Edelman Reviews

1. Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

2. Strong company challenged by scale, leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will learn from some of the best in your field. You will work on the biggest brands or biggest challenges facing any industry. You'll be challenged by your peers and clients alike. You will work hard and be compensated well.

You will also have extraordinary flexibility in your career; the firm (generally) recognizes that value comes in many shapes and sizes and that you are more effective if you're passionate so there are amazing opportunities to try new things, travel to new places, to take chances or chart your own course.

There is still a family atmosphere, and Richard cares deeply about that part of the culture.

Despite the cons below, Edelman remains the best of the big firms. Whatever her challenges, they aren't the ones driven by public holding companies that focus on short-term thinking and treat employees like rows on a spreadsheet.

Cons

The company defies logic when it comes to growing at scale, but at the same time there are real cracks under the surface.

-Upper management (office-heads and up) has become extraordinarily political and more focused on "management" then leadership or client work. Understandable at many levels given the pressures of growing big things. Unfortunately they are also pretty homogeneous when it comes to philosophical outlook; not a problem if you're well on the political left, but challenging if you're on the center-right.

-Layers and layers. Five years ago, Dan Edelman's mantra of "everyone is an account executive" rang true. Today, not nearly as much. The firm has added large numbers of "operations" people, "practice" people, and other kinds of people that don't really face clients as a key part of their job. Unclear how much value they bring, but HOLY COW CAN THEY WRITE LONG EMAILS OUTLINING SMALL CHANGES.

-Bad apples. Everyone has them. Edelman seems to have some at the very top of the chain. From abusive to unethical, it's unclear how the very top doesn't see them clearly for what they are. Suspending one is a good down payment.

Add some diversity of THOUGHT to the executive committee. Stop rewarding operators and bureaucrats. Spend more time asking "what's good for the client?" than "what's good for my agenda?"

My 6 Month Internship in the D.C. Office

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Big clients- Hilton, Walmart, Pepse, Adobe, Dannon, etc.
    Big office- many people to connect with and learn from
    In the heart of D.C.
    Edelman Learning Institute classes- hearing from & meeting experts
    Nice perks like endless coffee and ice cream on Fridays
    Was paid $12.25 an hour + time and a half for over time.

Cons

At least 30 interns any given week
    Most of the time you are isolated from the "real" employees.All interns are sectioned off in rooms together.
    Work follows you home.
    Not a steady rhythm- either stressed and pulling your hair out or bored and twiddling you thumbs.
    Getting a full-time position mostly depends on timing, luck of the draw.
    Lots of drinking in the office (maybe that is a pro to you though).

Give more feedback. Meet with interns regularly. Give the intern a written review at the end of their internship.

5. Edelman is the best. We're a family of entrepeneurs who work hard and smart to live up to our well-deserved reputation.

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't imagine a reason to leave Edelman. I've stayed with the company through moves from NYC to Tampa to DC. There's great opportunity to grow and even shift specialties within the company, really choosing your own adventure. Our colleagues and clients are great. What's more, work-life balance is definitely achievable, and we are very fairly compensated between salary and bonuses.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

N/A

6. Embraces Innovation. Always In Motion.

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Edelman has assembled a staff with incredible intellectual capabilities and industry experience. The eclectic mix of skill sets, points of view and industry insight allows for more effective teamwork and better client service. New ideas are valued from every level of staff. Edelman is always in motion and the generation of ideas are never static or stale.

Cons

Edelman's global network is a clear and distinct market advantage, but navigating the global matrix can be challenging at times.

Interoffice integration and knowledge sharing is fantastic, yet sessions need to have more pragmatic applications to real-life scenarios.

7. Amazing firm to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for mobility and exploring your interests, talented people, interesting projects. If you can get in, I would absolutely recommend working here.

Cons

Compensation at a lower level could be much better.

The only advice is to realize that the junior staff is the bloodline of the firm as we generate a lot of work - even small increases, or bonuses, will be an improvement.

8. I'm so impressed. The people at Edelman are incredibly smart, creative, strategic and passionate about their work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Talented colleagues, opportunity for job growth is substantial, clients are top-notch, collaborative culture

Cons

Compensation, more leadership development for employees

Consider more leadership development for employees so they can reach their full potential for the company - executive coaching?

9. Adrenaline ride of opportunities, deadlines and experiences

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely entrepreneurial and you have many opportunities to grow a long-lasting career that is incredibly dynamic and engaging.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, which can make it intense at times. However, we hire smart and creative people who are interested in being successful and pushing the limits for new ideas, approaches, etc.

Continue to focus on removing arbitrary barriers created internally by separate P&L structures between offices (and sometimes even within the same office).

10. It's a fast-paced work environment that is constantly challenging me and keeping me on my toes.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They promote a good work-life balance at Edelman, and they have awesome office perks like free ice cream in the DC office on Fridays and an Edelman softball team that plays other PR companies. The work is always challenging but very rewarding.

Cons

Oftentimes, working for clients leads to late/early hours and long working days. Also, until you get to some of the upper levels, it has lower pay than some other comparable jobs.

11. Keeps you on your toes...

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great people, innovative, creative, fast-paced, fun, engaging, office culture

Cons

work-life balance, lots of travel

There needs to be greater connection between the firm's most senior leadership and younger employees. I see good interaction between these groups on the local level but very little interaction with the firm's top level.