Edelman Reviews

• Atlanta, GA Area
3.9
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

What an amazing place to work

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people, the global network, the firm's reputation, the benefits...the list goes on. As a junior employee, there is a lot of opportunity for growth and you have the chance to experience many different things and move up the ladder quickly.

Cons

You will work a lot, no doubt about that. Salary is a little low but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

2. Good company, as long as you don't work for health

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Disclaimer: I'm reviewing the atlanta health team, specifically, because I think every employee's experience is dependent on which team and office work in. This team is pretty different from the others.

Pros are the comfortable working environment (the physical setup of the office) and friendly team members. For the most part, the people on the atlanta health team are genuinely nice and enjoyable.

On Edelman as a whole, the company has good benefits and flexibility in career opportunities. A lot of employees have been able to take their careers to different roles, practices or locations, which is a pretty nice option to have. There are other nice perks like the fellowship program that sends employees on assignments abroad, the mentor program, and volunteer opportunities with the office.

Cons

Where to begin... Anyone who has had a pulse on the Atlanta PR industry, specially the health side, over recent years has heard about this team's reputation for terrible leadership and turnover. Well guess what? Things seem to have gotten worse. While the turnover has been relatively low, leadership has taken a turn for the worse and the employees across the office who have been there a while will be the first to let you know. Current leadership cannot manage or adequately support a practice... and putting the employees aside for a second, the clients have been aware that there's something amiss with the quality they're getting as a result. The team's leadership seems to be unengaged and avoidant when it comes to facing the work that needs to be done and the issues that need tending to (like inadequate staffing support, unhappy or soon-to-be unhappy clients, broken communication cascade, performance problems, etc.)... often times, the leadership is nowhere to be found. But in the times leadership has been present, they've managed to build a reputation for being combative and overly emotional in response to team members' concerns or efforts to flag and address issues proactively... and it's really damaged a lot of internal relationships as a result.

It's a shame because Edelman is a good company, yet this practice goes largely neglected and ignored by leadership - starting at the practice leadership level and on upward. For some reason, no one ever cares to check in on this team. As long as our numbers pass the sniff test, then that's all that seems to matter.

To Edelman regional and global health leadership: pay attention to the people working on this team and hear them out. Not just the group head. If you ever did some digging to check on the welfare of people working on this team, and why clients have largely turned over or are close to doing so, you'd find out how miserable, unsupported and unappreciated they all feel. There is a serious problem here. And you'd be loaf to find single person on this team who is happy.

Where is the commitment to good leadership and talent cultivation? Please find out and fix this before you completely alienate a group of people with established and potential talent. Please find a management solution for the team that is present physically and mentally... and is dedicated to supporting and motivating the team so they can produce good work that's worth being proud of. Edelman is so much better than this.

3. Did a great job branding itself

Current Employee - AAE in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - AAE in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Great client roster. Lots of booze. Nice benefits. Smart, fun people.

Cons

Will only promote you during two periods a year. If you're hired the DAY before this period, you missed the boat and they won't consider you until you've reached a full "term" and the time limit. Extremely draconian in promotions. Salaries are below local averages. If you say you ARE the best, you should pay like the best. Bonuses and promotions not given after management promises them to employees.

Keep your promises. Change promotion timelines to be more merit based. Stop playing favorites among employees. Don't make direct reports feel bad for taking sick days. Fairly extend telecommute options to everyone who is salaried.

5. Great environment, great people, great opportunities

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

opportunities for growth, company values, positive environment, encouraging upper management, interesting work

Cons

Compensation could be better for top preformers on lower levels

6. Professional fulfilling and extremely educational

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance encouraged, amazing employees, encouraging culture, great overall company

Cons

The on-boarding process could be improved

Don't lose sight of the entire employee scope -- from intern to VP, we all contribute massively.

7. Blazing a trail for the future

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented workforce. This company gets it, sees where the industry is going. Ability to meld social/traditional/digital/measurement = best-in-class. Unlimited ambition, which can be infectious (in a good way). Diversity of coworkers makes every day an adventure.

Cons

Divergence of traditional and digital mediums is both a blessing and a curse, but the savvy of our department heads stack the deck in Edelman's favor.

Continue respecting the talent and vision our junior staff embodies. They will be the leadership, soon enough.

8. You can expect the best when you work for the best.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the coolest things about Edelman is the way it has adapted a very collaborative culture recently. The new structure for accounts encourages a ton of interaction between offices and especially between office practices, which I find both fascinating and helpful for growth and experience. They genuinely care about their employee culture, so whether you have an offsite meeting at a national museum or everybody joins in to do a community clean-up, there's a very familial spirit to Edelman. We do "spirit days," have a beer/drink cart that rolls around every week, have out-of-office parties and always recognize quality work. They truly believe in a great work/life balance. Richard Edelman himself constantly espouses for a healthy work/life balance, so it's a very integral part of the Edelman company culture. I think it's important to note that we do a lot of smiling at Edelman. It's great to work for the #1 PR firm in the world, but it's also really great when everybody else enjoys it as much as you do.

Cons

Whenever I've had an issue at Edelman, I've been able to talk through it with somebody higher up and either come to a resolution, so I really don't have any big "cons" since the company has been so responsive to concerns and issues that arise. I think my only issue would be that the review process needs to be revisited with a critical eye. Though, on paper, reviews, advancements and compensation adjustments take place twice a year, they really only happens once a year with the turn of the fiscal. Most other firms review fluidly or at least four times a year and I think quarterly reviews would be a great adjustment.

Wonderful people, wonderful work, wonderful experience thus far.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Consistently challenged, but supported. Compensation is above average, and the company culture is amazing.

Cons

As with any corporate job, politics do come into play, but not enough to interfere with day-to-day work.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Great company, environment; endless opportunities

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work with the best people, great benefits, always opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Hiring or transferring process is cumbersome

Edelman is a company that values not only its client relationships but also its employees.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Edelman values its employees and looks to retain top talent by offering excellent benefits and investing in employees. Edelman's work culture is phenomenal and even though there are 67 different offices, every time I go to a new office, its cool to see that the people are the same in each office.

Cons

As is agency style, sometimes you will work long hours, but there is no company I'd rather work for.

Give the junior employees as much responsibility as you can.