Edelman Reviews

Reset
4.4
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Work life balance is good as well (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

Do Not Work at Edelman if You Want to be Creative

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing I enjoyed about my time at Edelman were the big brands I worked with. I also enjoyed the occasional free food and the company's extremely concerted effort to partake in charity. I suppose the Edelman name carries some weight as well when you inevitably decide to leave.

Cons

I was under the impression that people get into PR to be creative. However, that certainly is not the case at Edelman. Edelman overworks its employees so much that there is no time for creativity because there is always another report that needs to be finished. There is no room for unique ideas, you just do whatever the client tells you to do. Working for Edelman is like being a cog in the system. You rarely feel like you contribute much at all except to keep the machine running. I also know that this was the case for upper management as I will outline in the next section. Edelman's room for upward mobility is also terrible. Edelman only promotes people at specific times of the year and will not promote you to the next title until you have fulfilled the yearly requirements to make the jump even if you deserve it. Most of these jumps in pay and title can take years. Finally, the hours were crazy. No one left their desk for lunch because Edelman has an environment that makes you feel like you must always be working. And do not expect to leave the office before sundown ever. At least they paid interns overtime.

Advice to Management

My managers were terrible at managing down. They were always so swamped with all the work their clients had piling up that they could not delegate anything to me. I was at times treated like I was bothering them when reaching out for more work. My advice to management would be to lower everyone's work load because it makes for an awful environment to work in.

2. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and inspiring environment Great company culture and values Great place to continue growing as an individual and professional within PR A lot of resources and insights Offers a huge network Roster of clients is impressive Creative thinking is key They welcome all and any ideas during a brainstorm Fun and smart people to call colleagues Job security

Cons

Entry level positions are paid extremely low no work/life balance Politics plays a big part in certain offices Merit does not go a log way Talking to HR about issues with supervisors does absolutely nothing They do not care to promote or raise pay significantly until you have a new offer on the table

Advice to Management

Take care of junior teams. They are the front line executing ideas and working the long hours too.

Smart people and fun, engaging work

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman as an intern

Pros

Edelman has an awesome culture and senior leadership is very approachable. As an intern, you will rarely get busy work, most of what you do utilizes and develops skills that will be valuable at Edelman and beyond. If you express interest in a certain account or project, management will help to work you in. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

Edelman is a huge company, and it takes some getting used to. The billing system is a pain.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Evolving

Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and deeply committed staff. Digital practice group is highly creative, and recently added strong new creative talent.

Cons

Can be siloed and cliquish, not just in the office but throughout the region. Collaboration happens, but not as seamlessly as it should.

6. Large Firm with Start-Up Vibe

Current Employee - Leadership in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Leadership in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid leadership with the open playground to invent and re-invent new ways to build great programs for clients.

Cons

Agency life can be demanding of time outside of work.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing folks to take risks.

7. Surreal, I still can't believe I work for such an amazing firm!

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my second week on the job, but it has been nothing short of what I expected. Amazing, smart people work here. The building is beautiful, has some of the best views of dtla and surrounding areas. A lot office perks, such as Starbucks coffee machines, cereal bar, snacks, fruit, and paid parking. Again, I haven't been here long, but I can tell that everything I have heard is real and true! Can't wait to become a tenured employee.

Cons

None that I can think of as of yet. Like many other reviews the only thing I can think of is the work life balance, but with everything that they offer this is not even an issue.

Advice to Management

You rock! Keep doing what you do for your employees. Know that everyone here is happy and feels blessed to work here.

8. Top agency, best talent, becoming a creative shop, what else could you ask for?

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of clients and I often utilize the broad network of experts you simply can't find at any other agency. We are making strides to become the lead marketing agency. The fellows program allows junior team members to transfer to international offices for one year, an amazing benefit of the agency.

Cons

Over the past few years the agency has become much more political internally within the senior leadership team. In the rare event there is a bad hire, we have historically been slow to correct the situation. Better integration across other office team is needed, especially at the practice level.

Advice to Management

Many teams have become top heavy and we must recruit quality junior staff to support our clients. Our EdelU program seems to have stalled out, invest and have a greater emphasis on our continuing education. The MIP program is too confusing and does not reflect the senior teams investment into the business, this needs to be restructured.

9. Be Challenged at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really intelligent, entrepreneurial and fun company culture. Edelman has incredibly strong upper management and overall great management structure that fosters a really innovative, hard-working, and focused work environment. The company is full of brilliant, cultured and bright individuals who motivate those around them daily.

Cons

As can be the case anywhere within the field of PR, there are periods of long working hours, but there is definitely a good balance, and reward for your work.

10. Edelman review

Current Employee - Vice President, Consumer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Consumer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- smart people - top clients - broad expertise - leading edge of PR biz

Cons

lack of work life balance takes a long time for advancement at higher levels low salary compared to other agencies

Advice to Management

make compensation more competitive

11. An Incredible Company

Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Abundance of creativity; employees are dedicated to producing high-quality work; professional and friendly work environment; strong corporate values; David Edelman (enough said); strong emphasis on diversity and inclusion; competitive salary and benefits; supportive HR department; blue chip clients; work/life balance; beautiful office.

Cons

I truly can't think of any. Edelman is top-notch.

Advice to Management

Continue being great managers.

Showing 53 of 1,133 reviews