Eddie Bauer Reviews

279 reviews filtered by
3.1
Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 9 reviews)

• Meet great people, work in a friendly atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count (in 22 reviews)

• no work life balance, change promo , windows, door signs daily, don't treat everyone the same (in 8 reviews)

1. Sales Floor

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Amazing coworkers and manager. Reallyenjoyed working woth everyone andenjoyed the discount as well.

Cons

Couldn't work there long enough because of college. In addition to college, the specific store location I worked at closed..so I really miss wprking and shopping there.

2. Sad decline over the years...

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

The wages are good in comparison to the competition.

Cons

Poor moral and EVERYONE is very overworked!! Benefits that were in place several years ago are all gone. No training!

The company desperately needs more work-life balance!! The turnover isn't healthy and no one cares.

3. Not a bad place to spend a year or three.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Eddie Bauer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours during holiday/sale seasons and decent pay for a basic retail position. A quite generous employee discount to encourage "branding" of sales associates, coupled with an actual interest in getting products tested in the real world. Management also had a sincere concern for working around student schedules.

Cons

Hours based on "force ranking" which frequently results in more employee metagaming than actual performance evaluation. Promotion from within was fairly rare, with most non-associate positions being filled by new hires. Store hours severely limited, resulting in frequently limited staff on site.

5. Was a great company, heading downhill.

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a great discount on product. Upper management was very supportive about helping me relocate to another Eddie Bauer when I needed to move as well as adjusting my salary to reflect the cost of living increase. I really loved the idea behind "live your adventure" I just wish more sales guides embraced it. I learned a lot about managing a team and how to run a store with this company. I do feel Eddie prepared me to run my own store.

Cons

Everything was marked down so quickly. Customers know this and will not pay full price for anything. There is way too much emphasis on selling credit cards that it takes away from the customer experience. Plus tons of pressure for the management team to be the top sales performers, plus do all the back of house paperwork, transfers, guide ranking, scheduling, ect. I felt we didn't get enough payroll to perform all the floorsets and heavy markdowns effectively and a lot has to be done during store hours. Not to mention our absent DM who did not manage her time well and didn't train our store manager properly.

Please take a look at the District Managers! Because I moved I had the opportunity to see two in action. One was great the other is making everyone miserable. You know something is not working when everyone in a district is quitting their job. Please make sure they are trained and providing proper support to their guides and not leaving it up to tenured staff to do their job!

6. Retail position

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

They seem to promote from within

Cons

High expectations, lack of tools. Product needs to find itself. Target market is confusing.

Provide more tools for success.

7. Really good team atmosphere & I like that they encouraged you go be active.

Current Employee - Sales Guide in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Guide in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They had a really positive team to work with when Dee M. was there! The competitions they held within our stores was so great, it gave you potential to work your stuff and make extra money!

Cons

The atmosphere totally changed when our managers Dee and Olga left and a few employees, including myself, left. The discount on the gear wasn't as great as the clothing (for obvious reasons) but it made it hard to attest to the wear and tear of the tents and such like I did so well with the clothing!

Do greater discounts on the tents and other gear more often like a key item. -This only happened once while I worked there over 1 1/2 years. Consider commissions or upping hourly pay for employees.

8. Good retail job.

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relationships/connections through public contact
    Discount/pro deals
    Time off

Cons

Retail environment
    Difficulty using PTO
    Life balance

9. Company with great history... But that's all in the past.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great products, amazing history of the company, creed and guarantee on all products is amazing however leaves room for people to take advantage. Generous discount for employees

Cons

Very reactive company, consistently changing things in the stores with a lack of payroll to effectively complete the tasks. Way to credit focused for a company that is no longer as accessible in all areas for everyone to use it. Far too much confusion coming from upper management, especially in the Seattle Market with corporate in your back door. Visit's often result in corporate employee's confusing staff vs directives that had come out. Especially in visual placement. Location management has no voice when it comes to such things, often trying to explain ideas with statistics to get quickly shut down.

Listen to your location managers, they are the ones that spend the most amount of time in the specific location. Go back and remember the training you provided staff "Sell the customer everything they want, and nothing that they don't" before repeatedly telling staff to shove credit cards down peoples throats. If they are asked once, and tell the associate no, then obviously they don't NEED the credit card.

10. Eddie Bauer was the most respectful Company I had ever worked for I enjoyed every minute of that company

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

You get the same great respect as if you were a customer only and the discount is great also, and it is a great place to work is management is great and very supportive.

Cons

The location of the store was not in the best spot in the mall parking was in a very dark area at the mall

I feel that management need to be in place when new employees are coming a Board because your regular employees should not have to try to make sure new employees know the ins and outs of the company, so I think that the store manager should be responsible For training its employees and be lead by example’s of its leaders not just regular employees it should be done by a full time employee. There are great opportunities within this company if you're looking for a future and I feel you always get the best from within

11. Payroll

Current Employee - Dayforce in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Dayforce in Groveport, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Love the people there. Great place to work.

Cons

It's slow after peak season.

None