Edelman Reviews

Reset
4.3
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Work life balance is good as well (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

1. Internship

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible Culture
    Real-world work
    Interns are valued as true team members
    True ability to grow

Cons

Long hours
    Low starting salary
    You must pay your dues, but that is expected in a large agency.

Advice to Management

I think that the HR department has room for improvement.

2. Assistant Account Executive

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Hands down some of the best clients in the industry - so you'll get an advantage of building out your resume. People are willing to share advice and sit down with you, if you ask for it.

Cons

Salary much below the market. You have to manage your career from the very first day you become full-time, otherwise you will be left behind and looked over for promotions - which acts as a nod for you to seek employment elsewhere. Highly political, more career management than work. It gets exhausting quickly.

Advice to Management

A lot of turnover on both a junior and a senior level should speak volumes about the direction of the company. Look deep and hard into what is happening in the internal culture and where Edelman wants to position itself. Pay junior staffers more if you want to retain talent...but then again, it's another great indication of how fast people are leaving.

3. Truly Entrepreneurial

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic, smart people. Tremendous room for growth. Enviable client roster.

Cons

Typical challenges associated with client service; they pay big bucks and therefor expect miracles. Increasing bureaucracy from corporate...trying to shove our messy and organic work into tidy processes.

Advice to Management

If you truly want to "Edelute"--look to fiscal structures first. Client needs will never be the first consideration if groups are competing internally for portions of the pie. Our lack of diversity is troubling. And people are beyond sick of internal marketing campaigns, which have a proven track record of starting with a bang and ending with a whimper.

Strong company challenged by scale, leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will learn from some of the best in your field. You will work on the biggest brands or biggest challenges facing any industry. You'll be challenged by your peers and clients alike. You will work hard and be compensated well.

You will also have extraordinary flexibility in your career; the firm (generally) recognizes that value comes in many shapes and sizes and that you are more effective if you're passionate so there are amazing opportunities to try new things, travel to new places, to take chances or chart your own course.

There is still a family atmosphere, and Richard cares deeply about that part of the culture.

Despite the cons below, Edelman remains the best of the big firms. Whatever her challenges, they aren't the ones driven by public holding companies that focus on short-term thinking and treat employees like rows on a spreadsheet.

Cons

The company defies logic when it comes to growing at scale, but at the same time there are real cracks under the surface.

-Upper management (office-heads and up) has become extraordinarily political and more focused on "management" then leadership or client work. Understandable at many levels given the pressures of growing big things. Unfortunately they are also pretty homogeneous when it comes to philosophical outlook; not a problem if you're well on the political left, but challenging if you're on the center-right.

-Layers and layers. Five years ago, Dan Edelman's mantra of "everyone is an account executive" rang true. Today, not nearly as much. The firm has added large numbers of "operations" people, "practice" people, and other kinds of people that don't really face clients as a key part of their job. Unclear how much value they bring, but HOLY COW CAN THEY WRITE LONG EMAILS OUTLINING SMALL CHANGES.

-Bad apples. Everyone has them. Edelman seems to have some at the very top of the chain. From abusive to unethical, it's unclear how the very top doesn't see them clearly for what they are. Suspending one is a good down payment.

Advice to Management

Add some diversity of THOUGHT to the executive committee. Stop rewarding operators and bureaucrats. Spend more time asking "what's good for the client?" than "what's good for my agenda?"

My 6 Month Internship in the D.C. Office

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Big clients- Hilton, Walmart, Pepse, Adobe, Dannon, etc.
    Big office- many people to connect with and learn from
    In the heart of D.C.
    Edelman Learning Institute classes- hearing from & meeting experts
    Nice perks like endless coffee and ice cream on Fridays
    Was paid $12.25 an hour + time and a half for over time.

Cons

At least 30 interns any given week
    Most of the time you are isolated from the "real" employees.All interns are sectioned off in rooms together.
    Work follows you home.
    Not a steady rhythm- either stressed and pulling your hair out or bored and twiddling you thumbs.
    Getting a full-time position mostly depends on timing, luck of the draw.
    Lots of drinking in the office (maybe that is a pro to you though).

Advice to Management

Give more feedback. Meet with interns regularly. Give the intern a written review at the end of their internship.

7. Keeps you on your toes...

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, innovative, creative, fast-paced, fun, engaging, office culture

Cons

work-life balance, lots of travel

Advice to Management

There needs to be greater connection between the firm's most senior leadership and younger employees. I see good interaction between these groups on the local level but very little interaction with the firm's top level.

8. Amazing firm to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for mobility and exploring your interests, talented people, interesting projects. If you can get in, I would absolutely recommend working here.

Cons

Compensation at a lower level could be much better.

Advice to Management

The only advice is to realize that the junior staff is the bloodline of the firm as we generate a lot of work - even small increases, or bonuses, will be an improvement.

9. It's a fast-paced work environment that is constantly challenging me and keeping me on my toes.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They promote a good work-life balance at Edelman, and they have awesome office perks like free ice cream in the DC office on Fridays and an Edelman softball team that plays other PR companies. The work is always challenging but very rewarding.

Cons

Oftentimes, working for clients leads to late/early hours and long working days. Also, until you get to some of the upper levels, it has lower pay than some other comparable jobs.

10. Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

11. Edelman is the best. We're a family of entrepeneurs who work hard and smart to live up to our well-deserved reputation.

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't imagine a reason to leave Edelman. I've stayed with the company through moves from NYC to Tampa to DC. There's great opportunity to grow and even shift specialties within the company, really choosing your own adventure. Our colleagues and clients are great. What's more, work-life balance is definitely achievable, and we are very fairly compensated between salary and bonuses.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Advice to Management

N/A

Showing 91 of 1,085 reviews