Edelman Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated September 16, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

141 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

talented people, good work/life balance, interest in personal growth

Cons

compensation is not up to par

If you want to keep your employees happy and stick around pay competitive market rates

Great Healthcare Freelance Experience

Former Employee - Freelancer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and smart.

Cons

For my particular position, there was a lot of solo travel.

Keep fostering junior talent and freelancer opportunities are very fulfilling.

Edelman Digital Internship

Current Employee - Digital Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

During the ten weeks I spent at Edelman NY as a digital intern I learned what it was like to be a part of big agency life. From the beginning, it was clear that every full-time employ on the digital floor was extremely supportive of the internship program. My manager and the members on my teams were open to questions, willing to share valuable lessons from their own experiences within the agency, and most importantly they were all trusting enough in my abilities to give me real responsibilities. During my time as an intern at Edelman Digital I was made to feel like a true member of all of my teams.

Cons

The program was extremely well run. If you are willing to work hard, ask questions, and take risks by putting yourself out there, an internship and Edelman Digital will be an invaluable experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Churn and burn.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big name brings in clients or at least short list for clients. Perks

Cons

Company size has hurt structure. Teams compete with each other, they do not work together well. Company can always bring in new business which leads to less than total effort to serve existing clients.

It would take a consulting firm to fix.

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people you work with are great (emphasis on 'most'). Good benefits, vacation time and a beautiful office. Plenty of social events. Great client list and recognition of the Edelman name.

Cons

Bureaucratic, family run popularity contest. I'm not sure I understand all the positive reviews after having worked there for 2+ years. Exceptions to various rules are the norm- it's all about who you know, how long you've been there, and how much dirt you have on various sketchy situations that keeps you in control. Junior staff are disposable and they salaries are not competitive.

Pay attention to the people who are actually doing the work, not the figureheads who are practically furniture they've been there for so long.

Edelman Digital is not Ready for Prime Time

Former Employee - Content Strategist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Content Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

None whatsoever. Never saw a place that was this ill-prepared for project management. Ever.

Cons

Project "Manager" and subordinates are grasping around trying to figure out how to do basic web or intranet re-design projects; stick to PR, kids, and reserve the deeper waters for digital agencies that know how to do this.
    Not near any trains, so commute sucks.
    Did not meet anyone during my whole 2 hours of employment there that I thought was intelligent, stable, creative or worth hiring.

Don't hire people like the indecisive PM that hired me without ever interviewing me. Don't hire anyone for the Digital side that does not understand how to run these types of projects. Don't hire anyone who thinks that excel spreadsheets are scary and weird-looking. Also, don't put new staff in a supply closet with broken PA systems, spare tables and chairs (NO JOKE, THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!!)

Great people

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I have developed so many great skills in the short time I have been working here. The name definitely carries great status and reputation. The people I work with bring so much to the table on a daily basis.

Cons

The quality of work should be more recognized. Billing is way too important.

Simply the Best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Independence means freedom from the financial pressures put on agencies in holding companies; Richard Edelman's game-changing leadership; you will go to work each day surrounded by the smartest people in the industry, at all levels.

Cons

The pace and size will not be for everyone. It is big, fast and extremely smart -- you have to be on your toes at all times.

Keep setting the bar high and pushing the industry forward.

Fantastic to work for

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn many skills, provided challenges and career growth opportunities, very social, made wonderful friends

Cons

Long hours, great if you are single but a challenge if you are in a relationship or wanting a family

Help junior and senior members find a way to achieve true work-life balance (work one day a week from home or build up staff on teams)

Fabulous opportunities--with high expectations

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Incredible work. Challenging client assignments and the resources to the the best work possible. People are very talented and many make great mentors, especially for mid & senior career. For people who fit the culture, the "entrepreneurial spirit" is real. The firm provides resources necessary to make good ideas happen.

Cons

Need to set your own boundaries because the firm will always push for better work. Some of the internal financial structure can make collaboration difficult, but individual relationships always trump the official policies.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!