Edline

2.8

Rick Noble
1 Rating

Inside sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative (Chicago Based Account Executive) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Direct supervisor is genuinely concerned about his employees--personally and professionally. Workload isn't a killer, compensation is fair, and the travel opportunities are a nice perk.

Cons

Mid-management is a nightmare. Bloviating, megalomaniacal, borderline-talentless sycophants waste hours of your week with meaningless conference calls, the primary purpose of which, I'm convinced, is to provide them a forum to listen to themselves prattle on about nothing. Literally. Nothing. Once had a call take a 15-minute detour because our esteemed leader saw a duck get eaten by hawk. 15 minutes with no fewer than 60 people on the call.

It's time to stop confusing effort with results. And there's power in silence. Also, there are plenty of people in the room smarter than you. Learn to benefit from this.

Mismanagement, Buyouts, and Layoffs Coming to an Office Near You

Former Employee - Network Operations Center Administrator
    Former Employee - Network Operations Center Administrator

I worked at Edline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company that I was working for was purchased by Edline and, although layoffs were plentiful, I was asked to stick around and enjoy the free soda.

Cons

Mismanagement from every angle... With information security, procedures, and protocol already in place at a medium/large business, you can only imagine the nightmare of letting a key systems engineer go here and a key developer go there and a key network engineer go here and... It was as if employees were not even evaluated during several buyouts but, instead, randomly picked to stay based on shear luck. New management was so detached from their acquired product that the company almost went defunct within a year and had to be bailed out and bought up by Blackboard.

Most are gone now but... If you are going to purchase a company (or several for that matter) make sure you understand what it is that you are buying and ensure that key members of the staff are retained at least until other members of staff are ready to take on new duties.

Great group of people doing their best to get things back together

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1.) Generous days off
    2.) Free soda!!!
    3.) Colleagues who care about the product
    4.) World's hardest-working Tech Support team, in my opinion
    5.) Many people have a fun sense of humor

Cons

1.) Before the Blackboard acquisition: Poor upper management, lack of decent project planning and product focus
    2.) After the Blackboard acquisition: Too many tasks thrown on too quickly, getting lost in minor details
    3.) This is mainly just me, but I hated working in downtown Chicago - so many people, bums, crazy cabs, etc.

When I left, the new management was doing well at working on fixing some of the processes and flubs from previous management. Keep up the good work!

I learned a lot, management evolved over time...there was room for improvement when I left.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edline full-time

Pros

Great product to sell that actually help customers (schools) do their jobs better.

Cons

poor goal setting from management, closed book mentality with little transparency. Employee review process lacking and infrequent. No raises over several years of employment. Now owned by Blackboard, so things may have changed.

put yourself in your employees shoes, think about what would motivate them to want to be more loyal and to challenge them to want to do better work. Add more fun to the daily grind.

Stepping stone to better things

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edline full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competent team mates and exposure to different technologies

Cons

Morale and senior management, benefits deteriorated after BlackBoard acquisition.

Lack of a CTO and changes in management structure at end of 2011 lead to chaotic and unfulfilling environment, leading to loss of several key employees.

Some great talent, hamstrung by incompetent senior management.

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Edline

Pros

Some of the best folks I've ever worked with at the middle management levels down to the guys in the trenches. Good compensation, decent budget for hardware etc.

Cons

The higher levels of management are basically chosen because they are good at making the levels above them feel good but lack any real technical skill needed in this kind of field. The company uses fear to keep people in line, and the atmosphere at the head office is like something from a prison movie because of it.

Stop making unilateral decisions without input from the pros who work for you and know the subject in depth. You've bought companies with lots of expertise, use those people before they all leave for greener pastures.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edline

Pros

They offer a good benefits package and compensation, and an easy going place to work. Most people are friendly, and you can wear blue jeans. They show employee appreciation very well and try to keep their employees happy.

Cons

The training program is not well developed, and you don't have all the information you need. It works more as a "learn as you go" than a real training program. The person that mostly trains you is stretched very thin. People are friendly, but you must talk to them first, they will not reach out to you in most cases. Things move slowly here, and you get a lot of vague answers.

Develop a better training program for the reps, and provide more sales support materials.

It allowed me to pay my bills. Some great people there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edline

Pros

Salary was reasonable...met some nice people.

Cons

The company does not promote people from within.

Listen to what employees have to say.

Experience after Edline acquisition was discouraging at best.

I worked at Edline

Pros

Decent time off and benefits. Work life balance was good.

Cons

Lack of human resource development and opportunities to advance. Talent and technology inherited from acquisitions is not supported.

Value the talent and contributions of the employees you inherit through acquisitions instead of ignoring them until they leave.