Eddie Bauer Reviews

Reset
2.8
Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly customers that are very loyal and I got to meet some great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Deterioration of work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count (in 8 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Wonderful Discount. Quality clothing. Learned lots from the training they gave me. Great bonuses. Customer service is there top priority which is hard to find now a day. All about living your adventure which means generous with time off and working around your schedule.

Cons

They work you like a dog. The pay isn't all that great. Trying to get in more youthful customers but loosing the people who come back year after year. Floor set product always late.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great training and customer service. Maybe if you paid a living wage the management would stick around a little bit longer.

2. Trouble in River City!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The product is good. The majority of the people there are fun and competent. The work has variety. Culture is all about the outdoors.

Cons

There is an inconsistent commitment to developing talent. Corporate is manager centric with no employee advocacy program. Micromanagement is a huge issue. Indecisive SMT. Unproductive competition amongst management teams as well as a distrust.

Advice to Management

Trust in your staff. Find better ways to weed out BAD Managers. Institute incentive program that recognizes departments that are not easily measured by matrix.

3. Product Developer

Former Employee - Product Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Product Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment. Great Benefits. Clear job responsibilities and career paths.

Cons

Upper management is indecisive on direction of the company which costs the company a great deal of money. Company needs to advertise their merchandise more. Too many people in upper management that don't have great managerial skills.

Advice to Management

Stay with the companies Core customer and make small changes that will not scare them away.

Nice coworkers almost make up for the annoying treatment and working for a company in identity crisis.

Current Employee - Sales Guide in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Guide in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, nice people. The decor of the store is cool. The staff is a good team, with most people doing their best.

Cons

They managers harp on the staff constantly. It's like they never shut up. There's s lot of melodrama. We do get the problem mostly is from stress being handed down from above them. But, that's not a good atmosphere. With both training and any praise, the treatment gets patronizing and pushy. There's always a contest going on, usually about getting credit card sign ups. Because everyone is already putting in the effort, these contests only feel like more harping. Another con would be their identity crisis due to frequent changes in merchandise concept.

Advice to Management

Back off your people. And, bring back the women's jeans!

It's like working with someone with ADD. This company changes every day what they are, where they want to go.

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Great discounts ,great product. The product is there. The teams are there.

Cons

There is no training, and no focus . Corporate needs to focus on what is going on in the store.

Advice to Management

Stop and try something for ten minutes. Stop brow beating staff everyday

7. Mismanaged, unfocused, disorganized & no loyalty to long time employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Groveport, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too many pros to be honest. I've met 4 ppl there in 2 yrs there that I'd consider friendsVery flexible attendance policy. That's it

Cons

Alot of backstabbing, drama & call center reps that act like children who hv no idea what business environment means.I've personally see the groveport big shot Steve walk thru the warehouse in 2013, point fingers & hv ppl walked out. 5 I personally seen this happen to. The entire HR dept was cleared out, some had been there over 10 yrs, to make way for a bunch of 20 somethings temps that seemed to know nothing. No loyalty to employees. Rules seem to change every cpl of wks when it comes to procedures in cust service. They don't work bugs out before implementation of anything & when something does work they remove it for something else. Just when you get used to something it's gone. I.T. is HORRIBLE. I start a new job next wk. I do not recommend working at least at this location. There is 1 team lead that has had numerous HR complaints due to sexual harassment that's still there cos he always plays the race card when he's called out so there afraid to fire him. Complaints are swept away & ppl who make them always seem to be fired within a cpl wks.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty & develop leadership better. Give promotions to actual qualified ppl instead of the "Yes Men".

8. Not what I expected......

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Decent discount Fun employees Mellow work environment. (Most days) Easiest black friday I'd ever worked.

Cons

Micro management style drove me crazy Terrible training program CO-manager knew little about outdoor industry technology yet trained the sales team incorrectly anyway leaving me to fix it. New pos system was flawed Expectations and payroll did not mesh well Too much emphasis on ebay credit card. Making plan fell to the wayside because credit card sign ups were king.

Advice to Management

If you want Eddie Bauer to compete with other major outdoor brands, proper training on technology is an absolute must!

9. Was a great company, now going down hill.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a great discount on product. Upper management was very supportive about helping me relocate to another Eddie Bauer when I needed to move as well as adjusting my salary to reflect the cost of living increase. I really loved the idea behind "live your adventure" I just wish more sales guides embraced it. I learned a lot about managing a team and how to run a store with this company. I do feel Eddie prepared me to run my own store. The full time benefits are nice and HR is really easy to work with.

Cons

Everything was marked down so quickly, I have no idea how they are making any money! Customers know this and will not pay full price for anything. There is way too much emphasis on selling credit cards that it takes away from the customer experience. Plus tons of pressure for the management team to be the top sales performers, as well as do all the back of house paperwork, transfers, guide ranking, scheduling, ect. I felt we didn't get enough payroll to perform all the floorsets and heavy markdowns effectively and a lot has to be done during store hours which can effect the customer experience. Not to mention our absent DM who did not manage her time well and didn't train our store manager properly. She was supposed to spend a week with her and barely spent two days training her. Then looked to me to do her job and finish training (because I was already running the store and was passed over for the promotion) Not to mention this was right before the holiday season started.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at the District Managers! Because I moved I had the opportunity to see two in action. One was great the other is making everyone miserable. You know something is not working when everyone in a district is quitting their job. Please make sure they are trained and providing proper support to their guides and not leaving it up to tenured staff to do their job!

10. Great service philosophy. High expectations for managers.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous employee discount. Good compensation for experience level. Company has strong connection to the outdoor industry. If you have a passion for the out doors and service company is an ideal match.

Cons

Maintaining a work life balance with young children is nearly impossible for me with a longer commute to work. As with all retailers, payroll is tight requiring managers to come in later in morning and stay later at night.

11. Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An incredible group of talented and dedicated employees committed to one another. Great 401k vesting schedule and great discount. The Live Your Adventure program would be great if you actually have time to use it.

Cons

Zero work-life balance, zero flexibility, horrible location, company culture has deteriorated, zero recognition for how hard you work. Constantly laying people off and forcing the work onto everyone else. Pay is low for the sheer volume and workload. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Advice to Management

They will never listen so there's no point to ever speak up or say anything.

RSS Feed </> Embed