Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted"
    in 107 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 88 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for and great people to work with!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsMy colleagues are all smart and dedicated to their work and the energy is contagious. Leadership genuinely cares about the employees.

ConsYou work on the demands of clients, so work loads can vary dramatically

Great culture! As with any employer, there's room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- The opportunity to work with amazing clients who highly respect Edelman
    - Great company-wide client work overall. Everyone at the company is high performing and successful.
    - Great internal resources to address any and every client need possible. Clients love Edelman!
    - Great culture, friendly people, and great worldwide networking opportunities
    - Great benefits overall (PTO on your birthday, pet adoption stipend, generous holiday schedule, great health insurance coverage, etc.)
    - For an agency environment, Edelman is very friendly to career-driven individuals who want to start a family or have a family
    - Great place for women in leadership positions
    - The company is starting to compete more with ad agencies, integrated marketing agencies, etc.

Cons- Account team members often get "stuck" on one account because an account may require 100% of an employee's time; as a result, career growth can become stagnant
    - Junior employees are underpaid (but that is also the case at most agencies)
    - Because of the size of the company, great talent is overlooked and amazing people get passed up for promotion far too often. The promotion cycle is political and hurts morale.
    - Lack of office and meeting room space can make it challenging to be productive
    - Though Edelman is independent, it is still highly profit-driven, and I did sometimes sense that senior management was more concerned about profit than employee happiness

Advice to Senior ManagementThe industry standard is to pay junior talent a certain amount, which is pretty low, especially for the San Francisco market. I think Edelman could break this cycle and give junior workers a more generous salary, especially considering its financial health. This would relieve the pressure during the promotion cycle.

Great place to work and grow a career in communications consulting

ProsLots of opportunity - for growth, great client programs and great client brands
    Strong teams and talent

ConsNot necessarily a con - but it's a fast-paced environment with high expectations from clients and teams.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and quite a learning experience.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are smart and strategic assets to the company who hold remarkable relationships with their clients. Just the same, clients treat Edelman like a strategic partner vs. just an agency, which is a testament to the work we can do.

ConsI've seen several teams in the past few months lose team members who aren't being replaced, meaning across the board many have an even heavier workload. There are definitely employee gaps that need to be filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees where and when needed. On top of this, there needs to be improved compensation for top performers.

Wonderful people, wonderful work, wonderful experience thus far.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsConsistently challenged, but supported. Compensation is above average, and the company culture is amazing.

ConsAs with any corporate job, politics do come into play, but not enough to interfere with day-to-day work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing!

Best of the Best

Vice President (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI have been employed at several well-known NYC agencies over the course of a long career, and Edelman is by far the best place I have ever worked. The "E" in Edelman stands for excellence. It is impossible to overrate the importance of the firm's independence and the outstanding leadership and commitment of the Edelman family. The firm is loaded with smart, creative people, who are challenged everyday to grow, learn, and give back. Hard work IS rewarded here.

ConsAfter experiencing other typical NYC agency environments, ranging from tolerable to unbearable, I truly can't think of any "cons" that amount to anything.

Big Talent Big Ideas

EVP (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWickedly talented and smart colleagues. Creative risk takers who think differently to solve client needs. Collegial, fun, casual. Great community. As a private company the firm invests in takent and stays ahead of the tech curve.

ConsNothing substantive. Growing fast and need more office space asap. Preferably in our amazing building.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrab more office space in the building. Improve the cafe! Keep hiring great talent.

great company

New York, NY

Prosprivate ownership, great work-life balance, great career opportunities for hard workers

ConsThere aren't many negatives. In some cases the leadership isnt as strong as it could be, but I am overall very pleased.

Advice to Senior Managementembrace telecommuters

Edelman is a great place to work. Smart and creative company.

Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits and I love my co-workers.

Conslong hours when deadlines are due

Advice to Senior Managementkeep employees informed of what direction the company is going

The only agency I will ever work for.

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsUnlike other agencies that say they support work-life balance and value their employees as their top asset, Edelman actually does both of these things in practice. Through the actions of middle to senior management, you are truly made to feel valued and appreciated. Opportunities are everywhere and the culture is laid back and fun.

ConsWhile there is far less pressure on utilization than other agencies, making for a more relaxed environment (that's not to say we don't work super hard to achieve successes), but the salary compensation does seem lower than market competitors in the area. However, with the environment and culture, PTO and benefits, it balances out.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 840 reviews posted anonymously by Edelman employees.