Eddie Bauer

Updated March 2, 2015
3.1

Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 9 reviews)

• Meet great people, work in a friendly atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count (in 22 reviews)

• no work life balance, change promo , windows, door signs daily, don't treat everyone the same (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to spend a year or three.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Eddie Bauer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours during holiday/sale seasons and decent pay for a basic retail position. A quite generous employee discount to encourage "branding" of sales associates, coupled with an actual interest in getting products tested in the real world. Management also had a sincere concern for working around student schedules.

Cons

Hours based on "force ranking" which frequently results in more employee metagaming than actual performance evaluation. Promotion from within was fairly rare, with most non-associate positions being filled by new hires. Store hours severely limited, resulting in frequently limited staff on site.

Really good team atmosphere & I like that they encouraged you go be active.

Current Employee - Sales Guide in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Guide in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They had a really positive team to work with when Dee M. was there! The competitions they held within our stores was so great, it gave you potential to work your stuff and make extra money!

Cons

The atmosphere totally changed when our managers Dee and Olga left and a few employees, including myself, left. The discount on the gear wasn't as great as the clothing (for obvious reasons) but it made it hard to attest to the wear and tear of the tents and such like I did so well with the clothing!

Do greater discounts on the tents and other gear more often like a key item. -This only happened once while I worked there over 1 1/2 years. Consider commissions or upping hourly pay for employees.

Good retail job.

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relationships/connections through public contact
    Discount/pro deals
    Time off

Cons

Retail environment
    Difficulty using PTO
    Life balance

Eddie Bauer was the most respectful Company I had ever worked for I enjoyed every minute of that company

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

You get the same great respect as if you were a customer only and the discount is great also, and it is a great place to work is management is great and very supportive.

Cons

The location of the store was not in the best spot in the mall parking was in a very dark area at the mall

I feel that management need to be in place when new employees are coming a Board because your regular employees should not have to try to make sure new employees know the ins and outs of the company, so I think that the store manager should be responsible For training its employees and be lead by example’s of its leaders not just regular employees it should be done by a full time employee. There are great opportunities within this company if you're looking for a future and I feel you always get the best from within

Payroll

Current Employee - Dayforce in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Dayforce in Groveport, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Love the people there. Great place to work.

Cons

It's slow after peak season.

None

Customer service call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Great company, they will promote within months,good leadership, and peak benefits are good.

Cons

Its hard to get your full hours if call volume is low, they will send you home.

Spend more time proper training with the right information.

Depends on the manager you work for

Current Employee - Sales Guide in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Guide in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Flexible hours, Some bonuses when you make certain goals, relaxed work environment.

Cons

Some difficult sales goals, pressure to purchase the clothing.

I have seen a store flourish when it had a manager who listened to their staff and work to each persons strength, and I have watched a store fail when the manager was to sales focused and pushed the employes to be competitive.

Experience depends on management

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Customer service focus
    Half-decent pay
    Flexible hours (it's retail)

Cons

Too much pressure on store managers to perform (get customers to open credit cards, enroll customers in the "friends" loyalty program, and individual sales goals. I understand the bottom line is important for the company, but when your store employees and managers are stressing about meeting their goals, it creates a tense atmosphere.

If you're going to continue to require sales associates to push for sales, Pay Commission! The associates don't want to hound customers to open an EBCC if there isn't an incentive (aside from a pat on the back).

Solid Brand with Mixed Messaging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at Eddie Bauer is, by far, the people. With very few exceptions, everyone I work with is hard working, passionate, determined and a team player. Collaborations within departments are really all about making the product and the brand the best that it can be. Even though we all work long hours, the brightness and positive attitude of the people make most days delightful.

Cons

Eddie Bauer doesn't stand alone in this, but one of the biggest challenges Eddie Bauer needs to overcome is the sheer volume of meetings where middle managers feel the need to add opinions that create more setbacks than successes. Streamlining the process and letting the people who are the professionals in their particular field make the calls would serve everyone well.

Company morale needs a definite adrenaline boost. HR seems to have no idea that continually stripping away some of the perks of working here has taken its toll on the positive outlook associates have about the company.

Management needs to do a better job in creating more positive team morale. A happy workforce is a productive workforce. Folding some of the perks that were taken away after the bankruptcy would be a good place to start. Most people around here don't just want a job, they want a career.

Management does a poor job of promoting from within and recognizing the true value of some of their associates. Frankly, I believe it is because they don't have the time to think about expanding their departments and making them better. There are so many solutions and advancements right under your nose that could accelerate this company forward, but you need to be able to see them and think forward.

Associates want to feel like they are a contributing part of something bigger and in making a difference in helping the company reach its goals. We need to hear about what worked and what failed, we need to have a leadership team that leads and not one that simply gives progress reports. When you truly love the company you work for, inside and out, everything shines. We need to fall in love again, right now, we just think you're kind of okay.

Shipping

Current Employee - Associate in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Groveport, OH

I have been working at Eddie Bauer

Pros

They gave us money incentives

Cons

They have us leave when shipments are complete

Change your sorting & packing system to be more efficient

Eddie Bauer Photos