Edison Chouest Offshore

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.5

Gary Chouest

Good Company with great new build program, educational opportunities for personnel and equipment.

Current Employee - OSV Captain in Houma, LA
    Current Employee - OSV Captain in Houma, LA

I have been working at Edison Chouest Offshore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good medical, and a fair 401K program. Fair salary for maritime professionals.

Cons

There is a need for good seamen in the offshore industry. Few are applying, thus some lower crew O/S, Cooks, and Able Seaman should be released, but the company can not afford to fire them. A poor hand is better than none...

The operations management needs to listen closer to the Captains for changes to operations and crew issues. We hate to have to have a poor crew member removed just to hear that another command is having the same issue. Weeds need to be removed, not shifted from operations. Also of note+ The MS program and procurement can be made much more efficient with better synergy between the Captains who operate it and the tech who designs and updates it.

I suffer from bipolar disorder. And this has caused me nothimgnbut grief on my job.

Current Employee - Structural Welder in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Structural Welder in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Edison Chouest Offshore

Pros

My crew and immediate supervisor.

Cons

Little to no understanding of a persons personally struggles. All I get is be here be ontimendo your job. Your problems are yours.

Be more considerate to those with mematl illness. We did not choose this we are just trying to live with it the beat we can.

Great company but very unprofessional work environment

Former Employee - Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Edison Chouest Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Eco is a great company for job stability, pay, leniency. They do not lay off, they weed, and try to be fair, and stand behind what they say they do (not just corporate rhetoric like some companies). Free training, family friendly

Cons

Good ole boy system. The most unskilled/unqualified workers kiss up to management the most, for this reason those acquire and maintain leadership positions that they should not have. There is also a lot of CYA for the clumps of unskilled that band together.

Take everything with a grain of salt and hire more experienced people as coordinators

Steady work and some overtime

I worked at Edison Chouest Offshore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reason is salary and steady work. Overtime comes and goes but pay is good. Health benefits are also good.

Cons

Downsides are no advancement unless you're part of the "buddy system/promote family and friends", vacation submitted a month in advance, no sick or personal days off,

Try promoting employees who are qualified in their field of expertise instead of good ole boys

Edison Chouest Offshore was a company dedicated to my growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galliano, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galliano, LA

I worked at Edison Chouest Offshore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being a family owned company, the highest levels of management are always available. They are dedicated to their employees, and will promote across divisions.

Cons

At times employees who do a good job in their role, are not considered for promotions, because the company does not want to train a new employee for the position.

I would suggest strengthening the communication between divisions.

Good secure job but bottom of the barrel on paying able seamen

Current Employee - Able Seaman Rigger in Galliano, LA
    Current Employee - Able Seaman Rigger in Galliano, LA

I have been working at Edison Chouest Offshore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They do their best not to lay anyone off

Cons

Doesn't appreciate the risks taken by able seamen to train new hires in rigging. Everyone knows of massive raises given....what you may not know able seamen 0$

Take time to realize dangers of rigging and how experience goes a long way towards safety. You may have a stack of applications, but if you don't appreciate the experience that keeps people safe...how can you claim Safety First!!

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Edison Chouest Offshore full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, positive atmosphere, no drama

Cons

I really have not been here long enough to answer this yet.

Great job to have!

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Galliano, LA
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Galliano, LA

I have been working at Edison Chouest Offshore

Pros

The money is very good for the work that is required once you get a license.

Cons

Difference in pay isn't much different between anchor boats and supply boats. Anchor boat have a great deal more of responsibility.

Treat people equal instead of just the people that are locally from the bayou. But instead of that treatment is good.

Best boats in the gulf, worst people skills... but tolerable.

Current Employee - Lead Captain in Galliano, LA
    Current Employee - Lead Captain in Galliano, LA

I have been working at Edison Chouest Offshore

Pros

Pay is about even with other companies in the gulf, and they have their own training center.

Cons

Bayou mentality that if you're not from southern Louisiana then you aren't worth their time. Company has been reluctant to pay for training for unlimited license advancement.

Don't assume everyone is out for a free ride, some of us are sticking with the company out of pure dogged loyalty to one company, don't abuse it. All too often entire crews are replaced to solve a problem that was caused by senior management, purely to appease a client.

ECO, a great place to start, and a great place to run away from

Former Employee - Chief Engineer (OSV) in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer (OSV) in Houma, LA

I worked at Edison Chouest Offshore

Pros

Training and pay are outstanding, benefits are comparable to other companies in field

Cons

Very restrictive atmosphere (if not one of the local, i.e. Southern Louisiana Boys), almost hostile work environment

Get rid of most of your boat captains and a lot of your crew coordinators, get rid of nepotism