Edelman

Updated November 11, 2014
4.4

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

All companies have issues, Edelman just has less than everyone else

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership vision and values are wonderful. Creativity and forward thinking is encouraged. Edelman strives to stay ahead of the curve through its PR roots. Great avenues around career development.

Cons

Lower on the pay scale compared to comparable companies and job descriptions. Local leadership is not in tune with Global leadership. There is fragmentation between offices (we sometimes don't work as one Edelman).

Keep up the great work. Would like to see a bit more focus on smaller offices, and how we can grow them.

Challenging but lacks professionalism and clear focus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, variety of client work. Smart and creative people not only existed within the larger offices, but also in the smaller regional ones. Colleagues work harder and longer than any other industry. Great company to prove and challenge yourself.

Cons

Lack of professionalism within the office which affected culture, morale, and employee tenure. Compensation was below market average. Although there was flexibility, there was an overload of work that demanded overtime. Leadership waffled on focus and clear direction which was unfortunately driven from higher management.

Head Leadership must carry the torch and lead in a positive, professional direction without being swayed by other leadership influences or direct reports. Treat colleagues who are hardworking, trustworthy and accountable with respect and appreciation. Believe in your people. Stay on one path, no waffling.

Great Opportunities

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent people, great culture, great clients. Younger employees have access to senior leaders, a lot of room for young employees to grow. Excellent benefits. Managers are receptive to suggestions and input from lower-level employees.

Cons

High turnover, average compensation. Certain people can be confrontational or political, but its business so that is very normal.

Don't forget about your smaller offices!

Pretty Good!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Upbeat company culture, senior staff will invest time and resources in you, hard work is recognized and usually rewarded, great brands to work on and sharpen your PR skills

Cons

40+ hour work weeks are more often the rule than the exception. even if your plate is full it's not unusual to have more work added.

New client work is always welcome, but acknowledge when someone is already spread too thin especially when they communicate it. And when you say extra help is on it way, please actually deliver on that.

Passion, Smarts and Extraordinary Commitment

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm consistently floored by the truly top-notch thinking and results delivered by my colleagues not only in Dallas, but throughout the Edelman network. We share a sense of constructive dissatisfaction, a drive to stretch further and do better - as a result, our work is second to none.

Edelman is home to some of the smartest and nicest PR practitioners in the business. I love that we have a unique culture, and I genuinely trust our leadership. On top of it all, I actually have fun working at Edelman, and laugh more times than I can count in any given day.

Cons

We work incredibly hard, and as a bunch, we have incredibly high expectations. Sometimes that can translate into long days and a fair amount of constructive criticism. To be fair, Edelman isn't for everyone; if you aren't committed and your skills aren't top-notch (writing, time management, etc.), you won't fit in.

Continue to focus on growth, while being judicious about hiring for cultural fit.

My fabulous experience at Edelman

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, casual dress, awesome clients, amazing co-workers, reputable agency, leading agency, one of the best

Cons

Very large network can sometimes lead to disconnected offices

Keep plugging away

Engaging and Delightful

Current Employee - Vice President Digital in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The resources of a large company however keeping the family way of running the business

Cons

Growth in the area of Digital can seem a bit hectic and scattered however, I believe it is part of growth

Don't forget that digital is not just in NY, West Coast and Chicago :)

Overall a great place to be...most of the time

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, incredible knowledge sharing and education, wonderful reputation

Cons

some offices have trouble providing promotions and salary increases

Focus more on your team members and less on the $$ when needed

Best way to grow as a PR professional and become a master of the trade

Current Intern - Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Trainee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I love the direction, encouragement and work ethic of the team I am working on along with the office as a whole. My colleagues truly care about my professional development, project efficiency and success. Everyone at the office continuously makes me feel welcome, and the atmosphere of the office is a perfect setting for me to work at my best. Everyone always encourages healthy work/life balance.

Cons

I do not have any cons!

I do not have any advice. I am thoroughly enjoying my summer at Edelman. I am receiving excellent advice, direction and insights. This experience is not only teaching me more about the field of public relations and communications, but also, I am becoming a better strategic thinker and "team player."

Lots of opportunity for growth, but politics is a big pain here.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Provides lots of avenues to explore your career, easy to move around within the company, and provides employees with consistent learning opportunities to perfect what we do.

Cons

Politics determine your title more than merit does. If you know the right people, your career will go far. If you are just good at what you do, you may get overlooked.

The leader of the office dictates the office culture -- be the kind of person who inspires creativity and promotes diversity.