Edelman Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

This agency is leading the industry.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with interesting clients and a strong culture. Entrepreneurial spirit and prudent risk-taking are encouraged here. Edelman's independence makes it unlike any other agency of its size and reach. Lots of people have been here for years, which is a testament to the opportunities provided to the agency's best employees.

Cons

The agency has a tendency to bite off more than it can chew, launching far too many internal initiatives at one time that must be attended to on top of the client work. Bad behavior at the very senior levels is sometimes tolerated for too long.

Deal with bad behavior and counter-productive politics at the very senior levels. Be sure to take good care of your best employees. Dial back on all the internal initiatives.

Great place to build your career

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture with a diverse mix of smart, hard working individuals who are all passionate about the work. Generous benefits and competitive compensation. Casual environment, NY office is in a great location and easily accessible from west side subway lines. Impressive roster of clients. Excellent leadership that cares about career growth.

Cons

Its fast paced, but can sometimes feel like constant fire drill mode. Hours can be long, but nothing crazy or unusual compared to similar companies/industries. It's a tough environment for less experienced/lower level employees.

Keep up the great work.

entrepreneurial, collaborative culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman is always pushing the limits of what's possible and giving the team the tools to innovate. Fantastic culture, a commitment to work/life balance, and an aggressive strategy to promote women into leadership roles. Great clients and brands, opportunity to work on integrated communications marketing campaigns that stretch your experience and knowledge.

Cons

Fast-paced culture, must be able to multi-task and be agile each and every day.

A very satisfying experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance, open 360 degree approach

Cons

Could have more lateral growth prospects

One of the best places I've worked

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for over 10 organizations in my career and this is definitely top 2. Company culture is large and supportive but still nimble. And, for a PR firm, people are intelligent, strategic, and on top of things. Good managers and VP level leadership. Company appreciates people who don't come from a PR background which is in my opinion, the best way to differentiate. Supportive managers if you are a good employee. I have only been here for a few months and my manager is already working with me to try and get me a promotion. Fingers crossed!

Cons

Still don't understand the divide between the "digital" and "pr" practices within the firm. seems to be an org construct that doesn't reflect people's actual knowledge or abilities. I'm betting this will go away soon. Geographies also operate pretty separately but not a deal breaker, just an observation.

Get rid of digital vs pr teams. Everyone should be doing both.

Blazing a trail for the future

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented workforce. This company gets it, sees where the industry is going. Ability to meld social/traditional/digital/measurement = best-in-class. Unlimited ambition, which can be infectious (in a good way). Diversity of coworkers makes every day an adventure.

Cons

Divergence of traditional and digital mediums is both a blessing and a curse, but the savvy of our department heads stack the deck in Edelman's favor.

Continue respecting the talent and vision our junior staff embodies. They will be the leadership, soon enough.

Adrenaline ride of opportunities, deadlines and experiences

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely entrepreneurial and you have many opportunities to grow a long-lasting career that is incredibly dynamic and engaging.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, which can make it intense at times. However, we hire smart and creative people who are interested in being successful and pushing the limits for new ideas, approaches, etc.

Continue to focus on removing arbitrary barriers created internally by separate P&L structures between offices (and sometimes even within the same office).

I am happy to come to work everyday

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is good. Time-off policies are good as well. You can work from home when needed as well - they are very flexible. You just need to get your work done. There are constant opportunities to learn. People are very collaborative. Superiors are interested in helping junior level staff learn and grow. A lot of perks when working for a big company: company phone and laptop, constant free events/speakers and much more. You get to work with huge clients and learn a lot along the way. It feels like a big family network.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to make connections with colleagues since there are more than 5,000 of us. You can close with your group of colleagues though within your division. Sometimes a work-life balance can be difficult during busy times, but that is the same for other jobs as well.

Take the time to get to know the junior staff. We appreciate the effort.

One of the best career moves you can make

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office space is incredible, making employees proud to enter each and every day. Employees are bright, hard working and dedicated to achieving the impossible for clients day in and day out. Edelman understands (and encourages!) the importance of a well-balanced work/life lifestyle, which in this industry can often be forgotten. The entrepreneurial spirit employees are encouraged to take on is something that truly sets Edelman apart.

Cons

Large agency, but if you put in the work you will be rewarded.

Continue to encourage teammates and offering constructive criticism, especially to those recently joining a new team or the agency as a whole. It is never unnoticed and always highly appreciated!

The best for a reason...

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best in the business colleagues and clients. Engaged and forward leaning CEO. A truly global and truly collaborative work environment. Management all rose through the ranks and understand the job as an Account Executive and all the way up.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve. It is very easy to overload your plate.

Ensure that you continue to monitor workloads.