Edelman

Edelman Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated May 27, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 90 reviews)

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best PR agency around. Period.

Senior Account Supervisor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Creative environment with diverse set of employees
    -Impressive and exciting client list
    -Difference-making IP
    -Culture of client partnerships
    -Emphasis on work/life balance
    -Opportunities for growth

Cons-Salaries tend to stay low; management knows Edelman is a sough-after place and salaries seem to be curbed accordingly compared to competition

Advice to Senior Management-Continue building on the enriching environment you've created for your employees
    -For the right people, be ready to invest with $ without having to play a lot of the "negotiation game"

Great company, really smart people, fast paced!

Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsChallenging, great minds, top flight work. Training is exceptional, leadership cares and listens, strong HR support, very good experience, but be ready to be challenged, it's an entrepreneurial environment!

ConsHyper paced, sometimes frenetic work culture. Information overload at times, many creative initiatives compete for people's attention, can be took much going on to focus

Stellar people

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEdelman is full of very smart people that drive you to do something different every day. That push allows you to learn a lot and take wonderful risks. I love working here! This is a wonderful place to build a career.

ConsThe work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

enlightening

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosthe people are great there

Conscompensation for hours spent working

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great place to grow your career and work with really smart people.

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you're entrepreneurial, this is a great place to get started. High-profile and fun clients, extremely smart leadership, opportunities for growth outside of your expert area, access to network-wide resources to make you better at your job.

ConsIf you aren't entrepreneurial, easy to slip through the cracks. Have heard that some managers focus more on their own career progress than on those they manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to inspire junior staff by trusting them and giving them opportunities to work with higher-level execs.

Phenomenal place to learn, grow and change the face of the industry if the culture fits your personality

EVP (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you're constantly curious, smart and never settle for the status quo, Edelman is your dream employer.

ConsIf you're looking for 9 to 5, 'tenure' or culture that allows for people to rest on their laurels, this is not the place for you. While not 9 to 5, hugely flexible in what your work life can look like IF you earn the right. And, more importantly, continue to earn the right every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're headed in all the right directions culturally, please keep the pressure on that pedal.

An Experience for the Resume

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAt Edelman, you have access to interesting clients and budgets as well as the opportunity to make a name for yourself as an internal expert if you're willing and able to share your POV.

If you have a great manager, you'll have a great experience.

ConsIt's a corporate job, with the corresponding structure and limitations. If you're part of the tech practice but aren't using the latest tech, it can make for a frustrating experience. Some of the tech platforms used day-to-day are ~3-5 years behind innovative companies. This lag is also reflected in the services offered to clients.

There's more variance in digital skills and a clear gap in what clients want, is sold in, and able to deliver, but that should iron itself out over time as more consultants develop digital expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf mid-level management has three junior reports churn out within 9 months, you might want to figure out why.

Big picture agency-wise, you're evolving to meet market demands.

Keeping pace with how business is done

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexibility, open-minded approach to work styles, telecommuting, unique arrangements that work for all parties. Ever-present focus on client satisfaction and excellence.

ConsLong hours, not much down time or slow seasons- but that may be a good thing for job security!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hold on to employees who create a negative atmosphere for many.

Great people to work with, under-compensated

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people who push you to grow and will help you develop a job into a career. If you're good, they'll be really flexible when you request an account or office change.

ConsSeverely underpaid when compared to other digital agencies or in-house opportunities. The SF economy has sky-rocketed in the last 3-4 years and rent has gone with it. Unfortunately, Edelman has not kept up with these increases. For this reason, we lose good people to other jobs quite often. In San Francisco, retaining good talent comes down to pay. That's just how it is right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to maintaining great talent through more substantial salary increases.

Cretive space with great people.

ACD (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI love it here - everyone has a voice, and all ideas are encouraged. It's a creative space with great people, and they are very work/life balanced. You can actually have a personal life, too, when you work here.

ConsIt's still a bit too heavy on the out-of-date PR model, so creatives have two sets of "clients" still. They ARE working on this, however, so i believe this will be different by this time next year.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!