Eddie Bauer Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
2.9

Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 10 reviews)

• Great People, Great Products, Great Company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be challenging based on demands of the business (in 16 reviews)

• Internal Customer Service has gone to the wayside (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Stretched thin

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

people, vision, brand, supportive environment

Cons

personal growth, work-life balance, structure, leadership, execution

Eddie is heading in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to move up within company.

Cons

No work life balance. Higher management forgets how things actually runs inside the stores. Different departments don't talk to each other resulting in multiple sale changes a week, etc. Customers always get their way without the company backing their management . They changed the discount policy, now it is not as encouraging to purchase product.

Good system as far as retail goes

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I worked at Eddie Bauer part-time for more than a year

Pros

decent benefits, good employee discounts on great gear, helpful training system

Cons

repetitive, sometimes very slow days, low pay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good professional experience....although, lots of highs and lows.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-the people with whom I worked were truly great. They were the best part of my work experience.
    -the company has a lot of 'activities' for employees, promoting a 'Live Your Adventure' lifestyle.
    -product is finally starting to become consistent. We were confusing customers for a long time...seems to be getting back on track.
    -living and working in Seattle (Bellevue) is beautiful!

Cons

-there are some members of leadership who really do need to move on. Some have been there for so long, and the company needs fresh perspectives on all levels.
    -there are too many layers of leadership. SVP this, VP that, Director here, Senior Manager there.....get over it!
    Simplify the reporting structure. There are too many cooks in the kitchen....too many opinions being thrown around, which leads to inefficiency.
    -I felt that EB is trying to be everything to everyone. I suggest they focus on a couple aspects of lifestyle, instead of trying to 'do' so many different things.
    -women's line is a total bore. Needs a fresh perspective.

-too many promotions!! ease up....believe in the product and don't put it on sale so quickly.
    -ease up on the catalogs!! Aside from the waste of paper....who even looks at those things anymore? They get tossed right in the recycle bin. Time to start thinking of a newer, more modern approach to reaching customers.
    -ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE!!! Whenever I mention to anyone that I worked for EB, the first response I hear is "Oh, they're still around??".

Desperately going nowhere

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time

Pros

Everyone says it's the people who are great at EB and that is true. They offer half day Fridays in the summer but the workload is so heavy that many people are never or rarely able to take it. The opportunity to travel over seas and learn about building product is valuable for those on the design and PD teams that are able to go.

Cons

As wonderful as the people are, after two or three years most become very apathetic and frustrated because it is such a difficult company to work in. It's a revolving door. Either you are trying to be a lifer because Seattle is where you want to live so you stay under the radar and try to figure out a work life balance or you are counting the days until your two year relocation "contract" is up. The amount of change is staggering and the design teams are never able to move forward. Design has many micro managers from the CEO on down and thus eventually just do as told. The working conditions for design are terrible. Really tight, messy and unfunctional. I would definitely not recommend EB as a place to work unless you were were desperate for work.

Executive team needs to be visionary enough to give input and direction early and then stop micro managing on the tail end down to the back neck labels. Turning around the company is more than a numbers game. It's about the people and culture too and you need to pay more attention to the culture. Upper management and especially the CEO is very removed from the troops on the ground. The CEO really needs to refrain from angry outbursts (swearing) in milestone meetings.

Don't even think twice.....

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time

Pros

discount 50-60%
    one good manager
    cute clothes
    great sales

Cons

everyone is greedy when it comes to sales
    the store manager is greedy
    they always harass you about your wardrobe
    don't pay enough to suggest what you should buy
    down your throat about sales goals/credit
    some workers seem racist towards colleagues/customers especially oriental people and hispanics.

Different than before

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Time off accrual, customers, staff

Cons

Work/life balance, micromanagement, communication, organization

Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time

Pros

The Quality of the clothing is amazing, The fact that the company with pay you to do stuff outdoors. Clothing is finally getting up to date to what's trendy, {even though most of the loyal customers only come because they are looking for clothes that aren't trendy}. Awesome return policy.

Cons

Ever since the restructuring of the south region, to be combined, it has been a lot harder to control for SM to have a good relationship with RM or GM, The south is a lot of land/stores to cover so, many of the problems stem from that. Clothing is a little geared towards grandpa, so it's hard to find something cute to where after you leave the company. As long as Eddie Bauer can accommodate both gramps and young son, that would be the right direction.

Have fun, don't stress out sales associates.

Team is great. I like the Live your adventure programs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

They value your insights. Culture, People, Benefits are great. Best company to work for.

Cons

It takes time to step up in your career

Quick movement and faced paced selling culture

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the teams I've worked with. The regional DVP is a great trainer and very committed to the brand and bringing up people from within.

Cons

The company has been transitioning to a heavily focused sales culture. Its not enough to want to help people, you have to produce sales as well as credit. Very aggressive coaching if you aren't making the cut.

People work for people, the longer you let toxic management run stores, the less profitable and stable it will be.

Worked for Eddie Bauer? Contribute to the Community!