Edelman

Edelman Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 50 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 109 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 89 reviews)

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Smart, growth-oriented company with very talented people

Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEveryday getting to work with really smart people to solve difficult problems for some of the leading companies and organizations. Unlike public firms, Edelman still feels very much like a family company. Much respect for the business ethics of the leadership.

ConsIt's a fast-paced, get it done and get it right attitude. This means working after-hours and responding to email and phone calls during times of client urgencies. If you are not accustomed to that lifestyle it can be a difficult place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead, continue to push employees but always listen... to everyone at all levels.

What you make . . . or don't make . . . of it

Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFor the truly motivated this is a great place to work, and there's no ceiling for dedicated, hard workers.

ConsThis all assumes you want to be a consultant. Edelman can be a great company but you're still a consultant, which means on call for clients 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more investment hires. Too often we're strapped working double duty because of the time it takes to justify a hire, get a job req approved, and then actually find the right person.

Great Place to Work

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEdelman is heads above other public relations agencies. It's general HR policies are enlightened and compensation is generally better than the competition.

ConsThe demands of the public relations industry make work-life balance difficult to achieve. In some ways, management is still an old boys' network.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure women's compensation is equal to men's.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to launch your career

Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSmart, ambitious people; range of opportunities, as long as you are vocal and have supportive managers.

ConsSalary for junior staff is low.

Pretty good

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAmazing people, good collaboration, challenging.

ConsI don't have one. Maybe better clients?

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys rock

Everything is perfect -- except salary could be better

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLeadership, values and clients -- we are given an opportunity every single day to partake in some of the most exciting work going on in America and all over the world and when you factor in the greatness of what goes on inside the office -- the internal relationships we're building with our leaders and with each other -- Edelman is absolutely the best place to work.

ConsSalary for lower level employees -- it's not terrible but it's not exactly that attractive, especially when compared to that received by the same level employees at other businesses and in other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing -- the Edelman DC senior level management is best in class.

Fast-paced, demanding work environment that values strategic and creative thinking and offers endless opportunities.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEdelman offeres its employees big clients, big resources and big ideas
    The company invests a lot in career growth opportunities
    Always learning/improving

ConsWork/life balance
    Salary
    Disconnect between senior management and junior staff
    Competitiveness over new work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe present; don't consistently cancel or shuffle meetings that aren't priority; don't miss an opportunity to provide feedback

Challenging, Rewarding, Constantly-Evolving

Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWhen they say it's an entrepreneurial environment...they mean it. It's a major company, but still scrappy like a start-up in many respects. The people, and the camaraderie among them, can't be beat. And the company treats their employees well and truly has a "family" feel to it...it's the rare sort of place where people still can, and want to, build long-term careers.

ConsInternal structure lacks clarity and seems to be constantly changing. The ability to be flexible and adaptable is commendable, but at some point, there has to be some consistency and commitment to a path.

Advice to Senior Management1) Give a long, hard look at fiscal structure throughout the organization. In an ideal world, we would adopt a set-up that ensures clients always get the best service, and thus continue to give us their business year after year. As it stands, certain aspects beget infighting and territorial behavior and ultimately do the company a huge disservice. 2) Help staff understand the business-side of account work, and Edelman, from an early level. 3) Continue to reward great work and ideas and embrace a strong work-life balance culture to retain the best staff.

Working at Edelman is like eating homemade apple pie...it's good and good for you (mostly).

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEdelman supports risk taking and guided independence.

ConsEdelman has not yet cleared up the confusion between "digital" as a channel versus a practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementEdelman needs to figure out a way to reward cross-office client/revenue sharing.

Everyone seemed happy during my interview and they really are!

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEdelman is an outstanding company that values and cultivates leadership and skill building.

ConsAs with any agency, client work can make it difficult to maintain a strong work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to strengthen your mentorship programs.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!