Edelman

Updated December 22, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Best experience I've ever had working for an agency!

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here is great because managers really make you feel appreciated. "Thank you" and "Great Job" is expressed often and the sense of teamwork is always present. Managers help you plan your goals and (even better) help you achieve those goals by putting you on the right clients and getting you the experience you need to grow. There are tons of learning opportunities within Edelman including trainings, workshops and seminars. People who work here are really some of the smartest people I've ever met and they are very invested in pulling you up with them. This is an ethical company that I can really say I am proud to be a part of. They treat their employees with respect and are always looking out for employee's best interest.

Cons

The only con I have with working here is I had to make a lateral move to get my foot in the door and I really think they should pay their entry level staff a little bit more. But I see myself growing here and hope that promotions will make up for the entry level salary I am currently receiving.

Pay your AEs and AAEs more money. It will make them stay much longer.

overall good experience

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of intelligent people
    nice office location & building
    great benefits (health, vision, etc.)
    good amount of holidays/PTO offered
    room for growth and flexibility to transition internally to other offices/depts

Cons

poor work/life balance - you need to be able to put your foot down with colleagues and management and ask for time off, flexibility to work from home, etc.
    open office environment - everyone sits in a cubicle right on top of each other
    high turnover - lots of restructuring - constant change

take the time to pat your employees on the back some more. let them know they are valued and are an important part of the team especially during times of restructuring.

"Home of the most creative minds in the PR Industry"

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internally, Edelman provides all the necessary resources for successful client-facing results.

Cons

Senior management can lack with open communication between interns and position opportunities.

All depends on your team and your manager.

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The teams that aren't dysfunctional, are close, everyone has each other's backs. If you have the support of your manager, you can have the opportunity to win new biz, build your network, become an expert in the company. Fun parties. Resources. The "old-timers" are really great to work with, actually. Cool clients, especially in the consumer space. Smart people with great connections. Travel opportunities. Had the opportunity to relocate overseas. Working across the globe.

Cons

Worked in the DC office and can say that experience at Edelman varies WIDELY depending on your team and your manager. It's almost a Jekyll and Hyde kind of workplace. Some teams are known for breeding a hostile environment in which bad behavior get rewarded or is simply ignored. Just look at the slew of high-level departures recently. Be prepared to be bullied. Work/life balance is shrouded with an unspoken (or even sometimes spoken) expectation that even if you're meeting billing targets, it's not enough. If you don't push back on your manager, you'll go far. Don't value employees that did not start out in agency. Power-hungry. Complaints to HR not taken seriously.

Take employee complaints seriously. Standardize pay schedule. No matter how good an employee is with a client, consider behavior internally.

Tough, Burnout Culture

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Big name accounts
    Fast-paced nature
    Tons of responsibility (though little incentive)

Cons

Bad senior management who is only held accountable on P&L performance - not quality of management or performance of current accounts
    Absolutely no type of formal staffing model
    Work is never evenly distributed
    No work/life balance
    Negative reputation among clients as "salesy"
    Low pay, little incentive for long hours employees put in

Take a look at real consulting or law firms and tweak your business model. Also consider holding your senior management accountable for the way they manage their teams. The "high turnover" rate is perhaps what hurts our reputation most, yet nothing is done to improve management.

Sr. Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

Not always a happy place.

Pay attention to all employees

Great people, and an all around positive work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people! The work/life balance is phenomenal, everyone is very considerate of people's personal lives, and want to be flexible to accommodate having a life outside of work. I genuinely feel appreciated in my role, and feel like my hard work is rewarded.

Cons

After coming from another agency, I can honestly say the grass is greener on the other side. I don't have anything bad to say about working at Edelman.

Keep the training coming, everyone is eager to learn!

Challenging but lacks professionalism and clear focus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, variety of client work. Smart and creative people not only existed within the larger offices, but also in the smaller regional ones. Colleagues work harder and longer than any other industry. Great company to prove and challenge yourself.

Cons

Lack of professionalism within the office which affected culture, morale, and employee tenure. Compensation was below market average. Although there was flexibility, there was an overload of work that demanded overtime. Leadership waffled on focus and clear direction which was unfortunately driven from higher management.

Head Leadership must carry the torch and lead in a positive, professional direction without being swayed by other leadership influences or direct reports. Treat colleagues who are hardworking, trustworthy and accountable with respect and appreciation. Believe in your people. Stay on one path, no waffling.

Smart people and fun, engaging work

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman as an intern

Pros

Edelman has an awesome culture and senior leadership is very approachable. As an intern, you will rarely get busy work, most of what you do utilizes and develops skills that will be valuable at Edelman and beyond. If you express interest in a certain account or project, management will help to work you in. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

Edelman is a huge company, and it takes some getting used to. The billing system is a pain.

Keep it up!

Overworked, Work Politics, and No Growth

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO policy is decent. Free cereal/oatmeal on Mondays and free ice cream on Fridays is okay. Starbucks coffee beans is a good plus as well as milk machine.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. People are overworked and not rewarded for hard work. Training is not good and management is clueless. They only look after people who know how to work the office politics. It's who you know not what you know. There also is no room for growth here.

Reward your hard workers or they will get fed up and leave. Also, it would be helpful to put something in place where you can see some career progression and not have employees fall into a black hole. Lastly, it is necessary to stop favoritism and stop hiring family members or friends of other employees who are not qualified for the job.