Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere"
    in 106 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 85 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Full of nice idiots

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of title upgrading available, promote from within, work on big client names.

ConsLOTS of clueless people in charge. Too much bureaucracy makes for inefficient work & lengthy timelines.
Anything Digital is run by the most junior of people, which are absolutely stupid and clueless journalism-chasing interns who joined for PR and got silo'd into doing "digital" work. By the way, they consider anything online to be digital. So when you get their "Digital Specialist" or senior Digital people, you're getting glorified Tweeters and Facebook posters who got over promoted after sticking around since the 90's.
Their entire advertising teams in some offices consist sometimes no people in fact trained in advertising. A money-sucking proposition for clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on viable skill levels, stop putting people in management or supervisor positions simply because they're too old to be called an Account Executive anymore.

No work life balance

Creative (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsMight work on an array of brands which Edelman has lots of access to. Insurance coverage is great. Roof deck is amazing (when you get to use it).

ConsWill work you to the bone. Completely thankless. I was belittled by my boss even though he liked my work and I pulled 16 hour days, 4 days a week. Working on digital work or campaigns was a nightmare because the PR teams try to govern them, but so do the creative teams. People like to pretend that they know what they are doing, but it's more about politics than anything else. And they try and give you a whole Edelman propaganda lowdown, so they can get you to drink the koolaid, when working there just causes you to drink excessively from stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider work life balance. Allow Senior Management to actually respect their teams. And consider your work more than politics otherwise, all of the work is going to remain half-staff. And allow your creative teams a little more autonomy from your PR teams.

And The Oscar for Worst Agency - Edelman

Vice President (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFeels like you are working in a factory off shore in a foreign country - you can be completely invisible so if you have little personality great place to be

ConsNew York consumer group has experienced mass exodus of pseudo talented senior so-called executives - one would have to think the new leader running the consumer group has made a big impression on these folks - wow

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it down several notches - pay more for talent - stop hiring your family - and stop hiring senior leaders who have had bad behavior issues at previous firms to have global roles

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company BAD LOCAL management and culture.

Senior Position (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros-Benefits;
-Opportunities (if you stay that long!)
-Location
-Great Digital Team
-Great ongoing training
-Great company overall to work for as a leader

Cons-VERY high turnover only 10 employees work there for more than 2 years because only "friends" stay
-They fire and hire people like fall and spring collections
-Micromanagement;
-No ideas should come from anyone but Senior Management
-The General Manager :uneducated an undergraduate degree(English) with no formal management education; Have no idea what P&L's are- they get advice from others.
-The VPs: at most a basic college degree; Very irrational; Cannot work with them easily
Salaries: Very underpaid. If you work there you will get paid less than a barista at Starbucks dependent on your role.
-They make you fearful for your position within the company during the first 90 days of employment
-They asked employees to go onto Glassdoor and write reviews. The good ones are most likely company sponsored.
-What the General Manager says goes.
-I foresee this Edelman office closing down; They are expensive and have no idea what they are doing;
-No diversity. Only 5 men work there.
-They don't like veterans: They fired one soon after I left and soon after they were hired. Handicaps are too much hassle for them.
-They try to attract / poach for senior roles from other local companies hoping to get more business but most leave within 6 months because the work environment is drama filled.
-If you are a senior member and they want to oust you, they exclude you from events and activities or take away your right to supervise. Mind games.
-Everyone is too scared to say what they think because they don't want to lose their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to corporate: Evaluation of actual leadership based on employee turnover; lack of accounts and advancement of employees. Local senior authoritative management in this branch is a bad decision. No diversity. Cookie cutter only.

Horrible people management at Edelman

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMoney, package, office location, that's it.....nothing else

ConsAttitude from management is really poor and there is no two-ways communication, for a company speaking of creativity and innovation, top management shows neither of those qualities or openness to them. Average turn-over of people in the past half year was probably 10 people. They can let people go even if they have worked for them for years from 09:00 to 20:00 or later! Not to speak about the horrible and unprofessional attitude they have when they ask someone go - they literally kick the person out the same day and don't even allow him to send a goodbye email to his contacts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to reform your office culture otherwise you're doomed to keep on loosing people.

An asylum....culture gives lip service to "people" but focuses only on "numbers"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLess red tape, few systems, informal style, strong brand

ConsLittle or no investment in developing people. Managers do not develop people, no sense of career path. Very US-centric, still believes that NY can run the world. Family nepotism. Tolerates sexual harassment and abusive language. This is a 100% "make your numbers" culture with no real vision beyond being bigger. Edelman does not respect people so the turnstile is always turning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo public, sell out or update the culture with global approaches. Learn what empowerment actually means and start practicing it. Stop telling and start asking. Then listen. Make an example of people who cross the line, especially for sexual harassment, instead of promoting them to higher positions. Lose your fear of investing in people, stop seeing them as expendable.

Biggest Worst PR Firm

Vice President (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity to work at the world's biggest PR firm that will soon be a billion dollars in revenue and every company in the world has heard of this agency so it def helps to have this firm on your resume - that is about the pro to this firm -

ConsI worked at this firm for more then 5 years - starting as an Account Executive and leaving as a VP - my experience and those around me had very similar experience - bad management, long hours- true sweat shop experience folks - nasty clients - all of the positive reviews you read have to be written by someone in communications for the firm - look closely at the dates - so so many on the same date - seriously? Every day - yelling from supervisors at staff, criticizing good work and them taking credit for it - disgusting -

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking only about money for yourself - think and treat employees with respect, stop hiring your brothers, sisters, and children, and actually pay people what they deserve -

Limited growth opportunities, poor compensation, improperly trained managers

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsEdelman is a creative place to work.

ConsLower level employees are not treated well, mid-level managers are poorly trained and made supervisors at a young age, advancement opportunities are slim. The few people who were promoted last year had a very slight salary increase -- much lower than the industry average. Turnover is high. Company morale is low. Senior and mid-level management is not doing anything to increase morale. Instead they limit advancement, cut programs and work you to the bone.

Good clients, difficult agency

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome name recognition in the brand, but losing that cache quickly.

ConsToo many to list. It's a sinking ship. Management team is a disaster, and that's really a compliment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business is heading for a nose dive because they do not invest enough in growing and retaining their talent. PR and marketing firms have employees as their biggest asset -- they can make or break the enterprise. Yet time and again, companies like Edelman get confused that the names of past and current clients are their biggest assets. My advice to management at Edelman is that this current way of operating is too short-sighted. By training and developing your people and caring and investing in them the way an industrial business might maintain a productive machine, Edelman will get far higher dividends than just trying to chase that next big client -- and wearing its people down in the process. The cycle is not sustainable for the business or its people.

If you are a minority, look else where

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsOf course Edelman looks great on your resume, it's the largest PR firm in the world. The opportunity seems endless for most.

ConsMinorities, especially those of African decent, do not advance at an equal pace as others. It may take two years to get promoted from a AAE to AE or AE to SAE. Minority interns rarely get hired, extended or even considered. It was also discouraging to see the majority of AA employees working in mail room. This is not an isolated situation, it happens in offices around the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond color, it's 2013. Practice what you preach.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 799 reviews posted anonymously by Edelman employees.