Edelman Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated August 27, 2014

4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

137 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Edelman Digital Internship

Current Employee - Digital Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

During the ten weeks I spent at Edelman NY as a digital intern I learned what it was like to be a part of big agency life. From the beginning, it was clear that every full-time employ on the digital floor was extremely supportive of the internship program. My manager and the members on my teams were open to questions, willing to share valuable lessons from their own experiences within the agency, and most importantly they were all trusting enough in my abilities to give me real responsibilities. During my time as an intern at Edelman Digital I was made to feel like a true member of all of my teams.

Cons

The program was extremely well run. If you are willing to work hard, ask questions, and take risks by putting yourself out there, an internship and Edelman Digital will be an invaluable experience.

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people you work with are great (emphasis on 'most'). Good benefits, vacation time and a beautiful office. Plenty of social events. Great client list and recognition of the Edelman name.

Cons

Bureaucratic, family run popularity contest. I'm not sure I understand all the positive reviews after having worked there for 2+ years. Exceptions to various rules are the norm- it's all about who you know, how long you've been there, and how much dirt you have on various sketchy situations that keeps you in control. Junior staff are disposable and they salaries are not competitive.

Pay attention to the people who are actually doing the work, not the figureheads who are practically furniture they've been there for so long.

Great people

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I have developed so many great skills in the short time I have been working here. The name definitely carries great status and reputation. The people I work with bring so much to the table on a daily basis.

Cons

The quality of work should be more recognized. Billing is way too important.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Simply the Best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Independence means freedom from the financial pressures put on agencies in holding companies; Richard Edelman's game-changing leadership; you will go to work each day surrounded by the smartest people in the industry, at all levels.

Cons

The pace and size will not be for everyone. It is big, fast and extremely smart -- you have to be on your toes at all times.

Keep setting the bar high and pushing the industry forward.

Fantastic to work for

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn many skills, provided challenges and career growth opportunities, very social, made wonderful friends

Cons

Long hours, great if you are single but a challenge if you are in a relationship or wanting a family

Help junior and senior members find a way to achieve true work-life balance (work one day a week from home or build up staff on teams)

Fabulous opportunities--with high expectations

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Incredible work. Challenging client assignments and the resources to the the best work possible. People are very talented and many make great mentors, especially for mid & senior career. For people who fit the culture, the "entrepreneurial spirit" is real. The firm provides resources necessary to make good ideas happen.

Cons

Need to set your own boundaries because the firm will always push for better work. Some of the internal financial structure can make collaboration difficult, but individual relationships always trump the official policies.

Prepare to work.. really...really.. really hard

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great experience to put on a resume, benefits and big corporate benefits

Cons

It's an incredibly competitive place (at least the health department) these are all very hard working overworked people who may not have time to train you properly.

focus on encouraging and inspiring your employees

Great place to build your resume, learn and launch your career

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good culture, friendly and helpful people, well-known big name clients and a lot of opportunities to do some really cool projects

Cons

Workers can be very clique-y, office matters can become political, lack of diversity in terms of employees

Keep doing what your doing, make sure to keep recognizing and rewarding the accomplishments of junior staff.

Best of the Best

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been employed at several well-known NYC agencies over the course of a long career, and Edelman is by far the best place I have ever worked. The "E" in Edelman stands for excellence. It is impossible to overrate the importance of the firm's independence and the outstanding leadership and commitment of the Edelman family. The firm is loaded with smart, creative people, who are challenged everyday to grow, learn, and give back. Hard work IS rewarded here.

Cons

After experiencing other typical NYC agency environments, ranging from tolerable to unbearable, I truly can't think of any "cons" that amount to anything.

Big Talent Big Ideas

Current Employee - EVP  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - EVP in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Wickedly talented and smart colleagues. Creative risk takers who think differently to solve client needs. Collegial, fun, casual. Great community. As a private company the firm invests in takent and stays ahead of the tech curve.

Cons

Nothing substantive. Growing fast and need more office space asap. Preferably in our amazing building.

Grab more office space in the building. Improve the cafe! Keep hiring great talent.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!