Edelman Reviews

Reset
3.9
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Work life balance is good as well (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

1,061 Employee Reviews

Best Firm in the Business

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

Mobility, flexibility, creativity - they all represent values inside the company that play out every day. It's a great environment that rewards those who work hard, values ideas and creativity regardless of their origin (mostly), and if you're willing to go after them - opportunities around the world. The agency treats its people like their most important piece of equipment, the core of its business, and demands that they're developed as such. And on top of the fact that it's a world-class communications firm, the simple matter of the independence is a game changer. There's no way I would work for another firm, certainly not for a publicly traded one as part of some large conglomerate.

Cons

It can be too easy to get wrapped up in the work. You have to be responsible for taking charge of your own life/work balance - no one is going to do it for you. At the same time, while not unique to business, PR, or life in general - there are times that personal relationships among senior staff can cloud or interfere with the best decisions for clients, the firm, or employees. As a whole, there is due consideration and diligence, but the exceptions can stand out - if only in stark contrast. Finally, again, not unique to large companies - the bureaucracy can be a little crushing at times.

Advice to Management

Look much closer at the actual performance of Senior Manager, not just the perceived performance.

2. Great place to learn, with the usual level of office-related issues

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

Pros

Edelman is at the forefront of the changing world of PR and puts a high priority on its employees pursuing ongoing professional development opportunities

Cons

The level of leadership and employee development opportunities is somewhat inconsistent between offices.

Advice to Management

Continue to take steps to minimize the inter-office competition.

3. Exciting, dynamic place to work with lots of opportunity for the highly motivated.

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Seattle, WA

Pros

Top Fortune 500 clients, career growth. Independent spirit and dynamic corporate culture. Strong senior leadership, opportunity for advancement. Brand name strength. Decent bonus/profit sharing system and opportunity to negotiate your salary for high achievers.

Cons

They are very picky, so you have to work really hard to stand out among your peers. Teams are usually very busy, so to get noticed, you have to be smart about how you merchandise your work to your boss, your peers and your clients. Medical benefits have a higher than industry average employee contribution.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully to the needs of your junior employees and make time for them. Communicate "the big picture."

5. Edelman is the best of the best

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

Pros

Edelman is the best of the best in the PR industry. Edelman has excellent leadership and opportunities for growth and development of employees. Being the largest independent public relations firm, there is a lot of flexibility for staff, but still challenging and exciting client work.

Cons

It's a demandingenvironment where you need to work hard, but in the several years I have been at Edelman, my skills have grown tremendously.

Advice to Management

Senior management at Edelman shoudl keep listening to staff and continue the internal surveys. When they make real changes based on employee feedback, it gets noticed.

6. Best company I have worked for...great growth opportunities, healthy competition and amazing, intelligent co-workers.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

Edelman is fun, hardworking and respectful. I love the people I work with, I love the atmosphere and I love the work-life balance and flexibility that's given to good employees.

Cons

I suppose the hours can be long, but we're rewarded fairly.

Advice to Management

Senior management lets us know what we need to do to succeed and they put it in our hands, which is the right way to run a business.

7. Can't imagine working anywhere else! Fantastic firm that cares about its employees.

Current Employee - Senior Staffer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Staffer in Washington, DC

Pros

Working with smart people and being allowed to be a thought-leader! Employees have the ability to work on clients that interest them, can talk to managers about the right work/life balance for them. There is a tremendous training program, human resources team that is amazing and partners with us to help assure excellence for employees and encouragement of employees to "live in color" which means include other things in your life other than work. The senior leadership is strong and provide good mentorship. They listen to employees and act on what they hear. This office is one of the best Edelman has.

Cons

I can't honestly think of a single thing - I love this company!

Advice to Management

Stay privately owned and keep listening to employees.

Edelman Offers Creative, Cutting-Edge Work Environment

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Edelman is committed to keeping it's employees informed on the latest trends in the industry and creating a work environment that is creative enjoyable. There is a true commitment to client service and, while this might mean more work around deadlines for the employee, it means clients stick around---thus, I feel my job is secure and isn't going to another agency. My supervisor catches up with me whenever I seem even the slightest bit stressed so we can assess workload and determine how to better manage my time. This open line of communication encourages me to be candid with my supervisor about the progress of my projects, rather than please her throughout the time leading up to the project deadline with false status reports. Edelman is aware that PR can be a taxing profession. That said, they put their money with their mouth is in tackling this downside. Edelman is committed to healthy work-life balance. They provide breakfast on Mondays, fruits on Tuesdays and Thursday. Fridays they treat everyone to ice cream, many selection are healthy as well.

Cons

Edelman can be a lot of work. There are days when I come into the office at 6am and don't leave until 7pm. More times than not, my supervisor will keep track of days like this and allow me to leave early. However, when the team enters a busy season, there is little relief. Because everyone is working hard to meet the constant needs of the client, there can be an unnecessary sense of immediacy. Certainly we want to service the client as best as possible. However, nagging emails from fellow account people can be frustrating and a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Rely less on internal spin and more on honest assesment. At the end of the day, using either method of communication leads to a job well done. I just think we might be able to do an even better job not worrying about hurting feelings and, instead, relying on pure, honest assessment.

9. Edelman is great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment, great colleagues, interesting clients

Cons

long hours, little vacation time

Advice to Management

Don't overload employees with more work than is possible to complete

10. Edelman has its good point and bad points

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive

Pros

Prestige, being at the top of your field

Cons

Long hours, little compensation, little recognition for work

Advice to Management

Senior management seems to do very well, but there is an overall slump in corporate culture

11. Edelman: a superior place to work

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

Pros

The company culture is wonderful, and teamwork, recognition and work-life balance are all priorities at Edelman. Promotions and kudos are given for jobs well done. Lines of communication are open between employees and upper management, and professional development opportunities are abundant. The company has top-notch clients and the work is interesting. Edelman University is one example of a unique company offering with great value--here, employees share knowledge, expertise and best practices to help aid professional development, quality and client satisfaction. Furthermore, Richard Edelman is a gracious and knowledgeable leader who communicates frequently with his employees and is always looking for and blazing the next breakthrough in the PR world.

Cons

Having a number of large accounts is a blessing because it allows you to focus your time on one thing, but it can also be a curse because it can narrow your scope of development. And the size of the company can make it difficult to get to the top.

Advice to Management

When working in any large group, it's important to keep bureaucracy from hampering innovation.

Showing 1,061 of 1,131 reviews