringing up very minor superficial issues would help greatly. Also, implement a realistic policy for allowing people who resign to tell their coworkers they're leaving rather than everyone just discovering one day that they're no longer here. Once a guy had been gone for three weeks and someone came looking for him to ask a question. They thought he was sick that day rather than having resigned and left three weeks prior. Why you think it's a good idea not to tell people their coworker left is beyond comprehension. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away; it makes the problems WORSE!

Its a job

ProsGreat Projects to work with. Many are incredibly fulfilling.

Great Employees to work for. Not a single person I don't like in the building.

ConsNo personal space for anyone and the desks are incredibly small. Very low pay for the work. Raises are very small.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter desks. Better pay. Listen to what your employees are telling you. Please. We want to continue working here.

Worked for Edaptive Computing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edaptive Computing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Edaptive Computing CEO Dr. Praveen Chawla . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Edaptive Computing employees.