Edelman Reviews

1023 reviews filtered by

Overworked, Work Politics, and No Growth

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO policy is decent. Free cereal/oatmeal on Mondays and free ice cream on Fridays is okay. Starbucks coffee beans is a good plus as well as milk machine.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. People are overworked and not rewarded for hard work. Training is not good and management is clueless. They only look after people who know how to work the office politics. It's who you know not what you know. There also is no room for growth here.

Reward your hard workers or they will get fed up and leave. Also, it would be helpful to put something in place where you can see some career progression and not have employees fall into a black hole. Lastly, it is necessary to stop favoritism and stop hiring family members or friends of other employees who are not qualified for the job.

Talented Teams, Dream Clients, High Expectations

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Edelman has far and away the most talented teams in the industry and subsequently has a dream client list. Everyone is smart and hard-working (if you're not, you're driven out pretty quickly), so it's easy to respect everyone you work with.

We have unparalleled access to resources and the company value of "entrepreneurial spirit" isn't just marketing hype - I genuinely feel like I can drive change and make things happen without red tape, both internally and externally. That said, if you like a lot of attention or hand-holding, it's definitely not the agency for you.

Cons

Grueling pace and high expectations make for long hours and stressful days.

3. Challenging but lacks professionalism and clear focus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, variety of client work. Smart and creative people not only existed within the larger offices, but also in the smaller regional ones. Colleagues work harder and longer than any other industry. Great company to prove and challenge yourself.

Cons

Lack of professionalism within the office which affected culture, morale, and employee tenure. Compensation was below market average. Although there was flexibility, there was an overload of work that demanded overtime. Leadership waffled on focus and clear direction which was unfortunately driven from higher management.

Head Leadership must carry the torch and lead in a positive, professional direction without being swayed by other leadership influences or direct reports. Treat colleagues who are hardworking, trustworthy and accountable with respect and appreciation. Believe in your people. Stay on one path, no waffling.

Lots of opportunity, not always great talent

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Edelman is a loyal company with many directions to grow in and learn. There is some amazing talent within the company, and the CEO leads by example.

Cons

There are a lot of politics to deal with and lengthy processes. You need to want to play the political game, and know that for every amazing talent you work with, there's an equal amount of poor talent.

Be very mindful of who you choose to run your team(s) and make sure they are the right fit.

<3 Edelman

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, growth opportunities, value, all great.

Cons

Work/life balance is what you'd expect working at the world's largest PR agency - if you do your research you'll know this coming in.

What an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people, the global network, the firm's reputation, the benefits...the list goes on. As a junior employee, there is a lot of opportunity for growth and you have the chance to experience many different things and move up the ladder quickly.

Cons

You will work a lot, no doubt about that. Salary is a little low but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

A breath of fresh air. I'm beyond happy being here.

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly inclusive culture. People are fun and social and welcoming. I feel respected, encouraged, and supported in my role here. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this team. Edelman is doing some groundbreaking things--no longer just in the PR world, they are a social agency doing advertising and interdisciplinary marketing for huge brands. I'm honored to be a part of it.

Cons

I honestly don't have much to complain about. We work in a very competitive industry, so there are (of course) late nights and difficult client demands, but that's just par for the course. Everyone brings their A game and hustles to make a contribution.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Incredible talent, crushing hours

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best talent and the best clients. Opportunity to learn a lot of facets and best practices of the PR business. Excellent perks and benefits.

Cons

Hours can be long and unpredictable. Switch groups, accounts, etc. or risk being pigeonholed. The transition from traditional PR to what Richard Edelman calls "communication marketing" is uncertain and frustrating at times, though I think that's unavoidable.

Managers need to try new things too, but sometimes it feels like we're too expensive to be allowed to take risks.

Great company, dynamic, creative and talented co-workers, terrific clients, fabulous opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman has a well-deserved stellar reputation in the PR industry. The client list is stellar, your co-workers are all rock-stars, the atmosphere is nurturing and they respect your work-life balance.

Cons

While the salary is good and bonuses during my tenure have been great, I don't like the fact that annual raises are tiny- under 3% I believe. I don't know if that would change during a year when bonuses might be limited, but think an excellent performance should merit a more substantial annual raise.

11. Quiet Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Edelman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really fun people to work with, strong internship program

Cons

Dull work, competitive employees, and small office