Edelman Reviews

Reset

1. Truly Entrepreneurial

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic, smart people. Tremendous room for growth. Enviable client roster.

Cons

Typical challenges associated with client service; they pay big bucks and therefor expect miracles. Increasing bureaucracy from corporate...trying to shove our messy and organic work into tidy processes.

Advice to Management

If you truly want to "Edelute"--look to fiscal structures first. Client needs will never be the first consideration if groups are competing internally for portions of the pie. Our lack of diversity is troubling. And people are beyond sick of internal marketing campaigns, which have a proven track record of starting with a bang and ending with a whimper.

2. My experience as an Edelman intern

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Learn from bright, driven individuals
    Great team environment
    Hands-on, dive deep into client accounts
    Strong leadership
    Looks good on your resume

Cons

Seems to be a little uptight compared to other PR firms - a lot more corporate. Could be a more fun culture

Advice to Management

Talk to strong interns early on about possible employment so you don't lose them to other companies

3. PR Intern

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Great people to work with, amazing connections, top-notch clients. Managers are there to support you in your growth and will be with you every step of the way.

Cons

There are some slow days and sometimes managers are not clear in what they want. You'll have to figure things out on your own and may have to redo projects.

Advice to Management

More team building practices.

Asst. Account Manager

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Great team for certain projects, very driven atmosphere. Some clients great to work for, others not so much. All around though, positive experience

Cons

This is a really large agency- lots of moving parts. If you're moving from client to client sometimes it's hard to keep track of all of the stakeholders- you have to stay on your toes

Advice to Management

Consistency across teams would be helpful, but understand it might be tough because the agency is so big, which can also be positive

6. Employee Review

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

-Good work environment
    -Great employees
    -Great experience

Cons

-Long hours
    -Somewhat hard to move up

7. Snake pit

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some bright and talented people there

Cons

Highly political, hang on to your clients or they'll be poached by your own 'colleagues'

Advice to Management

Try telling the truth

8. Great company

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Great people and office culture

Cons

Work can be successful at times

9. Intern

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Good experience, enjoyed my environment

Cons

Unclear administrative support, didn't know how to get help when I needed it

Advice to Management

Especially to interns: Mentor them!

Hire Beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Yes, the agency has blue chip clients - you'll get to touch some prestige accounts. It has all the "big agency" bells & whistles -- fancy office digs, free Starbucks. There are some talented individuals there.

Cons

Highly political. Atrocious on-boarding. Not respectful of those who come from outside big agency or outside Edelman -- skills notwithstanding, it's more about the "process" there. Rewards come to those who follow the rules (if you can figure out what they are) and make the right friends in high places, not necessarily those who are most skilled. During my tenure, VERY volatile leadership environment - massive turnover, lack of quality hands-on management for senior level talent. Nearly impossible to find quality mentoring -- everyone is too busy and agency doesn't value it, so it's not a priority. Reputation as a "best place to work" is, to me, laughable. Lots of lip service to the culture - but not a healthy work environment. Little to no socialization with colleagues -- competitive and highly political. Tendency to rest on laurels and not push the envelope with truly creative work. Effort to become more "full service" has them poaching talent from ad agencies - but "creatives" used to ad agency model don't work well with PR account teams...lack of respect between the two disciplines creates tension.

Advice to Management

More accountability for managers (at SVP and up level.) Less focus on policy and protocol and more respect for raw talent. On-boarding that actually prepares someone from outside the organization to succeed. Integrated communications teams need an environment of mutual respect. Developing senior level talent requires a commitment to mentoring at a VP level and above (not just for junior team.)

11. Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Edelman (Less than a year)

Pros

The working environment was very good. Team members are always willing to help.

Cons

Work load is too much, have to work overtime a lot.

Showing 833 of 1,084 reviews