Edelman Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Senior Insights Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Insights Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great, everyone is very welcoming and really enjoy spending time with each other. The company continues to have that family feel. The work is challenging but they trust that you will be able to do your job well.

Cons

Internal communication can sometimes be a issue, people are very busy and things often end up getting changed last minute.

Great people doing great work

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Private Company- Fewer hurdles to get things done, quicker turnaround for ideas and change
    Amazing People- The people at Edelman are brilliant and passionate about what they do.

Cons

Sometimes the size of Edelman can affect internal communications and the flow of information.

Position with an exceptional range of duties and collaboration with exceptionally talented colleagues

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. Edelman is an adventurous agency that invests in fresh technologies because its CEO is truly a master at identifying cutting-edge advances in communications and puts funds behind testing them out.
    2. The range of opportunities, with clients large and small, makes the job so interesting and enjoyable.
    3. Colleagues are, for the most part, smart and collaborative and very interesting.
    4. Edelman is making an earnest effort to enlist employees and its own treasury to give back.
    5. I simply enjoy coming to work every day -- and that hasn't happened in a long career of work elsewhere.

Cons

1. I'm paid squarely but younger, newer colleagues complain that salaries are below the industry average and promotions often take longer than they expected.
    2. The agency has grown so large so fast that it must ensure that employees and their careers don't get shortchanged.

Continue to take the steps being taken to stay ahead of the pack, committed to doing good, making the workplace collegial, shooing away or better training poor managers with bad management practices and abusive language. (But those are very few and far less than when I joined eight years ago.

Welcoming, Collaborative and Talented

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Edelman only a short while and without hesitation have found the team welcoming, encouraging and talented. It's rare, in my experience, to find a team so enthusiastic about someone new to the organization and ready and willing to answer questions, get you involved, and so on. Already I'm being challenged by the work and feel very confident about the future here.

Cons

Edelman is a large organization that has maintained an entrepreneurial-like environment. Some could be challenged by the dichotomy that at the same time wants for strict process, while also a bit territorial. That said, all it really takes is an ability to flex your style and embrace the benefits (and challenges) of both.

Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

Great Experience with Edelman

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like the Edelman culture really shines through in not just day-to-day work, but hour-to-hour work. Whether it's beer and guacamole during an afternoon meeting or being able to pull in brilliant minds from other teams into meetings, "the way it is" at Edelman has fostered a lot of creativity, big ideas and excellent client service. My team has been great with time-off politices

Cons

Not a lot of cons from my view, but sometimes thoughts from the higher levels of teams (VP, SVP, EVP) only flows down to the junior staff through the AS/SAS level, which makes me left wanting a bit more direct contact with the senior staff

Really appreciate the way the office, U.S. and global leadership communicates with the employees as a whole. The review process is regular and thorough.

Best place to learn and grow with the best!

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Edelman is the best of both worlds - support of a large agency but independently owned. The people here care about two things: creating great work and working with the best.

Cons

Navigating a larger agency can be tough if you're not used to it. Take the time to learn what support and skillset you have available to you.

World Class Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to work for the premier PR employer this is it. Incredible, ethical culture. The smartest people. The best client roster. And it's never satisfied and it is the firm pushing the industry forward.

Cons

Some turf wars, but less so than in recent years. Some executive turnover. Work/life balance is a struggle at times but improving.

Keep the culture in tact. Don't ignore what got us to where we are as we map out the future.

Edelman is the best. We're a family of entrepeneurs who work hard and smart to live up to our well-deserved reputation.

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't imagine a reason to leave Edelman. I've stayed with the company through moves from NYC to Tampa to DC. There's great opportunity to grow and even shift specialties within the company, really choosing your own adventure. Our colleagues and clients are great. What's more, work-life balance is definitely achievable, and we are very fairly compensated between salary and bonuses.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

N/A

Smart & Driven

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart people and ample resources. With a wide variety of opportunities, there's always something to learn.

Cons

Often highly intense, very visible work and a very pace sometimes leads to balls being dropped. Strategic adjustments to changing marketplace have been hit and miss.Ironically, could use more effective internal communications.

Value are positive and there's some attention to work-life balance. Overall, management is doing a good job.