Edelman

Updated December 17, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful, fun filled work environment with forward looking management

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very forward looking and Industry leaders as Top Management
    Ethics and Values as top priority
    Fun filled and challanging work environment

Cons

For those who want 8 to 5 routine job, might not be correct place

Top agency, best talent, becoming a creative shop, what else could you ask for?

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of clients and I often utilize the broad network of experts you simply can't find at any other agency. We are making strides to become the lead marketing agency. The fellows program allows junior team members to transfer to international offices for one year, an amazing benefit of the agency.

Cons

Over the past few years the agency has become much more political internally within the senior leadership team. In the rare event there is a bad hire, we have historically been slow to correct the situation. Better integration across other office team is needed, especially at the practice level.

Many teams have become top heavy and we must recruit quality junior staff to support our clients. Our EdelU program seems to have stalled out, invest and have a greater emphasis on our continuing education. The MIP program is too confusing and does not reflect the senior teams investment into the business, this needs to be restructured.

I love working at Edelman. The company, the global perspective and the people keep me motivated each day.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman continually pushes the boundaries for the definition of PR. The company values high-quality client service.

Cons

At time, it seems that financial compensation is not as competitive as other agencies.

Continue to be as transparent as possible.

Welcoming, Collaborative and Talented

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Edelman only a short while and without hesitation have found the team welcoming, encouraging and talented. It's rare, in my experience, to find a team so enthusiastic about someone new to the organization and ready and willing to answer questions, get you involved, and so on. Already I'm being challenged by the work and feel very confident about the future here.

Cons

Edelman is a large organization that has maintained an entrepreneurial-like environment. Some could be challenged by the dichotomy that at the same time wants for strict process, while also a bit territorial. That said, all it really takes is an ability to flex your style and embrace the benefits (and challenges) of both.

Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

Great Experience with Edelman

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like the Edelman culture really shines through in not just day-to-day work, but hour-to-hour work. Whether it's beer and guacamole during an afternoon meeting or being able to pull in brilliant minds from other teams into meetings, "the way it is" at Edelman has fostered a lot of creativity, big ideas and excellent client service. My team has been great with time-off politices

Cons

Not a lot of cons from my view, but sometimes thoughts from the higher levels of teams (VP, SVP, EVP) only flows down to the junior staff through the AS/SAS level, which makes me left wanting a bit more direct contact with the senior staff

Really appreciate the way the office, U.S. and global leadership communicates with the employees as a whole. The review process is regular and thorough.

Best place to learn and grow with the best!

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Edelman is the best of both worlds - support of a large agency but independently owned. The people here care about two things: creating great work and working with the best.

Cons

Navigating a larger agency can be tough if you're not used to it. Take the time to learn what support and skillset you have available to you.

Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They take care of their employees. Benefits are fantastic. They prioritize professional and personal growth. The work is challenging, engaging, and fun. Office culture is top-notch.

Cons

Some processes need to be streamlined, lots of cooks in the kitchen

Edelman is a wonderful company that leads the industry in innovation.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a company with a reputation of excellence. I feel honored to work among some of the best minds in the business, and I know that I'm only learning more because of it.

Ample time off plus holidays is a big plus.

Cons

Tough industry with demanding clients. It's hardly the company's fault, and you can set your own standard of work. Some leaders will push harder than others, so if you set the standard of "always on" when you first start, you may find yourself taking on too much.

Encourage mid-leadership to look at the hours that their direct reports are putting in and cut back in some areas if possible.

All companies have issues, Edelman just has less than everyone else

Current Employee - Vice President Digital in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President Digital in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership vision and values are wonderful. Creativity and forward thinking is encouraged. Edelman strives to stay ahead of the curve through its PR roots. Great avenues around career development.

Cons

Lower on the pay scale compared to comparable companies and job descriptions. Local leadership is not in tune with Global leadership. There is fragmentation between offices (we sometimes don't work as one Edelman).

Keep up the great work. Would like to see a bit more focus on smaller offices, and how we can grow them.