Edmentum Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014

3.1

Edmentum President & CEO Vin Riera
Vin Riera

Pros
  • Co-workers are highly competent, energetic, and passionate about education and our customers (in 4 reviews)

• You will meet some great people here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to have a plan or know what they are doing from one day to the next (in 8 reviews)

• The only other piece of advice I would offer, the positive reviews here ARE left by members of senior management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my company!

I have been working at Edmentum full-time

Pros

I have worked for several employers in my professional past, but I feel like I finally found what I was looking for. Edmentum gave me flexible schedule-are you kidding? Working from home? Not many employers out there are as flexible as Edmentum is. LOVE THE SALARY, LOVE THE BENEFITS! My on-boarding was amazing! HR team took such a good care of me! Love my department, everyone is so willing to help and provide whatever tools I need to succeed. Every time I reach out to someone with a questions- get an immediate answer, I am never ignored! It feels good to come to work, I missed this feeling so much!

Cons

Its a fast -paced environment! You got to be the right person to fit.

Love my management, I am always being reached for the feedback. My manager checks in with me on a regular basis to discuss any concerns I might possibly have or to make sure I dont need help with anything.

Favoritism, discrimination, and more to follow

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Richardson, TX

I worked at Edmentum full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a very laid back job. The call aspect is very stressful but when you have down-time it is rather comfortable and relaxed.

Cons

There was a lot of favoritism going on between a select number of employees and the department head. Many fantastic employees would be passed over for someone who management favored more. It was also a very "hush hush" environment. If you wanted to voice your opinion about the department, you better avoid all managers and anyone in HR or you will be terminated. It is a very with-the-grain company and if you happen to go against it, you will become the outcast.

Learn to manage. Members of management do not do much of anything except keep a hawk eye on the representatives. I would describe their management policy as very "micro-managing" and if you would like to say anything to the contrary, we no longer need you on the team. A key bit of advice that I would like to offer would be to stop with the close ties between departments because this tends to form a buddy system and every manager will put the best interests of another manager at hand before calling a wrong-doing.

Love my workplace!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Edmentum part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun people to work with is always a pro. But more importantly, Edmentum takes such good care of its workers. As a part timer, I receive full benefits, PTO, and paid holiday. It makes it so worth it to work hard here. Not only that, break room is fantastic. Ice cream payday, free coffee machine (includes fancy coffee, tea, etc) - it's like having your mini coffee shop ;)

Cons

So far, it is so good.

No opinion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Management Is Ruining This Company

I have been working at Edmentum full-time

Pros

Benefits aren't bad, and base salaries can be fair.

Some people have a work at home day each week, depending on which department you are in.

Coworkers are friendly and people are accepting. You will meet some great people here.

Some hours can be flexible depending on what department you are in, as long as you put in your 8 hours, get your projects in on time and are available for meetings.

They do have some special events for the employees offering lunch after meetings, or lunch for projects completed well, as a celebration.

There are some perks for AAA, gym memberships, and other things offered through the health benefits.

There is a points system to nominate other coworkers for jobs well done, which you can turn in for rewards and other goods

They offer one paid day a year to volunteer your services, at a place of your choice, which is nice. I haven't seen that one anywhere else I've worked yet.

They will pay for training for you or give you extra money towards extra education from an accredited school if it applies to the work you are doing and it's approved.

Many of the coworkers here actually care about education and teaching kids.

Cons

Senior Management. I would LOVE to give this company a higher rating, because it has much more potential than it currently is exhibiting. Unfortunately with all of the perks, some important things still can't be overlooked. Upper management doesn't seem to have a plan or know what they are doing from one day to the next. They make a plan for 6 months-1 year, and then see something shiny, drop it all, and go after the thing they have no idea how to tackle, and everyone must drop everything to handle it.

Projects are constantly changing or are not scheduled correctly. In fact, deadlines no longer seem to be of importance, because it seems more important to maintain friendly relationships with coworkers (who also never meet deadlines,) who have long term relationships with senior management, than to care about the quality of the products. Some people that are in charge of projects have either have ego problems and don't work well with others, have no experience working in the projects they are leading, want to put their stamp of approval on it with no regard for working as a team, don't take the advice of those with expertise, or dreadfully, all of the above. Those with the actual expertise are left at the bottom of the totem pole in the projects, so that those who have little experience can maintain control over others, leading to even more unnecessary work, where the company could save on budget.

