Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck

Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail)(in 9 reviews)

• Great discounts and generally a great team of close knit co-workers(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be challenging based on demands of the business(in 16 reviews)

• Internal Customer Service has gone to the wayside(in 9 reviews)

Great Working Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEddie Bauer cares about all of their employees. They have a great history and products. I miss working for them.

ConsEddie Bauer had to close stores due to financial reasons. Not sure where the hardships stem from, upper management perhaps?

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on keeping the company alive!

I love this company!!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis company really cares about its employees and customers. They ensure we have quality of life, and give us the proper tools we need to provide legendary customer service every day!

ConsThere never seems to be enough time in the day. I personally enjoy selling too much to balance the office work and my desire to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my job! I enjoy going every day, and I feel the opportunity for personal and professional growth here is endless. Ever since Mike and Geoff came along, I feel much more secure in my job and in my future with Eddie Bauer. They have really turned this ship around!!

Love working at Eddie Bauer!

Corporate Management (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThe people. Intelligent, hardworking, dedicated and awesome people all working together towards a common goal. The product. The company takes pride in designing and developing the best product in the market. The culture. People matter. Opportunities for interesting work and personal development are there if you seek it out.

ConsApparel and speciality retailing industries are naturally chaotic. Eddie Bauer is no different than others in that regard.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the worst.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Lincoln City, OR

ProsCompany culture. Work/life balance. Decent pay. Career opportunity. Allows you to serve the customer and limit negative interactions.

ConsConstant sale changes. Unclear direction. Move to as strong selling culture focused heavily on credit. Lot's of stress on store level management. Company goals seem to change frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick with it.

For retail, it's great

Sales Guide (Current Employee)

ProsThe leadership is pretty good, better than most stories that I've heard. I feel secure in my job. It's easy to feel confident about your knowledge of the merchandise, and it's often easy to sell items to people that are really into hiking/camping/active lifestyles. The brand is best defined as being geared toward those with an active lifestyle, usually between ages 30-55.

ConsThe recent shift in focus away from customer service and toward sales goals and getting guests to sign up for the Eddie Bauer credit card makes it less enjoyable to work, and it also alienates customers - it's almost impossible to hit your credit goals. Also, as a part time employee, I often only get 5-11 hours per week due to payroll cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe brand needs an update - the clothing styles are very dated and out of fashion, leading to people walking in the store, looking at clothing, and walking right back out with no purchase. Active lifestyle clothing can be both fashionable and useful - take a look at current trends and try to keep up as times change.

Wonderful Co-Workers but Corporate is Extremely Out of Touch

Associate Sales Lead (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked with an amazing staff. We really have worked together as a team and I have made some wonderful friendships. The store management is really great, and even with a challenging year, with many lengthy staff illnesses, the staff has completely banded together to ensure the store runs smoothly.

ConsThe company has become very strict on sales goals which takes away from associates focusing on teamwork. In addition, they are pushing credit, which in turn makes the associate become a pushy salesperson. At the time of checkout, associate needs to achieve 3 goals: 1. Making sure the customer has a "friends" card, if they do not they must try their best to sign up. 2. They need to get the customer to sign up for the EB credit card. 3. Get the customer to buy the special purchase item such as a water bottle, ice scraper, or some other gadget item. Customers can be very put off by this and end up leaving the store with a negative impression; not a positive one. For my day job, I work in marketing and social media and know this is not the way to build brand loyalty. Many customers do not want to give out their information, nor do they want to be bombarded with so many questions when they are completing their transaction. What Eddie Bauer should be focused on is good products at better prices than the competition, this is what will keep the customers loyal.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate is out of touch with what the customer wants, such as better prices, better loyalty program perks, and making better quality jeans for women.

Not a bad place to work, for retail

Sales and Visual Associate (Current Employee)

ProsSupplementary healthcare available for part-time workers, great discounts on the clothes, good corporate energy.

ConsThe turnover among management was really high at the 2 stores I worked at, though that was probably due to the personality of the store manager. When the store manager started getting to work consistently late and calling off "sick" several days per month, there was no recourse for the other managers and associates she was affecting. Complaints were made to the regional manager and he refused to look into it. There's pretty high pressure to buy "current" clothes, which I found really cut into the amount I took home. This is a great job if you want a discount on the clothes but don't care about take-home, but it'd be really hard to make a living working here. There are no full-time salespeople except for the top 2 store managers (out of 4).

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more transparent.

Love working here so far

Planning Analyst (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat people. Easy going environment. Able to be in charge of yourself.

ConsHave to pay for parking?

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to value the people below you and remember all the house they put in.

Career builder

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThe people, culture and values
    Career Opportunities - ability to move up in the company
    History and heritage

ConsWork / Life balance, decision making

It has been a great experience. The company is very supportive & helped me grow into bigger responsibilities.

Visual Lead (Current Employee)

ProsThe people there are very nice & approachable. Good training & coaching. The executive visits are a little stressful but have always been a positive experience.

ConsThe company is pretty stingy on hours. Sometimes your hours get cut if its too slow but you still have to get all the work done.

Worked for Eddie Bauer? Contribute to the Community!