Edelman

Edelman Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated Mar 2, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 50 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 109 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 89 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you are looking to get your foot in the door, Edelman is the company to do it with.

Intern (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsYou are given projects that help your team's overall vision and goal for the client.
    There are internal "organizations" that you can volunteer for and participate in.
    The opportunity of working with clients in different industries.

ConsLarge corporate agency PR isn't for everyone. It can be very routine/boring work. Excel spreadsheets become your best friend. You sit in front of a computer for nine hours a day whether you want to or not.

Great company BAD LOCAL management and culture.

Senior Position (Former Employee) Portland, OR

Pros-Benefits;
    -Opportunities (if you stay that long!)
    -Location
    -Great Digital Team
    -Great ongoing training
    -Great company overall to work for as a leader

Cons-VERY high turnover only 10 employees work there for more than 2 years because only "friends" stay
    -They fire and hire people like fall and spring collections
    -Micromanagement;
    -No ideas should come from anyone but Senior Management
    -The General Manager :uneducated an undergraduate degree(English) with no formal management education; Have no idea what P&L's are- they get advice from others.
    -The VPs: at most a basic college degree; Very irrational; Cannot work with them easily
    Salaries: Very underpaid. If you work there you will get paid less than a barista at Starbucks dependent on your role.
    -They make you fearful for your position within the company during the first 90 days of employment
    -They asked employees to go onto Glassdoor and write reviews. The good ones are most likely company sponsored.
    -What the General Manager says goes.
    -I foresee this Edelman office closing down; They are expensive and have no idea what they are doing;
    -No diversity. Only 5 men work there.
    -They don't like veterans: They fired one soon after I left and soon after they were hired. Handicaps are too much hassle for them.
    -They try to attract / poach for senior roles from other local companies hoping to get more business but most leave within 6 months because the work environment is drama filled.
    -If you are a senior member and they want to oust you, they exclude you from events and activities or take away your right to supervise. Mind games.
    -Everyone is too scared to say what they think because they don't want to lose their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to corporate: Evaluation of actual leadership based on employee turnover; lack of accounts and advancement of employees. Local senior authoritative management in this branch is a bad decision. No diversity. Cookie cutter only.

My experience at Edelman has been both fun and educational.

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe network. Given the scope of the company, the wealth of knowledge and information within our reach is always increasing. The culture is also relaxed, enabling a work-life balance suited to the individual.

ConsClient selection can be limited. Especially in a small market, you may not always be able to work on your preferred accounts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good clients, difficult agency

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSome name recognition in the brand, but losing that cache quickly.

ConsToo many to list. It's a sinking ship. Management team is a disaster, and that's really a compliment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business is heading for a nose dive because they do not invest enough in growing and retaining their talent. PR and marketing firms have employees as their biggest asset -- they can make or break the enterprise. Yet time and again, companies like Edelman get confused that the names of past and current clients are their biggest assets. My advice to management at Edelman is that this current way of operating is too short-sighted. By training and developing your people and caring and investing in them the way an industrial business might maintain a productive machine, Edelman will get far higher dividends than just trying to chase that next big client -- and wearing its people down in the process. The cycle is not sustainable for the business or its people.

Looks good from the outside, dysfunctional from the inside

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsEdelman has a good brand reputation, which means any time worked at the agency will look good on your resume. If you are starting out in your career, this is a good place to get experience in PR and to learn some best practices that will serve you well in the years to come.

ConsI joined Edelman because of the agency's reputation, but was surprised at how mismanaged the company was when I started working there. Managers are trained to be very hard on their team, often pushing people to their limits in the interest of client service. Employees are often brought to tears either from the stress, workload, or critical feedback from managers. I've seen more coworkers crying in the ladies room than I care to count. Although you can learn a lot from working at this agency, the harsh culture and cutthroat nature of the company means you need very thick skin to survive here very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Portland office could use a new senior management team. It is hard to retain quality employees when the management team doesn't care.

All the benefits of a global agency and a boutique

ProsGreat colleagues - genuinely enjoy spending >8 hours/day with them
    Culture has steadily improved - praise, accountability and real-time feedback as well as a fun and collaborative approach
    Get to work with incredibly smart people all across the Edelman network

ConsAgency life can be unpredictable, and work-life balance occasionally suffers as a result.
    Politicking inevitable at executive level of broader company

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to put your people and your clients ahead of your egos and P&L
    Keep investing in the company to maintain our leadership position

Good place - great people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSuper nice office - great location. Really smart people. Edelman is a big company globally. PDX office is super focused on growing.

ConsHours can be crazy. Some clients are hard to work with. Some areas of the office are better to sit in than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Edelman more visbility in Portland market. Its good we do a lot of celebrations don't stop those. I've seen people bash the leaders on this site. I disagree. They are great but tough, and if you don't know them its your fault. Some of the leaders before were the worst.

I've had better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLarge company names look great on resumes. Once you get your foot in the door you can transfer to other offices/cities. If you get the rare chance to work with other offices (new york/chicago/atlanta), you can learn a lot. Severance packages tend to be generous (or so we've heard).

ConsCulture is driven by fear. Local management has zero agency management experience. Turnover of respected and talented employees is extremely high. Agency brand recognition is low in the market. All the free coffee and soda (or meal replacement shakes....) in the world can't make up for a hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be respected, don't scream at or patronize your people so much.

Challenging, fun, thriving environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat account managers, savvy and strategic planners, top-notch tacticians, courageous leaders. Fun people. Aggressive growth and rewarding experiences. The perks are also pretty awesome - great parties, free soda and coffee, constant surprise goodies and a killer office space/location.

ConsAs with typical agency life, the hours can be long, the stress can be high.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep challenging your team, and maintain work life balance. Lead by example.

Rocky Road.

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe local account teams are top notch. Access to the larger Edelman team and working with colleagues from other offices lets us grow professionally and serve our clients well, despite local management issues.

ConsIn less than a year, this office went from one of the best places I've ever worked, to the absolute worst. Local management is a joke, making decisions based on personal vendettas more than business strategy and destroying culture and employee motivation. Half of us have one foot out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive back to your employees and learn from your mistakes. Consider a new career.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!