Edelman

Updated January 22, 2015
4.5

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Smart people in a very big company

Current Employee - SAE in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SAE in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers are smart, fun and clever. lots of resources globally and abroad. large network allows for great insights across practices, traditional and digital PR as well as marketing

Cons

sometimes easy to get lost in the shuffle

keep doing what you're doing

Edelman - great client service, good career opportunities but heavy workloads and focus on profits

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman has good opportunities for growth if you are aggressive and push hard for advancement. It has a wide network of offices and specialty practices and managers are usually open to transfer requests. Company encourages professional growth and education. Employees are smart, dedicated, and hard working - everyone brings something unique to the table at Edelman and clients are served very well.

Cons

Work is demanding, the hours are long and salaries are low compared to industry standards. Focus is on increasing profits. Easy to get lost in the company if you don't make the effort to network and stand out, there are plenty of others that can take your place. Company touts work/life balance but workloads and local managers don't support that. Day-to-day contact with local executives/GMs is very limited and they are not in touch with what's happening in local offices.

Local executive management should provide more oversight to local senior management, encourage work/life balance.

A breath of fresh air. I'm beyond happy being here.

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly inclusive culture. People are fun and social and welcoming. I feel respected, encouraged, and supported in my role here. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this team. Edelman is doing some groundbreaking things--no longer just in the PR world, they are a social agency doing advertising and interdisciplinary marketing for huge brands. I'm honored to be a part of it.

Cons

I honestly don't have much to complain about. We work in a very competitive industry, so there are (of course) late nights and difficult client demands, but that's just par for the course. Everyone brings their A game and hustles to make a contribution.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great company, dynamic, creative and talented co-workers, terrific clients, fabulous opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman has a well-deserved stellar reputation in the PR industry. The client list is stellar, your co-workers are all rock-stars, the atmosphere is nurturing and they respect your work-life balance.

Cons

While the salary is good and bonuses during my tenure have been great, I don't like the fact that annual raises are tiny- under 3% I believe. I don't know if that would change during a year when bonuses might be limited, but think an excellent performance should merit a more substantial annual raise.

Big company with the feel of a small family

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My number one reason is that we have extremely exciting clients - I love working on accounts that make a dent in the world. On top of that, we have great benefits, smart people, and a culture that makes me enjoy spending time at work.

Cons

Not much - there are certainly high demands for success which can make things challenging, but I think that's to be expected in this profession.

We have pretty good retention rates overall, but I wonder if there's more that could be done to retain quality mid-level talent around the AS level from leaving - I hate seeing my friends and smart colleagues leave so regularly.

The best talent I've seen in a while.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Edelman provides both a roadmap for your career as well as the freedom to explore other avenues should you choose. The talent pool and access to resources is unparalleled and client satisfaction is overall very high. The Edelman team definitely knows their stuff.

Cons

Definitely political. Getting to know the right people, asking the right questions and making your voice heard are important to your success here. The culture is very entrepreneurial. If you like taking orders or are afraid to speak up or share ideas, this isn't your place.

Continue to look for growth opportunities for those reporting to you. Recognize burnout before it is a problem and one person's negativity affects the culture of the office.

One of the best places I've worked

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for over 10 organizations in my career and this is definitely top 2. Company culture is large and supportive but still nimble. And, for a PR firm, people are intelligent, strategic, and on top of things. Good managers and VP level leadership. Company appreciates people who don't come from a PR background which is in my opinion, the best way to differentiate. Supportive managers if you are a good employee. I have only been here for a few months and my manager is already working with me to try and get me a promotion. Fingers crossed!

Cons

Still don't understand the divide between the "digital" and "pr" practices within the firm. seems to be an org construct that doesn't reflect people's actual knowledge or abilities. I'm betting this will go away soon. Geographies also operate pretty separately but not a deal breaker, just an observation.

Get rid of digital vs pr teams. Everyone should be doing both.

Career opportunity with lots of room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, frequent raises/promotions, collaborative environment, room for creativity and self expression, opportunity to go far and gain expertise in multiple markets.

Cons

Low pay at junior level, long work hours.

Amazing career opportunities if you go grab them

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman truly does have some of the best in the business working here and the bench is very deep. The opportunities to learn from experts are vast, whether you want to know about financial communications, paid media, digital, celebrity sponsorships you name it, there is someone here that can teach you (and your clients) about it. If you put yourself out there and actively try to make connections within the agency, especially with senior leadership, you will be rewarded with strong experiences, promotions and direct feedback and mentorship in whatever direction interests you.

Cons

It is fairly easy to fall into mediocrity and be lost in this big agency. If you're keeping clients happy, especially a larger client, then you're often just let be to do your thing. Many managers won't push people if they're doing a good job at their baseline tasks. In order to really grow and experience the best parts of Edelman you have to be proactive and go and grab something above and beyond your current remit, otherwise it's too easy to be lost in this large company. An entrepreneurial, go getter spirit is very rewarded at Edelman, everything else is kind of ignored.

Senior management has a strong vision for the company, but it's not always communicated all the way down how we can have an impact. Tell even AAEs how they can get involved in making a new business goal a reality, make the tasks specific and the barrier low to getting people involved in the 'above and beyond' and you'll likely find a lot more superstars popping up. I think we loose quality talent that could be "superstar" but they are perhaps quiet and aren't clamoring for opportunities, so we never get a chance to see them shine. The squeaky wheels, who may not be the most talented, generally get the opportunities.

Largely positive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, good brands, great perks for agency life.

Cons

Work/life balance largely depends on accounts/management.

Senior management should take heed of team morale. While the client is "always right" -- sometimes clients are toxic and not worthy of Edelman's time. Teams should not be demoralized for these types of relationships.