Edelman

www.edelman.com
  www.edelman.com

Edelman Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.3

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 96 reviews)

More Highlights

Simply the best PR agency to work for

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great resources within the Edelman network. For any given assignment you can tap our Digital, RUTH, media services, MATTER teams, etc. for expert advice on everything from the best media contacts to roll into your outreach strategy to event logistics.

- Senior support and opportunities for advancement. The senior team leads really (for the most part) care about their employees and offer amazing opportunities to get training and experience in myriad ways including international assignments, exposure to other areas of PR, etc. based on your interests.

- Competitive compensation. While other agencies may pay a bit more, I find our pay structure to be quite competitive and fair for the market place.

- Great roster of clients. If you want to work on big, global brands, Edelman is your agency. From Unilever to HP, we have a host of clients with which we work on across the globe. And some big names in the U.S. too including Best Buy and Brita.

Cons

- Like any PR agency, there can be internal politics and challenges although I honestly don't think these are that bad considering our size.

- Work/life balance can get a bit more tipped to the work side of things from time to time but they do try and give you a break if you've been on a very intense account for awhile.

Continue to offer amazing opportunities and resources for your employees, ensure that staff are treated fairly and nicely, continue to push for new business wins in key category areas.

Compensation much too low; poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Good team
    Looks great on a resume
    Prepares you for any other Pr firm
    Beautiful roof deck

Cons

Very long hours resulting in poor work/life balance
    Pay is horrendous for the hours-complete exploitation
    Expected to dedicate life to job to get ahead
    Pay raises are small/promotions are difficult to obtain

A little less micromanaging would be better

Excellent internship program. Great way to get your foot in the door.

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman

Pros

The brand recognition of Edelman alone is worth your time, but fortunately the internship program is very strong. Hard work is noticed and rewarded. The culture is collaborative and very enjoyable. Great internship program.

Cons

You have to work hard to prove yourself, which is fair. Unless you've graduated, the internship is unpaid, which is a huge downside. Worth it in the end though.

Pay your interns, all of them.

Edelman is a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

There is room for upward mobility

Cons

Edelman needs more management bootcamp

The company is a great company to work with

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Love the focus of the work - public relations.

Cons

The managers really didn't know how to handle new employees and, some of them didn't even know what the old employee did and could not or would not take the time to show the new employee what was need.

A great place to start your PR career

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Edelman has an amazing training program and access to some of the best resources. Everyone who works at Edelman is very driven, intelligent and hungry with ambition. This is a great company to start your PR career. You will have the opportunity to work on some really top-tier clients. Edelman is also a great company to put on your resume as they are one of the top PR agencies in the world.

Cons

There is a lot of politics and red tape at Edelman. Promotions and requests to change teams/offices (a benefit they push) can take a long time and requires a lot of work from the employee. You can often get lost in the shuffle. Employees that have been there for several years are often overlooked for promotions and pushed aside. Many people have had to threaten to leave to get the promotions they deserve. The pay is not good and the hours are very long.

Don't get so caught up in meeting corporate numbers, reviews, hours, etc. that you forget to reward the people who are working in the trenches. A small token of appreciation and recognition goes a long way!

It's been a great place to start my career

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

-great people with lots of talent
    -good office dynamic
    -great clients to work on

Cons

-limited opportunity for advancement
    -limited salary increases

-you need to pay and promote employees to retain them

It is a good place to work--stable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Stable--people are outgoing and generally hard-working

Cons

Could gain from more exposure to more projects

Be inclusive and allow staff to have growth opportunities

Lots of work but will learn a lot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

-Variety of projects you get to work on so you do get experience on real consumer facing work
    -Medical & Dental benefits are great
    -Perks like free fruit daily & "social" gatherings every month
    -People can be reserved or in a clique but once you get to know them they are not so bad

Cons

-Communication is horrible when working on projects in between cross-functional teams
    -Management seems to have no concern for a project that has a very tight deadline and you are told to deal with it.
    -You are invited to a meeting and not given a reason why you are there and then asked to do x,y.z

Please train project managers and strategy people to provide better defined project goals.

Edelman was busy, but an awesome culture and great people made it all worth it.

Current Employee - Public Relations Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Public Relations Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Imagine a work environment where you're recognized for your hard work and overtime, praised for taking initiative and speaking your mind, and encouraged to balance your life and work as best you can - that's Edelman. My management was excellent, co-workers were cool, and I learned more about business at Edelman than any of my previous positions. It was non-stop busy in my department, but the days flew by! If you're offered a position at this company, I highly recommend taking the job.

Cons

The department and position I worked in was very busy and often felt under staffed. Some days I left with my head throbbing but, of course, most jobs are like that once in a while.

The management style at Edelman Chicago is great. It was obvious in my department that management communicated regularly and rarely let pressing staff issues fester. Well done! One suggestion might be a bit more diversity, especially at the top, but I think that goes for most organizations.