Eddie Bauer Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
282 reviews filtered by
Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 9 reviews)

• Meet great people, work in a friendly atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count (in 22 reviews)

• no work life balance, change promo , windows, door signs daily, don't treat everyone the same (in 8 reviews)

1. Sales Floor

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Amazing coworkers and manager. Reallyenjoyed working woth everyone andenjoyed the discount as well.

Cons

Couldn't work there long enough because of college. In addition to college, the specific store location I worked at closed..so I really miss wprking and shopping there.

2. Management

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time

Pros

Good team, hard working individuals.

Cons

Old guard runs the company - no room for innovation.

Advice to Management

Support the newer employees, your old timers ran the business and have not brought any new innovation to the table.

3. They expect a lot!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My DM was a previous SM, so she was very real. She knew what could be done and what couldn't. Amazing quality products. Great discount.

Cons

They always expected more of you. It was a lot of hours to get the job done. Minimum of 50-55. They never give you enough hours to get the job done. They are going through so many co. changes, you can't keep up. Eddie Bauer financially is failing. You can never get your bonus', because you can never make plan.

5. Great company, but???

Former Employee - Associate Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Associate Sales Leader

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time

Pros

Upper Management focus on retaining top notch customer experience.

Cons

Everyone, job is dependable.

Sad decline over the years...

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

The wages are good in comparison to the competition.

Cons

Poor moral and EVERYONE is very overworked!! Benefits that were in place several years ago are all gone. No training!

Advice to Management

The company desperately needs more work-life balance!! The turnover isn't healthy and no one cares.

Was a great company, heading downhill.

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a great discount on product. Upper management was very supportive about helping me relocate to another Eddie Bauer when I needed to move as well as adjusting my salary to reflect the cost of living increase. I really loved the idea behind "live your adventure" I just wish more sales guides embraced it. I learned a lot about managing a team and how to run a store with this company. I do feel Eddie prepared me to run my own store.

Cons

Everything was marked down so quickly. Customers know this and will not pay full price for anything. There is way too much emphasis on selling credit cards that it takes away from the customer experience. Plus tons of pressure for the management team to be the top sales performers, plus do all the back of house paperwork, transfers, guide ranking, scheduling, ect. I felt we didn't get enough payroll to perform all the floorsets and heavy markdowns effectively and a lot has to be done during store hours. Not to mention our absent DM who did not manage her time well and didn't train our store manager properly.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at the District Managers! Because I moved I had the opportunity to see two in action. One was great the other is making everyone miserable. You know something is not working when everyone in a district is quitting their job. Please make sure they are trained and providing proper support to their guides and not leaving it up to tenured staff to do their job!

8. Not a bad place to spend a year or three.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Eddie Bauer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours during holiday/sale seasons and decent pay for a basic retail position. A quite generous employee discount to encourage "branding" of sales associates, coupled with an actual interest in getting products tested in the real world. Management also had a sincere concern for working around student schedules.

Cons

Hours based on "force ranking" which frequently results in more employee metagaming than actual performance evaluation. Promotion from within was fairly rare, with most non-associate positions being filled by new hires. Store hours severely limited, resulting in frequently limited staff on site.

9. Retail position

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

They seem to promote from within

Cons

High expectations, lack of tools. Product needs to find itself. Target market is confusing.

Advice to Management

Provide more tools for success.

10. Really good team atmosphere & I like that they encouraged you go be active.

Current Employee - Sales Guide in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Guide in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had a really positive team to work with when Dee M. was there! The competitions they held within our stores was so great, it gave you potential to work your stuff and make extra money!

Cons

The atmosphere totally changed when our managers Dee and Olga left and a few employees, including myself, left. The discount on the gear wasn't as great as the clothing (for obvious reasons) but it made it hard to attest to the wear and tear of the tents and such like I did so well with the clothing!

Advice to Management

Do greater discounts on the tents and other gear more often like a key item. -This only happened once while I worked there over 1 1/2 years. Consider commissions or upping hourly pay for employees.

11. Good retail job.

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relationships/connections through public contact
    Discount/pro deals
    Time off

Cons

Retail environment
    Difficulty using PTO