Edelman Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.8

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company with outstanding values mixed with a fun and entertaining environment!

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

I love what I do, I love the people I work with and I'm proud to be employed by Edelman. The Seattle office is fun and hard-working. Employees work hard and reap the benefits... senior staff does a good job of acknowledging and rewarding people who make solid contributions. The office is casual, laid-back and endlessly entertaining, which makes me happy to be at work each day. I don't think I've ever dreaded coming to work and the environment and people are the main reason why. Communication is another strength; senior staff communicate company and office news often and consistently.

Cons

You have to work really hard sometimes, but it's great to know that your co-workers are doing the same thing, making them dedicated and intelligent contributors.

Keep communicating to staff and be as transparent as possible.

If I didn't work here I'd want to be a client.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman offers the greatest variety and depth of public relations counsel in the agency realm. I worked at Waggener Edstrom, as well as Hill and Knowlton and had vowed never to work in an agency again. I began at Edelman as a part-time employee and was immediately impressed by the level of client service, support for employees and most of all by the senior leadership. Having worked at other agencies, I was stunned by the personal involvement of c-level executives in helping clients on a day to day basis and winning new business.

The value account teams deliver is unsurpassed (at least based upon the experience in my office). All voices are valued and creative thinking is accepted at all levels.

I realize this sounds a bit like a pollyanna, but is truly my experience.

Cons

The reality is that agency life isn't for everyone. I do feel it is the best environment for learning and expanding your skill set. I am grateful that Edelman is a private company because we can weather the tough times and keeping employees is a priority.

Leading a diverse and global company is not easy and it is difficult to maintain a company's culture. I would encourage the leadership to support regional differences so that we can continue to provide the best local AND global support.

Great reputation, not a great place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman is a place that is full of very smart people who, in my mind, are thought leaders in the PR industry. The training and education they give to employees is truly valuable and overall the clientele is very interesting. Beyond thought leadership and great clients, they have beautiful offices around the U.S. that are aesthetically pleasing to walk into every day.

Cons

Upper management shows extreme favoritism to those who fit a particular mold. They will promote them relentlessly and noticeably allow them to micromanage the rest of the team (regardless of their title). If you are not one of their favorites, upper management will always find a reason why you shouldn’t be promoted and not give you a constructive reason why you cannot move to the next level. Aside from there not being an opportunity for career growth here, the pay is terrible. I am making 10 to 15 thousand less than my counter parts in other firms, and do not have any benefits like compensated travel (parking, bus, train) or a reduced rate on a gym. Aside from all this the people truly make this place miserable. They are passive aggressive, arrogant and will do anything they can to take credit for good work they did not do. I would not recommend working here.

If you demand certain things of staff, then demand that same quality and performance of all staff. We know that times are tough – but it is not a reason to underpay and under compensate your staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There's a reason we're voted the best place to work each year.

Current Employee - SAS  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SAS in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

The people are some of the best and the brightest in the industry.

Cons

Integration and cooperation between offices could be improved.

Transparency and communication are important to continue to share. I like the frequency of communication from the top.

Don't work at Edelman if you can help it

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

They have decent business prospects.

Cons

Mean, politically motivated know-it-alls at all levels. You are looked down at if you are not Jewish -- and I'm part Jewish. Very few people are happy here, which is too bad. I've worked at a few agencies and this is tied for last place with Weber Shandwick.

Stop PRing the work environment to the outside world, without actually making it a good place to work. PR has enough reputation issues without the Edelman smokescreen.

Be prepared to work hard; you'll get out what you put in.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman

Pros

When you're starting your career in PR or communications, there isn't a better place to be for meeting others in your shoes, finding mentoring opportunities and getting connected with others in the industry. The company is great about offering internal education and growth opportunities to young professionals, and really invests a lot in making sure they've got the best of the best as far as workforce goes.

Cons

Very hierarchical, and very political. If you don't play the game it's wisest just to get out.

Often the support or solicitations for feedback from younger staff members came off as feeble or obsequious. It pays to actually *listen* to junior staffers.

Great opportunities for mid-to-senior management, but junior staff is overworked and underpaid.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Edelman is a well-known firm and has a strong creative staff. The agency also has an extensive list of clients across a number of practices including technology, healthcare, consumer, etc. The company does a good job of staffing accounts across offices and regions to take advantage of different expertises that vary across the country. The company also has extensive international offices that are helpful when clients need work done in foreign countries, need documents, translated or need access to press in foreign countries.

Cons

Low pay for junior staff, and on large accounts the junior staff are not always given opportunities to experience different types of the business i.e. plan development, extensive media outreach, etc.

Pay the little people better. They're the driving force for your account management.

Thoughts

Former Employee - Anonymouns  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymouns in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Great professionals in the network

Cons

Lack of clear leadership and direction locally

Not sure...

PR Week's 2009 Agency of the Year for a Reason

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman is a creative powerhouse. Whenever I need some unique options to present a client, I round up a selection of colleagues from various parts of the company to brainstorm ideas - our collective creativity never fails to impress me! Edelman's medical benefits are superior to other companies' (though not all employees appreciate this.) Also, new hires automatically get two weeks vacation, PLUS what amounts to other week in optional/balance days. And that is on top of 10 standard holidays, including MLK and Presidents' Day. Another great advantage of working at Edelman: we're an independent company so we're able to invest in our future, our services and our people the way many Wall Street-beholden firms can't. Finally, you can't overlook the fact that Edelman was named PR Week's Agency of the Year in 2009.

Cons

We're working hard to get better at this, but teams in different practice areas and geographies do not share information effectively. This is partially driven by Edelman's entrepreneurial culture (everyone wants to own their own little piece of the company) and by the way our P&L is structured. Speaking of structure, Edelman has few processes in place compared to other companies. In some ways, this helps us make decisions more quickly and with greater flexibility; however, we often end up duplicating efforts or wasting time tracking down information that should be readily available. Our financial processes (or lack thereof) are a great example; however, we are rolling out a new global financial system this year that I am hoping will make billing MUCH easier for us and for clients.

Pay particular attention to people management skills and give feedback diplomatically.

Edelman: a superior place to work

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

The company culture is wonderful, and teamwork, recognition and work-life balance are all priorities at Edelman. Promotions and kudos are given for jobs well done. Lines of communication are open between employees and upper management, and professional development opportunities are abundant. The company has top-notch clients and the work is interesting. Edelman University is one example of a unique company offering with great value--here, employees share knowledge, expertise and best practices to help aid professional development, quality and client satisfaction. Furthermore, Richard Edelman is a gracious and knowledgeable leader who communicates frequently with his employees and is always looking for and blazing the next breakthrough in the PR world.

Cons

Having a number of large accounts is a blessing because it allows you to focus your time on one thing, but it can also be a curse because it can narrow your scope of development. And the size of the company can make it difficult to get to the top.

When working in any large group, it's important to keep bureaucracy from hampering innovation.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!