Edelman

Updated January 30, 2015
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Well-Oiled Machine

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

- Processes are seamless and quick
    - Employees are smart and everyone has their own set of expertise

Cons

Overtime is discouraged to a point, even when there is an overflow of work.

Smart people in a very big company

Current Employee - SAE in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SAE in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers are smart, fun and clever. lots of resources globally and abroad. large network allows for great insights across practices, traditional and digital PR as well as marketing

Cons

sometimes easy to get lost in the shuffle

keep doing what you're doing

Financial Analyst

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Great place to work for and some of the people are also great. Company offers a lot but you do have to stick out in order to be noticed.

Cons

Leadership is not so communicative as they should be for a commination work place.

Don't be so shady and share information with all employees.

Edelman - great client service, good career opportunities but heavy workloads and focus on profits

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman has good opportunities for growth if you are aggressive and push hard for advancement. It has a wide network of offices and specialty practices and managers are usually open to transfer requests. Company encourages professional growth and education. Employees are smart, dedicated, and hard working - everyone brings something unique to the table at Edelman and clients are served very well.

Cons

Work is demanding, the hours are long and salaries are low compared to industry standards. Focus is on increasing profits. Easy to get lost in the company if you don't make the effort to network and stand out, there are plenty of others that can take your place. Company touts work/life balance but workloads and local managers don't support that. Day-to-day contact with local executives/GMs is very limited and they are not in touch with what's happening in local offices.

Local executive management should provide more oversight to local senior management, encourage work/life balance.

My 6 Month Internship in the D.C. Office

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Big clients- Hilton, Walmart, Pepse, Adobe, Dannon, etc.
    Big office- many people to connect with and learn from
    In the heart of D.C.
    Edelman Learning Institute classes- hearing from & meeting experts
    Nice perks like endless coffee and ice cream on Fridays
    Was paid $12.25 an hour + time and a half for over time.

Cons

At least 30 interns any given week
    Most of the time you are isolated from the "real" employees.All interns are sectioned off in rooms together.
    Work follows you home.
    Not a steady rhythm- either stressed and pulling your hair out or bored and twiddling you thumbs.
    Getting a full-time position mostly depends on timing, luck of the draw.
    Lots of drinking in the office (maybe that is a pro to you though).

Give more feedback. Meet with interns regularly. Give the intern a written review at the end of their internship.

Did a great job branding itself

Current Employee - AAE in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - AAE in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Great client roster. Lots of booze. Nice benefits. Smart, fun people.

Cons

Will only promote you during two periods a year. If you're hired the DAY before this period, you missed the boat and they won't consider you until you've reached a full "term" and the time limit. Extremely draconian in promotions. Salaries are below local averages. If you say you ARE the best, you should pay like the best. Bonuses and promotions not given after management promises them to employees.

Keep your promises. Change promotion timelines to be more merit based. Stop playing favorites among employees. Don't make direct reports feel bad for taking sick days. Fairly extend telecommute options to everyone who is salaried.

Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Benefits, and that's all really

Cons

No room for personal and professional growth, admins are not considered promotable, very little training, time-off is frowned upon

Best experience I've ever had working for an agency!

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working here is great because managers really make you feel appreciated. "Thank you" and "Great Job" is expressed often and the sense of teamwork is always present. Managers help you plan your goals and (even better) help you achieve those goals by putting you on the right clients and getting you the experience you need to grow. There are tons of learning opportunities within Edelman including trainings, workshops and seminars. People who work here are really some of the smartest people I've ever met and they are very invested in pulling you up with them. This is an ethical company that I can really say I am proud to be a part of. They treat their employees with respect and are always looking out for employee's best interest.

Cons

The only con I have with working here is I had to make a lateral move to get my foot in the door and I really think they should pay their entry level staff a little bit more. But I see myself growing here and hope that promotions will make up for the entry level salary I am currently receiving.

Pay your AEs and AAEs more money. It will make them stay much longer.

overall good experience

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of intelligent people
    nice office location & building
    great benefits (health, vision, etc.)
    good amount of holidays/PTO offered
    room for growth and flexibility to transition internally to other offices/depts

Cons

poor work/life balance - you need to be able to put your foot down with colleagues and management and ask for time off, flexibility to work from home, etc.
    open office environment - everyone sits in a cubicle right on top of each other
    high turnover - lots of restructuring - constant change

take the time to pat your employees on the back some more. let them know they are valued and are an important part of the team especially during times of restructuring.

Very depressing place

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many smart people work there and they produce some good work. They can attract good people, as well, at least until they find another place to go.

Cons

Many people there think they know it all already -- and yet, PR is all about trying new things. Upper management plays a lot of favorites...It's not really a welcoming place if you're not part of the club. In fact, there are a lot of mean, miserable people. And that's taking the high road.

Stop being so short-sighted and hire based on talent and work ethic...Not based on whether people look like they would fit with the rest of the group. Or live together in Highland Park. Birds of a feather flock together here, like I've never seen anywhere else. It's also very gossipy.