Edelman Reviews

• New York City, NY Area

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the people you work with are great (emphasis on 'most'). Good benefits, vacation time and a beautiful office. Plenty of social events. Great client list and recognition of the Edelman name.

Cons

Bureaucratic, family run popularity contest. I'm not sure I understand all the positive reviews after having worked there for 2+ years. Exceptions to various rules are the norm- it's all about who you know, how long you've been there, and how much dirt you have on various sketchy situations that keeps you in control. Junior staff are disposable and they salaries are not competitive.

Pay attention to the people who are actually doing the work, not the figureheads who are practically furniture they've been there for so long.

Edelman Digital is not Ready for Prime Time

Former Contractor - Content Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Content Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

None whatsoever. Never saw a place that was this ill-prepared for project management. Ever.

Cons

Project "Manager" and subordinates are grasping around trying to figure out how to do basic web or intranet re-design projects; stick to PR, kids, and reserve the deeper waters for digital agencies that know how to do this.
    Not near any trains, so commute sucks.
    Did not meet anyone during my whole 2 hours of employment there that I thought was intelligent, stable, creative or worth hiring.

Don't hire people like the indecisive PM that hired me without ever interviewing me. Don't hire anyone for the Digital side that does not understand how to run these types of projects. Don't hire anyone who thinks that excel spreadsheets are scary and weird-looking. Also, don't put new staff in a supply closet with broken PA systems, spare tables and chairs (NO JOKE, THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!!)

3. Great people

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I have developed so many great skills in the short time I have been working here. The name definitely carries great status and reputation. The people I work with bring so much to the table on a daily basis.

Cons

The quality of work should be more recognized. Billing is way too important.

5. Simply the Best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Independence means freedom from the financial pressures put on agencies in holding companies; Richard Edelman's game-changing leadership; you will go to work each day surrounded by the smartest people in the industry, at all levels.

Cons

The pace and size will not be for everyone. It is big, fast and extremely smart -- you have to be on your toes at all times.

Keep setting the bar high and pushing the industry forward.

6. Fantastic to work for

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn many skills, provided challenges and career growth opportunities, very social, made wonderful friends

Cons

Long hours, great if you are single but a challenge if you are in a relationship or wanting a family

Help junior and senior members find a way to achieve true work-life balance (work one day a week from home or build up staff on teams)

7. Fabulous opportunities--with high expectations

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Incredible work. Challenging client assignments and the resources to the the best work possible. People are very talented and many make great mentors, especially for mid & senior career. For people who fit the culture, the "entrepreneurial spirit" is real. The firm provides resources necessary to make good ideas happen.

Cons

Need to set your own boundaries because the firm will always push for better work. Some of the internal financial structure can make collaboration difficult, but individual relationships always trump the official policies.

8. Prepare to work.. really...really.. really hard

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience to put on a resume, benefits and big corporate benefits

Cons

It's an incredibly competitive place (at least the health department) these are all very hard working overworked people who may not have time to train you properly.

focus on encouraging and inspiring your employees

Great place to build your resume, learn and launch your career

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, friendly and helpful people, well-known big name clients and a lot of opportunities to do some really cool projects

Cons

Workers can be very clique-y, office matters can become political, lack of diversity in terms of employees

Keep doing what your doing, make sure to keep recognizing and rewarding the accomplishments of junior staff.

Best of the Best

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed at several well-known NYC agencies over the course of a long career, and Edelman is by far the best place I have ever worked. The "E" in Edelman stands for excellence. It is impossible to overrate the importance of the firm's independence and the outstanding leadership and commitment of the Edelman family. The firm is loaded with smart, creative people, who are challenged everyday to grow, learn, and give back. Hard work IS rewarded here.

Cons

After experiencing other typical NYC agency environments, ranging from tolerable to unbearable, I truly can't think of any "cons" that amount to anything.

11. great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

private ownership, great work-life balance, great career opportunities for hard workers

Cons

There aren't many negatives. In some cases the leadership isnt as strong as it could be, but I am overall very pleased.

embrace telecommuters