Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 50 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 109 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 89 reviews)

Work-Life Balance is a Farce at Edelman

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe Silicon Valley office has decent snacks, and there truly is an interest in evolving PR as journalism changes. Of the large agencies, Edelman is the most committed to industry research and not just preaching expertise, but truly investigating the best ways to serve clients.

ConsThe down side is minimal work-life balance. While the agency continues to invent cute ways to provide "balance" and perks for employees, the truth of the matter is that certain clients and teams will consistently work 10 hr+ days (not including a lunch break), and even longer during major launches. I define balance as working hard, long hours during the upswings, but having a chance to recuperate and duck out early during downswings. Unfortunately, my accounts have never had downswings, and working until 8-630 is business-as-usual, even on Fridays.

Beyond just client work in excess of my intended allocation, billing under the required eight hours is highly frowned upon - even if you've worked 12+ hours days prior. This was made clear after a colleague was scolded for billing 7 hour day following two weeks of 12-hour days. While you can evade scrutiny by floating hours, the lack of flexibility is laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone is equipped to be a PM: many people went into PR thinking they could avoid numbers, and this lack of skill skews allocations and makes workloads heavier than they should be. Invest in financial training and crack down on deltas in allocation - not just when complaints bubble up. Otherwise, you're continuing to foster a "squeaky wheel" culture. Find ways to build career paths where those who do well working with percentages can PM; those who don't excel there, can contribute in other leadership paths.

In addition, hire Interns that actually have potential to grow within Edelman. Too often, post-grad interns are hired that can do the mundane intern tasks "OK," but have a good attitude; while a positive attitude is welcome, it's not grounds for for a new hire. These conversions breed frustration in the AAE-AE level as junior staffers slowly move along despite a lack of skill. It's unfair to those not equipped to do the job continue to struggle to tread water in junior roles, and those on their team suffer by having to carry too much extra weight. Make smart hiring decisions at all levels.

Great internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsGreat work life balance, good company values, learning environment

ConsCompensation is relatively low compared to industry average

Good agency environment; business is booming in Seattle

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBreadth of clientele to meet your interests; employee benefits; new Seattle office location coming in November 2014; strong growth in Seattle market/office across disciplines and practice areas; salaries tend to be competitive within the agency market; company values and vision

ConsSeattle parking (if you drive to work) can be $11-$13/day; work-life balance can be difficult based on client demands and workload, at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate Practice Intern

Corporate Practice (Former Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosthe best platform at which you can get in touch with world-class clients and get first-class training

Conshard working and huge pressure

Great people

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI have developed so many great skills in the short time I have been working here. The name definitely carries great status and reputation. The people I work with bring so much to the table on a daily basis.

ConsThe quality of work should be more recognized. Billing is way too important.

It's been a while

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsInterested in new ideas and technologies, gives room for growth

Consdemanding hours, lots of hand-holding of clients

Challenging and stimulating, but very frustrating

Account Executive (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat place to learn, great resources

ConsCompetitive to a fault, easy to fall through the cracks when working on large accounts

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place to learn from higher ups, challenging, lots of really useful experience that helps set you up for a future at an agency

ConsSometimes very stressful, sometimes nothing to do

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance out the work load so it's consistent

Horrible, agressive, combative atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBIG - lots of budget for things like training. Good perks. Great pay.

ConsHorrible management only concerned with squeezing clients for money, and employees for work. Senior leadership pits managers against each other, creating a non-collaborative and aggressive atmospherel

Great people to work with/for

Associate Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou learn something new every day from co-workers and supervisors.

ConsAt times, the supervisors are doing a billion things that they can't really teach/train the people working under them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep motivating peers and increase training on digital.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!