Eddie Bauer Reviews

Reset
2.9
Eddie Bauer President & CEO Michael Egeck
Michael Egeck

Pros
  • Good work-life balance (except around holidays: retail) (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly customers that are very loyal and I got to meet some great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Deterioration of work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• No work- life balance unless working every holiday and weekend count (in 8 reviews)

1. Was a great company, now going down hill.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a great discount on product. Upper management was very supportive about helping me relocate to another Eddie Bauer when I needed to move as well as adjusting my salary to reflect the cost of living increase. I really loved the idea behind "live your adventure" I just wish more sales guides embraced it. I learned a lot about managing a team and how to run a store with this company. I do feel Eddie prepared me to run my own store. The full time benefits are nice and HR is really easy to work with.

Cons

Everything was marked down so quickly, I have no idea how they are making any money! Customers know this and will not pay full price for anything. There is way too much emphasis on selling credit cards that it takes away from the customer experience. Plus tons of pressure for the management team to be the top sales performers, as well as do all the back of house paperwork, transfers, guide ranking, scheduling, ect. I felt we didn't get enough payroll to perform all the floorsets and heavy markdowns effectively and a lot has to be done during store hours which can effect the customer experience. Not to mention our absent DM who did not manage her time well and didn't train our store manager properly. She was supposed to spend a week with her and barely spent two days training her. Then looked to me to do her job and finish training (because I was already running the store and was passed over for the promotion) Not to mention this was right before the holiday season started.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at the District Managers! Because I moved I had the opportunity to see two in action. One was great the other is making everyone miserable. You know something is not working when everyone in a district is quitting their job. Please make sure they are trained and providing proper support to their guides and not leaving it up to tenured staff to do their job!

2. Great service philosophy. High expectations for managers.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous employee discount.
    Good compensation for experience level.
    Company has strong connection to the outdoor industry.
    If you have a passion for the out doors and service company is an ideal match.

Cons

Maintaining a work life balance with young children is nearly impossible for me with a longer commute to work.
    As with all retailers, payroll is tight requiring managers to come in later in morning and stay later at night.

3. Product Design and Development cycle is rough

Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Eddie Bauer (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient downtown location, many different product categories from footwear, knits, sweaters, wovens, and outerwear.

Cons

Zero corporate culture, zero interaction between floors or groups if you are not on the same cross-functional team. Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Product is constantly changing in new directions trying to figure out the market.

Advice to Management

Sit in on some team meetings and see how the culture really is on the ground in working groups.

5. Product Developer

Current Employee - Associate Product Developer - Women's Knits
    Current Employee - Associate Product Developer - Women's Knits

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual environment with an open door policy and supporting management.

Cons

Product development process can be fine tuned more.

Not a place to grow your career

Former Employee - Co Manager
    Former Employee - Co Manager

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

It was exciting to open a brand new store. My team with the exception of a few were amazing.

Cons

Expectations from above were unrealistic. Development of management is non existent especially when a new store opens. A team comes and helps out and then your are left to figure it out on your own while being held accountable when they leave. We had one week to get our entire staff hired and trained. If you had to work overnights for the floor sets your SPH was shot. You get wrote up for ridiculous things, if the entire management team gets wrote up, that's a training issue. Return policy or lack thereof was insane, we take back anything and everything even if it's 15 years old.

Advice to Management

Support your management! Better training especially for new stores that are opening. Better technology to make processes easier!

7. Work Horse

I have been working at Eddie Bauer full-time

Pros

Right now there are very few. This use to be a good company to work for but in the last few months everything has changed.

Cons

The workload has tripled due to the over reacting of upper management as well as redoing work because of a lack of communication between departments at corporate. We are constantly changing prices, moving product, changing the windows only to go back a reset everything in 4-5 days (sometimes sooner).

Advice to Management

Think things through and communicate with each other

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Eddie Bauer (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art products.

Cons

Politics and inner workings are to be avoided.

Advice to Management

Monetary rewards are helpful.

Need to rethink management expectations

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Eddie Bauer (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts, great products. Fun customers.

Cons

Too much inphases on manager's individual sales and not sales team development. We are making our sales people ring all of their sales on our number to ensure we meet the $200 sph goals. Then expected to coach their poor sales performances. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Need to let managers manage and develope teams instead of focussing on our selfs

10. Ok Place

I have been working at Eddie Bauer part-time

Pros

Discount on the clothes

Cons

Pressures of getting customers to open an Eddie Bauer credit card

11. Not recommended

I worked at Eddie Bauer

Pros

Flexible work schedule and decent benefits. Location not ideal during holiday season as it is next to a very busy shopping mall.

Cons

Several departments very poorly managed. Turnover in upper management and at all levels has been higher than average over the past 6 - 7 years.

RSS Feed </> Embed