Eddie Bauer

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 10 reviews)

• Great People, Great Products, Great Company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be challenging based on demands of the business (in 16 reviews)

• Internal Customer Service has gone to the wayside (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Supervisor

Pros

The Quality of the clothing is amazing, The fact that the company with pay you to do stuff outdoors. Clothing is finally getting up to date to what's trendy, {even though most of the loyal customers only come because they are looking for clothes that aren't trendy}. Awesome return policy.

Cons

Ever since the restructuring of the south region, to be combined, it has been a lot harder to control for SM to have a good relationship with RM or GM, The south is a lot of land/stores to cover so, many of the problems stem from that. Clothing is a little geared towards grandpa, so it's hard to find something cute to where after you leave the company. As long as Eddie Bauer can accommodate both gramps and young son, that would be the right direction.

Have fun, don't stress out sales associates.

Team is great. I like the Live your adventure programs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

They value your insights. Culture, People, Benefits are great. Best company to work for.

Cons

It takes time to step up in your career

Quick movement and faced paced selling culture

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

Pros

Love the teams I've worked with. The regional DVP is a great trainer and very committed to the brand and bringing up people from within.

Cons

The company has been transitioning to a heavily focused sales culture. Its not enough to want to help people, you have to produce sales as well as credit. Very aggressive coaching if you aren't making the cut.

People work for people, the longer you let toxic management run stores, the less profitable and stable it will be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great to pretty bad

Pros

the discount is great -the staff is wonderful

Cons

I can't remember enjoying a signal holiday with my family. Working the 12:30 am Black Friday,Christmas eve and every other holiday. Many times I have been told that I have to work while I'm vacation because of lack of staff. This has happened for the past five years now. Store Mgm. is very negative and feels that she is the only one that can sell

Close the doors on holidays so staff can enjoy them. Let us have a whole vacation. Let go of sales goals and all of the other goal. You are setting the bar too high so of course we going to fail. Just remember without you too would have no jobs..

Spend every minute at work if you want to move up

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Nice perks like Pto
    Generous clothing discount.

Cons

No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count. Incentives such as bonuses have gone nearly extinct. All recognition programs have also come to an end unless you like a piece of paper with your name on it that states 'great job' is your idea of recognition.

Listen to your store leaders. They are going to tell you what's really happening in the district

Great for 4.5 years until new manager came along.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Camarillo, CA

Pros

Customers first and foremost. Clothes are great quality and company has a very liberal return policy

Cons

Liberal return policy not always so great. I once had a male customer bring back 4 pairs of jeans which he owned for around 3 years and because they were wearing out he wanted replacements. The store manager allowed him to replace them...Customers take advantage because they threaten to call customer service. Very unethical on customer's end.

Be more considerate and mindful of employees who have worked there a long time as they have a lot to offer. Customers also appreciate the rapport they build with good employees. Good employees with good customer service increases foot traffic and increases sales. I wish managers would understand this.
    People at the top should visit the store more often and not rely solely on District Managers for feedback. Visits form corporate should be more frequent vs. the once a year visits. How can they really know what is going on. DM's are often in cahoots with managers therefore they don't get a true impression of what is going on. In the 4.5 years that I worked there I only met a DM once.

Revolving Door

Current Employee - Designer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Designer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

A place to learn. Some nice perks: great team building trips for the design team. Opportunities to travel overseas on product development trips. The people are the best part, which is the same as any company I have worked for. Most everyone wants to do a good job. Employees are professional, nice and respectful.

Cons

Eddie Bauer corporate is a revolving door. Quite a few people leave without a new job, that speaks volumes. Senior management micro-manages the business. New employees quickly become apathetic because their decisions and work are so often disregarded or changed; soon everyone loses their drive and realizes it is easier to just follow orders. We go through more product changes than any company I have ever worked for. For a company that has been around since 1920 their processes are sorely lacking, resulting in a great deal of inefficiency and frustration.

Turning around the company isn't just about fixing the financials, it's just as important if not more, to fix the culture. Senior management is out of touch regarding how people really think and feel about the company. They say they care about the people but it doesn't feel that way. Swearing and anger from our CEO is is inappropriate and unprofessional in corporate meetings; it sets a very poor example and defeats employees.

Disappointing experience

Pros

The time-off benefits are very good and employees are encouraged to "get outside" during the summer.

Cons

This is a very frustrating place to work if you are interested in an innovative ecommerce environment.

Not the worst.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Lincoln City, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lincoln City, OR

Pros

Company culture. Work/life balance. Decent pay. Career opportunity. Allows you to serve the customer and limit negative interactions.

Cons

Constant sale changes. Unclear direction. Move to as strong selling culture focused heavily on credit. Lot's of stress on store level management. Company goals seem to change frequently.

Pick a direction and stick with it.

For retail, it's great

Current Employee - Sales Guide
    Current Employee - Sales Guide

Pros

The leadership is pretty good, better than most stories that I've heard. I feel secure in my job. It's easy to feel confident about your knowledge of the merchandise, and it's often easy to sell items to people that are really into hiking/camping/active lifestyles. The brand is best defined as being geared toward those with an active lifestyle, usually between ages 30-55.

Cons

The recent shift in focus away from customer service and toward sales goals and getting guests to sign up for the Eddie Bauer credit card makes it less enjoyable to work, and it also alienates customers - it's almost impossible to hit your credit goals. Also, as a part time employee, I often only get 5-11 hours per week due to payroll cuts.

The brand needs an update - the clothing styles are very dated and out of fashion, leading to people walking in the store, looking at clothing, and walking right back out with no purchase. Active lifestyle clothing can be both fashionable and useful - take a look at current trends and try to keep up as times change.

Worked for Eddie Bauer? Contribute to the Community!