Edelman

Updated November 19, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 96 reviews)

More Highlights

Career opportunity with lots of room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, frequent raises/promotions, collaborative environment, room for creativity and self expression, opportunity to go far and gain expertise in multiple markets.

Cons

Low pay at junior level, long work hours.

Welcoming, Collaborative and Talented

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Edelman only a short while and without hesitation have found the team welcoming, encouraging and talented. It's rare, in my experience, to find a team so enthusiastic about someone new to the organization and ready and willing to answer questions, get you involved, and so on. Already I'm being challenged by the work and feel very confident about the future here.

Cons

Edelman is a large organization that has maintained an entrepreneurial-like environment. Some could be challenged by the dichotomy that at the same time wants for strict process, while also a bit territorial. That said, all it really takes is an ability to flex your style and embrace the benefits (and challenges) of both.

Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

Great Experience with Edelman

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like the Edelman culture really shines through in not just day-to-day work, but hour-to-hour work. Whether it's beer and guacamole during an afternoon meeting or being able to pull in brilliant minds from other teams into meetings, "the way it is" at Edelman has fostered a lot of creativity, big ideas and excellent client service. My team has been great with time-off politices

Cons

Not a lot of cons from my view, but sometimes thoughts from the higher levels of teams (VP, SVP, EVP) only flows down to the junior staff through the AS/SAS level, which makes me left wanting a bit more direct contact with the senior staff

Really appreciate the way the office, U.S. and global leadership communicates with the employees as a whole. The review process is regular and thorough.

Best place to learn and grow with the best!

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Edelman is the best of both worlds - support of a large agency but independently owned. The people here care about two things: creating great work and working with the best.

Cons

Navigating a larger agency can be tough if you're not used to it. Take the time to learn what support and skillset you have available to you.

The most challenging and rewarding experience I've had.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, upward mobility if you work hard. People who are successful are rewarded accordingly, always merit based.

Cons

Challenging work/life balance but manageable.

This agency is leading the industry.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with interesting clients and a strong culture. Entrepreneurial spirit and prudent risk-taking are encouraged here. Edelman's independence makes it unlike any other agency of its size and reach. Lots of people have been here for years, which is a testament to the opportunities provided to the agency's best employees.

Cons

The agency has a tendency to bite off more than it can chew, launching far too many internal initiatives at one time that must be attended to on top of the client work. Bad behavior at the very senior levels is sometimes tolerated for too long.

Deal with bad behavior and counter-productive politics at the very senior levels. Be sure to take good care of your best employees. Dial back on all the internal initiatives.

A very satisfying experience

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance, open 360 degree approach

Cons

Could have more lateral growth prospects

One of the best places I've worked

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for over 10 organizations in my career and this is definitely top 2. Company culture is large and supportive but still nimble. And, for a PR firm, people are intelligent, strategic, and on top of things. Good managers and VP level leadership. Company appreciates people who don't come from a PR background which is in my opinion, the best way to differentiate. Supportive managers if you are a good employee. I have only been here for a few months and my manager is already working with me to try and get me a promotion. Fingers crossed!

Cons

Still don't understand the divide between the "digital" and "pr" practices within the firm. seems to be an org construct that doesn't reflect people's actual knowledge or abilities. I'm betting this will go away soon. Geographies also operate pretty separately but not a deal breaker, just an observation.

Get rid of digital vs pr teams. Everyone should be doing both.

Blazing a trail for the future

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented workforce. This company gets it, sees where the industry is going. Ability to meld social/traditional/digital/measurement = best-in-class. Unlimited ambition, which can be infectious (in a good way). Diversity of coworkers makes every day an adventure.

Cons

Divergence of traditional and digital mediums is both a blessing and a curse, but the savvy of our department heads stack the deck in Edelman's favor.

Continue respecting the talent and vision our junior staff embodies. They will be the leadership, soon enough.