Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 50 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 109 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 89 reviews)

Great company to work for and great people to work with!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMy colleagues are all smart and dedicated to their work and the energy is contagious. Leadership genuinely cares about the employees.

ConsYou work on the demands of clients, so work loads can vary dramatically

Great culture! As with any employer, there's room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- The opportunity to work with amazing clients who highly respect Edelman
    - Great company-wide client work overall. Everyone at the company is high performing and successful.
    - Great internal resources to address any and every client need possible. Clients love Edelman!
    - Great culture, friendly people, and great worldwide networking opportunities
    - Great benefits overall (PTO on your birthday, pet adoption stipend, generous holiday schedule, great health insurance coverage, etc.)
    - For an agency environment, Edelman is very friendly to career-driven individuals who want to start a family or have a family
    - Great place for women in leadership positions
    - The company is starting to compete more with ad agencies, integrated marketing agencies, etc.

Cons- Account team members often get "stuck" on one account because an account may require 100% of an employee's time; as a result, career growth can become stagnant
    - Junior employees are underpaid (but that is also the case at most agencies)
    - Because of the size of the company, great talent is overlooked and amazing people get passed up for promotion far too often. The promotion cycle is political and hurts morale.
    - Lack of office and meeting room space can make it challenging to be productive
    - Though Edelman is independent, it is still highly profit-driven, and I did sometimes sense that senior management was more concerned about profit than employee happiness

Advice to Senior ManagementThe industry standard is to pay junior talent a certain amount, which is pretty low, especially for the San Francisco market. I think Edelman could break this cycle and give junior workers a more generous salary, especially considering its financial health. This would relieve the pressure during the promotion cycle.

Great place to work and grow a career in communications consulting

ProsLots of opportunity - for growth, great client programs and great client brands
    Strong teams and talent

ConsNot necessarily a con - but it's a fast-paced environment with high expectations from clients and teams.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a highschool click

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUpper management seems to try not to lay people off during tough times, but cuts every nicety and perk to do so, which makes it almost not worth staying.

ConsThe company is filled with little clicks and if you don't fall into one you'll probably never get more than the minimum raise or a promotion after years of work. Long hours are expected and never rewarded, in fact I pulled an all-nighter more times than I care to admit and never got so much as a comp day to make up for it. If you're a technologist stay far away from this place because everything is outsourced and you're just there to fix the messes they make.

Don't be fooled by all these reviews--they're fake, look at the dates.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEdelman has great name recognition and big name clients.

ConsEdelman tends to rest on its long standing reputation and sheer global size, not innovative work. Similar to other conglomerates, billable hours are valued over new creative ideas for clients.

4 years at the company

Senior Account Supervisor (Current Employee)

Prosgreat work culture, amazing opportunities

Consnot consistent talent between offices

Meh

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat name, prestige, you will learn a lot about PR and the industry that you can use throughout your career. There are a lot of ways to get involved and learn more. Good benefits too.

ConsTime management, company has a problem practicing what it preaches and can make it difficult to trust what they say. There is a disconnect between what the senior people think Edelman and the Edelman work experience is and what it actually is. Not a good place for working mothers unless you're at a high enough level. Does not value quieter, thoughful approaches so not a place for introverts.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to force everyone to be the Edelman ideal and actually focus on people's strengths. Practice what your preach. Respect people's home lives (for real, not just lip service). Value loyalty and the people who aren't agency-hopping a little more.

AAE

ProsAs with any large company, you have access to a lot more resources. You are also able to work on a wide variety of big brand name clients. A solid resume builder.

ConsYou work long hours and are not compensated well. Benefits are good, the people are solid, but the salary is low.

Great people and quite a learning experience.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are smart and strategic assets to the company who hold remarkable relationships with their clients. Just the same, clients treat Edelman like a strategic partner vs. just an agency, which is a testament to the work we can do.

ConsI've seen several teams in the past few months lose team members who aren't being replaced, meaning across the board many have an even heavier workload. There are definitely employee gaps that need to be filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees where and when needed. On top of this, there needs to be improved compensation for top performers.

Wonderful people, wonderful work, wonderful experience thus far.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsConsistently challenged, but supported. Compensation is above average, and the company culture is amazing.

ConsAs with any corporate job, politics do come into play, but not enough to interfere with day-to-day work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing!

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!