Edaptive Systems

www.edaptivesys.com

Edaptive Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Edaptive Systems – “Office”

Frank Blair

Great owners, strong HR department, strong team work ethic

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsExperience depends on your project assignment. If I have a challenging day, I remember the road blocks that I experience the management tries to address. There is truly an effort to make the company an employee friendly place. Like all companies who have a sudden growth spurt, there have been bumps in the road. The owners do listen and try to make improvements to the workflow, reviews, support and suggestion channels. They desire to keep the small company feel by providing sodas, coffee and orange juice. Once a month, they treat contractors and employees with a free lunch.

Education is encouraged strongly. They understand if their team builds their skills, the company is more marketable for other contracts or partnerships.

Telecommunting several days 1 - 3 days a week is encouraged as long as you are able to complete tasks and deadlines.

ConsSome managers do not have the talent to manage or communicate properly. Employees give feedback that informs their sr. managers where their functional managers need to focus their skills.

Job Opportunities are plentiful for Maryland employees. Non-Maryland residents have been considered for Maryland posted positions but the employee must have a history of working hard and being a great communicator.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee feedback for mid manager performance review should occur twice a year just like a standard employees. It gives a manager an ability to correct skewed behavior.

If you are looking for a company that means what they say - Edaptive is the place!!

ProsIf you are looking for a company that means what they say - Edaptive is the place. Work balance? Not just a concept - a reality. Agile work environment? Reality even in the tough govt workspace!!! Great people, great environment... Nowhere is perfect, but these guys really try.

If you're looking for a place you can grow & learn - this is the place!!!! Come join us if you can. Learning organization. Small enough to branch out and try new things. Honest communication... They appreciate their employees!!! Good money, reasonable raises and benefits...

ConsNone that I've seen.... Nothing negative from me....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good People Don't Stay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsFree soft drinks and coffee; free lunch once a month; proximity to gym and Subway; free parking; strong Business Development Team.

ConsHigh turnover rate. Only tool in the Corporate management toolbox is a "hammer." No recognition by corporate management of a job well-done. Human Resources only supports top management and is not supportive of employees. Lack of college degrees and management training by some in top management roles. Little involvement of Partners in corporate operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage and support employees and stop micromanaging tasks. Focus more on staffing and succeeding on current contracts and projects and a little less on next year and the next big contract bid.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like life, work is what YOU make of it!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of openings, opportunities for training and growth only if you seek it out. If you're content on doing the minimum during the day, you should look elsewhere. The teams I have worked with push each other to succeed and it has been extremely rewarding. In a government setting where things move slow or decisions come at the last minute that's a lot to ask. The growth of the company has been amazing over the past few years and the sky is the limit with Edaptive!

ConsNot enough sundae days in the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on winning contracts and change the bonus structure so it trickles down to the masses.

Toddlers with ant farms

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsNothing really good to say. They encourage 50-60 hour weeks, disprove of prototyping or new ideas despite approving tools, CMs tend to make stuff up as they go, and managers follow ripped slides from wikipedia. Everybody are"yes" men and are more mindless drones with no real ideas or solutions. Mediocrity is defended well and if managers aren't giving the ideas, they neglect the team. I have never seen a PM texting in peripheral sight of a customer during a sprint review or heard a manager ask an employee about a basic Agile staple despite apparently having a higher cert, and attempting to sell "agile" to the govt. It is one thing to oversell, but I have seen more peddling of side projects than actual team deliverables. I wonder how many of these reviews are plants. A lot I bet. Edaptive is cheap. They put on a good show but cannot provide business cards to the employees unless they meet customers or even get a JIRA or even a TRAC like system. These guys will bait and switch you anyway they can.

Cons-Bad benefits
    -No defect system
    -Bait and switch
    -Rejection of good talent
    -No really proven Agile managers, just smoke and mirrors

Advice to Senior Management-Get your priorities straight
    -Listen to your team, support prototyping
    -Like AA, admitting you have a problem is step 1/12. That does nothing to correct the issue.
    -Selling "Agile" is fine, but conditioning of customers to believe in unrealistic things from the team is not. North Korea is a pretty good place to live if you believe their state t.v.
    -How about shelling some coin for defect and ticket tracking system?
    -The hivemind mindset needs to get dumped otherwise you'll lose your precious "contracts"
    -Quit being defensive and reactionary or you'll sink your team
    -Get agile coaches and proven managers in there. Stop putting untrained personnel who can only pass a test in roles of direct management seeking to prove their worth. It doesn't benefit the team and ego before team never wins out.
    -When you put someone in charge of a task who is supposed to be your SME on the subject and you spend more time under utilizing him/her off, questioning their integrity, and less listening to their recommendations, expect to feel the pinch. When you pick a technology and are so uneducated in its use, but you turn to someone who has that knowledge or extends an olive branch to learn from an expert, you uplift them from Day 1 and not Day 31. When your employees are venting to fellow employees and not managers, there is a clear problem. When your employees trash your "decrees" or deride your solutions meting after meeting, you might want to listen before speaking.
    -Do your research before arbitrarily picking things and speaking like a newb to an expert.
    -Work smarter and not harder. Options over decrees. Team goals over management promises and directives. Efficiency over OT.
    -If you are going to claim agile, do more than just show off awards on a t.v.
    -Get better benefits
    -Learn some proper business etiquette and respect while your team gives a demo., no walking out, no cell phones, no screwing around. You send bad signals to customers.

Great company to work for if you are a go getter!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsManagers encourage ideas, enthusiasm, and hard work. The company has a comfortable setting since you can wear jeans if you are not meeting with a client. The company takes good care of employees who put forth the effort. Being a parent is not an issue here, they have flex hours and understand snow days.

ConsIt is a lot of work that you will take on and be prepared to wear a lot of hats. However, it does not go unoticed. Just must be able to handle stress well.

Excellent place to build a career - not just a job.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsMany, many career opportunities. Team member satisfaction is taken very seriously.

ConsA few minor growing pains, but very minor to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with career and internal growth opportunities.

Overview Jan 2014

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBright people that are team players

Consnot always a clear direction

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A blend of challenging problems to solve with strong leadership

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsIt is definitely not a boring job. There are a lot of interesting problems to solve and you will be challenged to learn. I have found owners very loyal to employees and willing to make changes to keep employees happy. The company is much larger now so employees can share workload and take month long vacations. With a larger company the owners can pursue more opportunities without having to sacrifice current work. Also the bad reviews of company seem to fit the smaller (10+ employees) Edaptive of the past. Edaptive has grown in a lot of ways since then!

ConsThe company has been through a lot of growing pains in the last 3 years. We went from about 10 to over 200 employees. The owners management style does not always trickle down to managers or as fast as I'd like.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more Edaptive culture assimilation to managers.

Best place I've ever worked

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsGreat culture focused on customers and employees, opportunity to grow both horizontally and vertically, excellent executive team

Consunrealistic expectations from other employees

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you do

Worked for Edaptive Systems? Contribute to the Community!