Edelman

Life is Pretty Good Here

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I came to Edelman after being burnt out on agency life, and was surprised to like it so much. Originally my plan was to stay a year for the name on my resume and then leave, but now I don't know... Everyone is really nice and supportive. There are so many learning opportunities. Work life balance is real. There are interesting projects to work on, and you don't get locked into the same thing. If there is something you are interested in, you can make it happen through sheer will and entrepreneurial spirit. Lateral moves within the company are quite common. Also, all the people who have left have gone on to really great jobs.

Cons

The one thing that makes me consider leaving is the PAY. It's abysmal. Edelman can get away with it because it is Edelman.

Also, the company feels a bit top heavy. There are so many VPs going on about what great work they've done, when most of the grunt work is done by junior employees.

Make your pay more competitive with the industry standards.

Career opportunity with lots of room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, frequent raises/promotions, collaborative environment, room for creativity and self expression, opportunity to go far and gain expertise in multiple markets.

Cons

Low pay at junior level, long work hours.

Amazing Company

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

- prestigious
    - great pay for pr
    - fun and collaborative colleagues

Cons

- long hours
    - some favoritism
    - sink or swim environment

Welcoming, Collaborative and Talented

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Edelman only a short while and without hesitation have found the team welcoming, encouraging and talented. It's rare, in my experience, to find a team so enthusiastic about someone new to the organization and ready and willing to answer questions, get you involved, and so on. Already I'm being challenged by the work and feel very confident about the future here.

Cons

Edelman is a large organization that has maintained an entrepreneurial-like environment. Some could be challenged by the dichotomy that at the same time wants for strict process, while also a bit territorial. That said, all it really takes is an ability to flex your style and embrace the benefits (and challenges) of both.

Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

Great Experience with Edelman

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I feel like the Edelman culture really shines through in not just day-to-day work, but hour-to-hour work. Whether it's beer and guacamole during an afternoon meeting or being able to pull in brilliant minds from other teams into meetings, "the way it is" at Edelman has fostered a lot of creativity, big ideas and excellent client service. My team has been great with time-off politices

Cons

Not a lot of cons from my view, but sometimes thoughts from the higher levels of teams (VP, SVP, EVP) only flows down to the junior staff through the AS/SAS level, which makes me left wanting a bit more direct contact with the senior staff

Really appreciate the way the office, U.S. and global leadership communicates with the employees as a whole. The review process is regular and thorough.

Best place to learn and grow with the best!

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Edelman is the best of both worlds - support of a large agency but independently owned. The people here care about two things: creating great work and working with the best.

Cons

Navigating a larger agency can be tough if you're not used to it. Take the time to learn what support and skillset you have available to you.

The most challenging and rewarding experience I've had.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, upward mobility if you work hard. People who are successful are rewarded accordingly, always merit based.

Cons

Challenging work/life balance but manageable.

This agency is leading the industry.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with interesting clients and a strong culture. Entrepreneurial spirit and prudent risk-taking are encouraged here. Edelman's independence makes it unlike any other agency of its size and reach. Lots of people have been here for years, which is a testament to the opportunities provided to the agency's best employees.

Cons

The agency has a tendency to bite off more than it can chew, launching far too many internal initiatives at one time that must be attended to on top of the client work. Bad behavior at the very senior levels is sometimes tolerated for too long.

Deal with bad behavior and counter-productive politics at the very senior levels. Be sure to take good care of your best employees. Dial back on all the internal initiatives.

A very satisfying experience

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, open 360 degree approach

Cons

Could have more lateral growth prospects