Edelman

Edelman Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 90 reviews)

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great learning experience, but a lot of politics and favoritism"

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHands on learning experience
    Breadth of practice areas
    Ability to cross collaborate with other offices
    Reputation
    Transparent internal department and office transfers
    Colleagues and environment
    Entrepreneurial spirit
    Events

ConsPolitics - but this is to be expected at any corporation
    Favoritism - HUGE issue. Management cannot see what happens when they favor one colleague over another. Resentment from other colleagues
    Salary - on the low end for experience level
    Management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not put direct reports into buckets; listen to your team and reviews. Train harder to become more effective. Great managers with the ability to manage and coach should uplift and motivate direct reports. There are some great managers here; retention starts with an employee who is happy.

Incredible company to learn the ropes of PR, but pay is horrible.

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsConstant learning opportunities, well experienced leadership, opportunity to do work that's higher than your "level."

ConsDemanding hours, almost unlivable pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the junior staff more and reward them with compensation for the work they do.

A great place to build a career.

Executive Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe people are amazing, smart, creative and invested in the success of the company. I am continually amazed at the level of work and creativity shown by my colleagues across the globe. Edelman is a place to build a career.

ConsAt times, the offices can be competitive with each other and seem to be out of sync--especially when it comes to building the right teams, with the right expertise from across the network. Some of this can be attributed to the confidence and pride in one's individual "home" team, but can also come across as greedy and self-serving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not always about the big wins, stay focused on the quality of the business and the ongoing service we provide to our clients. Also, reward those who work collaboratively and continue to incent teams to work cross-office. Continue to consider others beyond the "usual suspects" for the bigger and more interesting roles at Edelman.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, quality work

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosfast-paced, interesting clients, team produces cutting-edge work, people are friendly and fun

Conslong hours at times and on certain projects, pay is competitive within the industry, but low in general

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is working on transparency, and this is a wonderful direction to move in

Abusive with no integrity

Associate Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWas allowed work from home

ConsWas hired in a contract to hire position. Immediate need was to help with a launch which was to happen in a few weeks. Soon after launch, I was summarily terminated with no reason despite the fact that just the prior day I was praised for my efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying and preying on unsuspecting folks

good people, inefficient system

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Proslots of opportunity to work on different products. I was able to move around and explore different sectors.

ConsI had about 8 different bosses in two different offices. Too much like "Office Space." Was there in the middle of the recession and they couldn't hold on to many people. Also, hours were ridiculous.

Great destination for hard workers looking to gain invaluable experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, top clients, forward-thinking vision and excellent management.

ConsLong hours and modest compensation.

Fun and professional environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEmployees are highly valued - great benefits.
    Employees like to, and are encouraged to, have fun - several team and company activities every month.
    It is a fun yet very professional environment.

ConsSometimes employees are a little too accomodating to the client. Boundaries need to be set with the client to minimize extreme demands and clients need to be held accountable for missing deadlines.

Lots of opportunity, lots of work

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTeamwork is highly valued at Edelman, and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in projects that seem interesting. There's also a great culture, where the office provides opportunities to get to know co-workers, and employees enjoy spending time together.

ConsSalaries are lower than other professions, at least at the junior level, and hours can be long.

good experience for a first job out of college

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgood benefits, work with major clients

ConsCan get very repetitive boring

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!