Eddie Bauer

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015

Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 9 reviews)

• Meet great people, work in a friendly atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count (in 22 reviews)

• no work life balance, change promo , windows, door signs daily, don't treat everyone the same (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends on the manager you work for

Current Employee - Sales Guide in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Guide in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Flexible hours, Some bonuses when you make certain goals, relaxed work environment.

Cons

Some difficult sales goals, pressure to purchase the clothing.

I have seen a store flourish when it had a manager who listened to their staff and work to each persons strength, and I have watched a store fail when the manager was to sales focused and pushed the employes to be competitive.

Experience depends on management

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Customer service focus
    Half-decent pay
    Flexible hours (it's retail)

Cons

Too much pressure on store managers to perform (get customers to open credit cards, enroll customers in the "friends" loyalty program, and individual sales goals. I understand the bottom line is important for the company, but when your store employees and managers are stressing about meeting their goals, it creates a tense atmosphere.

If you're going to continue to require sales associates to push for sales, Pay Commission! The associates don't want to hound customers to open an EBCC if there isn't an incentive (aside from a pat on the back).

Customer service call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Great company, they will promote within months,good leadership, and peak benefits are good.

Cons

Its hard to get your full hours if call volume is low, they will send you home.

Spend more time proper training with the right information.

Solid Brand with Mixed Messaging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at Eddie Bauer is, by far, the people. With very few exceptions, everyone I work with is hard working, passionate, determined and a team player. Collaborations within departments are really all about making the product and the brand the best that it can be. Even though we all work long hours, the brightness and positive attitude of the people make most days delightful.

Cons

Eddie Bauer doesn't stand alone in this, but one of the biggest challenges Eddie Bauer needs to overcome is the sheer volume of meetings where middle managers feel the need to add opinions that create more setbacks than successes. Streamlining the process and letting the people who are the professionals in their particular field make the calls would serve everyone well.

Company morale needs a definite adrenaline boost. HR seems to have no idea that continually stripping away some of the perks of working here has taken its toll on the positive outlook associates have about the company.

Management needs to do a better job in creating more positive team morale. A happy workforce is a productive workforce. Folding some of the perks that were taken away after the bankruptcy would be a good place to start. Most people around here don't just want a job, they want a career.

Management does a poor job of promoting from within and recognizing the true value of some of their associates. Frankly, I believe it is because they don't have the time to think about expanding their departments and making them better. There are so many solutions and advancements right under your nose that could accelerate this company forward, but you need to be able to see them and think forward.

Associates want to feel like they are a contributing part of something bigger and in making a difference in helping the company reach its goals. We need to hear about what worked and what failed, we need to have a leadership team that leads and not one that simply gives progress reports. When you truly love the company you work for, inside and out, everything shines. We need to fall in love again, right now, we just think you're kind of okay.

Shipping

Current Employee - Associate in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Groveport, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

They gave us money incentives

Cons

They have us leave when shipments are complete

Change your sorting & packing system to be more efficient

Amazing Experience

I worked at Eddie Bauer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked seasonal help during holidays for extra money. Outstanding company and a great product!

Cons

Worked in a small store so not many openings

Very friendly coworkers and pleasant working environment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Eddie Bauer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- People you work with are very friendly.
    - Fairly good discount on clothing (policy has changed since I left).
    - Flexible scheduling for part-timers.
    - Great brand!

Cons

- Getting a position that provides benefits is very difficult.
    - Hours are not very family-friendly (typical retail schedule).
    - Not a lot of sales technique guidance.
    - Personal issues can overtake professionalism.

Overall, keep doing what you're doing in terms of work environment. Better benefit options are needed for part-timers if you want to keep them long-term. Sales technique training could use some improvement.

Senior Print Buyer

Current Employee - Senior Buyer
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great. The work is good.

Cons

Management is not great and doesn't promote much from with in company.

Typical student job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

timely pay and great discount on everything (including sale items!!)

Cons

Horrible pay and lack of motivation.

Please pay your employees more. No one can survive on that kind of pay.

It's all downhill from here...

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fabulous wardrobe discount
    Incentives/contests based on individual sales or credit card tally
    Great customer base

Cons

Excess amount of sales and promotions
    Horrendous return policy
    Extremely high turnover in the VA/MD district
    Corporate ls very reactive instead of proactive

As soon as new floorset merchandise is received, it will likely be on promotion. Therefore, very few customers will buy something at full price. If an item is full price, the customer will wait it out, because they know the sale will come in just a matter of days. This is already a bad business model. Same goes with "extra percent off clearance." The customer now expects clearance to be an extra discount.

Corporate will make drastic merchandising decisions in just a short time. A new floorset will be completed, and then a "merchandising update" will likely appear in a few days. Sometimes minor changes and sometimes HUGE changes that eat up payroll. The difference in sales due to the update is usually nonexistent. EB as a whole is reactive instead of proactive about their sales/promotions. There is a constant run around, with no payoff in the end.

Lastly, EB is known for their exceptional customer service. However, I have seen all of the following happen... Letting a man return a down winter coat with a hole in it, to which he admitted burning it himself. Letting a woman return a pair of jeans that were so old all of the writing on the tag had worn off. Letting a man return pants over 10 years old because they didn't fit anymore. And the list goes on. There is a way to provide excellent customer service without letting the customer take advantage of you. These returns, at the end of the day, eat into profits.

Eddie Bauer Photos