Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Chief Executive Philip Day

Philip Day

A dynamic and diverse workplace let down by poor C&C and a lack of any positive culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cardiff, Wales (UK)

ProsThere was a lot accomplished and good successes with plenty of scope for achievement but no recognition or thanks.

ConsNo raises, bonuses, thanks or recognition for jobs very well done, poor pay and lack of promotions have built an business workplace with a critically high turnover of staff, undermining growth and stability. Directors spend their days sniping at unfortunate yet high performing, hardworking staff which has the unfortunate effect of building a climate of fear and recrimination where no one is prepared to take initiative.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors should turn away from the darkside and see that there is another way. Executives built your business - you need to trust them and reward them. Ethics, being ethical and being seen to be ethical are important these days. Try being nice for a change and I bet you would make even more profit. Staff turnover is appalling, you need to figure that out fast.

I did an apprentiship when i was 16 and it was alright.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

ProsI had a really understanding and caring boss and work friends.

Consit can get a bit tedious having to constantly change the layout of the shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your workers. Make sure they are trained in everything before leaving them to fend for themselves.

Challenging, fast-paced work environment

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Langholm, Scotland (UK)

ProsExceptional co-workers who were great to work with. Great development opportunities, competitive pay and benefits. Loved the job and there was a different challenge everyday.

ConsCommunication within the departments could improve and sometime their can be politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communications

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From the oldest Saturday girl...

ProsOn a local scale... I never want to leave.
    Recent training sheets - good - should have been brought in years ago.

ConsBut on a national level, I believe the company could be more considerate to holidays, management holidays, uniforms, breaks, uniform supply ( 1 blouse is not enough - Who wants smelly advisors) I had the wrong size Jacket for years!!! Presentation is everything, and this supply needs to be adjusted.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the shop floor staff more.

Poor support network and lacking in training for menial tasks.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIt was close to home, working with people i knew.
    Trained from seasonal catering upto manager.

ConsPaid minimum wages and salary was poor for what you were expected to do. There was control over everything by area manager, in our town we were expected to work our holidays and days off around 2 other stores whether these were productive days or not.
    Add on sales were a must and felt forced to buy goods ourselves to save the dreaded morning phonecall.
    Needed permission for menial things like buying new lights for a xmas tree.
    Budgets were taken off us and we were given them by area managers and not given any leeway.
    Asked for training in minor areas and was dismissed by the people above.
    Not given any choice in the products you wish to sell in your store leading to poor sales.
    I didnt feel i could lift the phone and just have a chat with area manager it was quite strained.
    Area manager would come waltzing in store and sit in office all day not seeing what went on on shop floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers and staff are treated as numbers rather than people.
    Seems to be "who you know" - to get things done
    Lacking in support network
    High expectations for rubbish money.....no enthusiasm to work
    Staff input into ideas is nonexistant yet we are the people who talk to the customers and listen to their needs.
    Stores need work done to them to bring them upto standard.

Misunderstanding of customer needs

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Hertford, England (UK)

ProsGood opportunities to learn new skills and personal growth, good quality products, faithful customers

ConsSilly ACE training doesn't provide customers with the service they want, many annoyed customers and upset staff. Customers don't want to be asked if they need help at the front middle and back of the store, many customers got angry because they were sick of being bothered and just wanted to shop in peace.

Bad policy on the forced retirement age, we had a shop assistant who had worked there since the shop opened friends with all the customers and knew what the liked/disliked and how to serve them, she was force to retire because she was "too old", many customers were angry at this and stopped coming to the store.

Better care needs to be take in store. Our store had holes in the walls, peeling paint, hazard tape on the carper which was quite frankly dangerous with so many elderly around that could have tripped on it. Once an elderly woman urinated on a chair in our store and all the manager did was cover it up with a blanket, this is not hygienic and not professional practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to cater training to your personal customers, most clientele found ACE bothersome and intruding.
    Value staff on their contribution to the store not their age
    Spend more time and money on the presentation of the store so it doesn't look so neglected

Good but

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsGood friendly bunch of people to work with

ConsNeed to come into this century with some of their views on tattoos, piercings etc

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review old fashioned ideas

Good fun, hard working bunch of people that makes it easy to fit in and do the job

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat bunch of people and some good incentives but not the best on market

ConsAlthough environment is good, could try to encourage a better working atmosphere

Decent working conditions, staff morale not so good

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsColleagues are friendly, get to know each other and are happy to help each other when necessary (e.g. by swapping shifts)
    Staff discount after working there for some time
    Manager takes personal requests into account when arranging shifts, e.g. making allowance for travelling by public transport
    Some bonuses available when store meets its targets

ConsStaff morale low, in particular among long-term employees - boredom is common
    Relationships with higher management not amiable
    Minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher manager should aim to develop better relationships with store managers, so that suggestions from higher management are more likely to be looked on as helpful, rather than as interference

Poor management and little chance for promotion

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat in-store relationships
    Job security
    Staff discount

ConsNo promotion prospects
    External recruitment for middle and senior managers
    Regular middle management changes
    Overall poor senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and money in your store and area managers. Some are doing a great job, and getting little support and recognition.
    In my experience all store and area managers are recruited externally, if more time was invested in training and developing the staff within the stores, then this would not need to be the case.
    Senior/Group level management should be more mindful of their audience when they send out emails to the group, as their wording may not be taken as the motivation-booster they are intended to be. Tone is very difficult to judge through words on a page and can come across exceptionally harsh to the front line workers who are working all hours for minimum wage.
    Overall, you do need to spend more time communicating with your staff, but be mindful about the message you want to convey and how your message will be received.

Worked for Edinburgh Woollen Mill? Contribute to the Community!