Edelman

Updated November 19, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 96 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional fulfilling and extremely educational

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance encouraged, amazing employees, encouraging culture, great overall company

Cons

The on-boarding process could be improved

Don't lose sight of the entire employee scope -- from intern to VP, we all contribute massively.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Edelman provides an exciting dynamic environment where ideas are valued, and there are opportunities to work in different offices and in different areas of the business.

Cons

Lacking in company SOPs, would be great to share knowledge more frequently with internal teams.

Mandate that everyone use the server.

A strong and integrated network of individuals who are all smart, hard-working and willing to put in the extra effort.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of support and resources to build your career, clear career pathing, wonderful support for women in the workplace, great people, clear vision for the company

Cons

Not all teams are located in one office, making it difficult to have face to face conversations and "hallway" chats which are so important to building culture

Get the correct resources in place for future growth

Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They take care of their employees. Benefits are fantastic. They prioritize professional and personal growth. The work is challenging, engaging, and fun. Office culture is top-notch.

Cons

Some processes need to be streamlined, lots of cooks in the kitchen

Edelman is a wonderful company that leads the industry in innovation.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a company with a reputation of excellence. I feel honored to work among some of the best minds in the business, and I know that I'm only learning more because of it.

Ample time off plus holidays is a big plus.

Cons

Tough industry with demanding clients. It's hardly the company's fault, and you can set your own standard of work. Some leaders will push harder than others, so if you set the standard of "always on" when you first start, you may find yourself taking on too much.

Encourage mid-leadership to look at the hours that their direct reports are putting in and cut back in some areas if possible.

All companies have issues, Edelman just has less than everyone else

Current Employee - Vice President Digital in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President Digital in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership vision and values are wonderful. Creativity and forward thinking is encouraged. Edelman strives to stay ahead of the curve through its PR roots. Great avenues around career development.

Cons

Lower on the pay scale compared to comparable companies and job descriptions. Local leadership is not in tune with Global leadership. There is fragmentation between offices (we sometimes don't work as one Edelman).

Keep up the great work. Would like to see a bit more focus on smaller offices, and how we can grow them.

Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Senior Insights Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Insights Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great, everyone is very welcoming and really enjoy spending time with each other. The company continues to have that family feel. The work is challenging but they trust that you will be able to do your job well.

Cons

Internal communication can sometimes be a issue, people are very busy and things often end up getting changed last minute.

Great people doing great work

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Private Company- Fewer hurdles to get things done, quicker turnaround for ideas and change
    Amazing People- The people at Edelman are brilliant and passionate about what they do.

Cons

Sometimes the size of Edelman can affect internal communications and the flow of information.

Position with an exceptional range of duties and collaboration with exceptionally talented colleagues

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. Edelman is an adventurous agency that invests in fresh technologies because its CEO is truly a master at identifying cutting-edge advances in communications and puts funds behind testing them out.
    2. The range of opportunities, with clients large and small, makes the job so interesting and enjoyable.
    3. Colleagues are, for the most part, smart and collaborative and very interesting.
    4. Edelman is making an earnest effort to enlist employees and its own treasury to give back.
    5. I simply enjoy coming to work every day -- and that hasn't happened in a long career of work elsewhere.

Cons

1. I'm paid squarely but younger, newer colleagues complain that salaries are below the industry average and promotions often take longer than they expected.
    2. The agency has grown so large so fast that it must ensure that employees and their careers don't get shortchanged.

Continue to take the steps being taken to stay ahead of the pack, committed to doing good, making the workplace collegial, shooing away or better training poor managers with bad management practices and abusive language. (But those are very few and far less than when I joined eight years ago.

World Class Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to work for the premier PR employer this is it. Incredible, ethical culture. The smartest people. The best client roster. And it's never satisfied and it is the firm pushing the industry forward.

Cons

Some turf wars, but less so than in recent years. Some executive turnover. Work/life balance is a struggle at times but improving.

Keep the culture in tact. Don't ignore what got us to where we are as we map out the future.