Edelman

Updated December 17, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful, fun filled work environment with forward looking management

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very forward looking and Industry leaders as Top Management
    Ethics and Values as top priority
    Fun filled and challanging work environment

Cons

For those who want 8 to 5 routine job, might not be correct place

Top agency, best talent, becoming a creative shop, what else could you ask for?

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of clients and I often utilize the broad network of experts you simply can't find at any other agency. We are making strides to become the lead marketing agency. The fellows program allows junior team members to transfer to international offices for one year, an amazing benefit of the agency.

Cons

Over the past few years the agency has become much more political internally within the senior leadership team. In the rare event there is a bad hire, we have historically been slow to correct the situation. Better integration across other office team is needed, especially at the practice level.

Many teams have become top heavy and we must recruit quality junior staff to support our clients. Our EdelU program seems to have stalled out, invest and have a greater emphasis on our continuing education. The MIP program is too confusing and does not reflect the senior teams investment into the business, this needs to be restructured.

I love working at Edelman. The company, the global perspective and the people keep me motivated each day.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman continually pushes the boundaries for the definition of PR. The company values high-quality client service.

Cons

At time, it seems that financial compensation is not as competitive as other agencies.

Continue to be as transparent as possible.

Life is Pretty Good Here

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came to Edelman after being burnt out on agency life, and was surprised to like it so much. Originally my plan was to stay a year for the name on my resume and then leave, but now I don't know... Everyone is really nice and supportive. There are so many learning opportunities. Work life balance is real. There are interesting projects to work on, and you don't get locked into the same thing. If there is something you are interested in, you can make it happen through sheer will and entrepreneurial spirit. Lateral moves within the company are quite common. Also, all the people who have left have gone on to really great jobs.

Cons

The one thing that makes me consider leaving is the PAY. It's abysmal. Edelman can get away with it because it is Edelman.

Also, the company feels a bit top heavy. There are so many VPs going on about what great work they've done, when most of the grunt work is done by junior employees.

Make your pay more competitive with the industry standards.

Career opportunity with lots of room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, frequent raises/promotions, collaborative environment, room for creativity and self expression, opportunity to go far and gain expertise in multiple markets.

Cons

Low pay at junior level, long work hours.

Amazing Company

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

- prestigious
    - great pay for pr
    - fun and collaborative colleagues

Cons

- long hours
    - some favoritism
    - sink or swim environment

Welcoming, Collaborative and Talented

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Edelman only a short while and without hesitation have found the team welcoming, encouraging and talented. It's rare, in my experience, to find a team so enthusiastic about someone new to the organization and ready and willing to answer questions, get you involved, and so on. Already I'm being challenged by the work and feel very confident about the future here.

Cons

Edelman is a large organization that has maintained an entrepreneurial-like environment. Some could be challenged by the dichotomy that at the same time wants for strict process, while also a bit territorial. That said, all it really takes is an ability to flex your style and embrace the benefits (and challenges) of both.

Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

Great Experience with Edelman

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like the Edelman culture really shines through in not just day-to-day work, but hour-to-hour work. Whether it's beer and guacamole during an afternoon meeting or being able to pull in brilliant minds from other teams into meetings, "the way it is" at Edelman has fostered a lot of creativity, big ideas and excellent client service. My team has been great with time-off politices

Cons

Not a lot of cons from my view, but sometimes thoughts from the higher levels of teams (VP, SVP, EVP) only flows down to the junior staff through the AS/SAS level, which makes me left wanting a bit more direct contact with the senior staff

Really appreciate the way the office, U.S. and global leadership communicates with the employees as a whole. The review process is regular and thorough.

Best place to learn and grow with the best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Edelman is the best of both worlds - support of a large agency but independently owned. The people here care about two things: creating great work and working with the best.

Cons

Navigating a larger agency can be tough if you're not used to it. Take the time to learn what support and skillset you have available to you.