Many people have started to leave the company because they have to deal with specific coworkers who would be difficult for anyone to work with. Yet, the problem continues to happen and they hire new people who then have to deal with the same difficult coworkers, and then the new talent, or people tasked to the project also end up leaving. It's not hard to figure out that they need to remove the source of the problem, or transfer them to other projects. This is driving away good talent and employees who actually care about the work they are doing. There doesn't seem to be a limit in what some people must put up with in order to maintain politeness.

One particular case of middle management looking for help from upper management went something like this, "you figure it out." Not helpful at all. That is getting paid to have someone else figure out your job and take responsibility for it, not to mention the manager who is depending on you for an answer, as well as the well-being of all the people they also manage.

Products are outdated, and updating products means putting a quick, cheap patch on it rather than giving something of quality to customers and students, that can last. It's like buying a knock off box of band-aids on sale to put on a festering wound that's an inch deep, instead of just getting surgery to correct the problem. It's not fooling anyone and we are capable of doing better. Seems like we can't keep on top of what different clients want. Our products are going down hill :\

There is never money for much of a raise, but when they see something shiny and new, there's immediately all of this cash to throw at it, something many of us question.

Moving up is hard. There is not much room for growth in some jobs.

The company merged a year ago, and it was not communicated in the proper ways, leaving many people incredibly stressed and worried about their jobs. After the merger we got what we were told was an anonymous survey, but after we took it we found it wasn't so anonymous. This made way for more distrust, reasonably so, especially with all of the ongoing project plan changes that occur.

Take the suggestions you have been getting for over a year seriously. The perks are exceptional. Unfortunately it doesn't make up for some of the bigger issues. People aren't happy and everyone is telling you why. Stop asking why it's not working. We all keep telling you the same responses. This could be an amazing company, which is why a lot of us are still here. We still have hope!

When you make a plan, stick to it. There is no reason for changing things constantly. It says loud and clear that you aren't thinking about things completely the first time and haven't done the research. It leaves us feeling less and less trusting in the plan each time. Yes things change....but this should not be a normal habit from any company. ADD with shiny things does not equal quality leadership. I would not go into battle with these people if I knew the plan was going to change on me in the middle of crossfire and be left to figure it out.

Stop driving away good talent in order to appease those you are personally friends with. Some people are better at doing certain jobs than others, no matter how good of friends you are with someone. Stop making excuses for these people just because they are your friends. If they are terrible at their job, work poorly with others, and refuse to think deadlines are important to the rest of us, who are then forced to rely on them, take the necessary actions to correct the situation. Let the people who have expertise in projects lead your friends, and let your friends be the ones to follow them. Good talent is leaving because they are having to deal with certain disorderly and difficult people. Do the math, you'll figure out who these people are. The rest of us already know. Look at the people, in certain departments, who have left or are leaving and see who they are associated with every day. It's blatantly obvious, and it's costing you a LOT of money.

Some of us don't need a ton of meetings. Most full company meetings, I've been in, stress that employees are seeking even more meetings, but this is not the case for everyone or people I've spoken with. Better communication is actually key. Having a plan and sticking to it is key. Having the proper people lead projects is key. Being able to turn to upper management for help, without being turned away is key. Removing egos from the projects is key. Professionally dealing with those who are slowing projects down is key. These things are exactly what better communication means, not more meetings going over what we can do to make it better. Talk is nothing. Action is everything.

People are still upset because they don't see their suggestions being implemented.

Manage by fear, no support and major micromanagement.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Edmentum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am a former employee of the company. Originally with Archipelago/Study Island. Products are fantastic and my colleagues were supportive and customer oriented. Commission structure is good .

Cons

Sales management is a huge nightmare and hounds you daily rather than letting you focus on sales development. Every year your territory is realigned leaving with less selling opportunities and a completely new role. Upper management is not supportive, rude and cares very little for it's employees and it's customers.

Start treating your sales people and customers with respect. Edmentum has lost many enthusiastic talented sales people due to poor management.

Similar to trying to dance with a badger

I worked at Edmentum full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pros were the people I worked with. I highly doubt anybody with an option is still there.

Cons

Where to begin....I first have to say that I wasn't an employee for very long at all. I saw the writing on the wall and left at the first chance I had. Upper management is an absolute disaster. Middle management can't focus on development of employees because they are always trying to put out some fire created by clueless upper management. Sales flow is a joke, I have never been involved with a company that lost so much business due to the process of the week. This is honestly the most dysfunctional sales environment I have ever witnessed. Customer service is even worse. That department has been gutted and told to cater to the highest spenders, the rest don't matter. The saddest part is, THIS IS ON PURPOSE! Unless they drastically change the way things are done, there is no way they can stay competitive or even relevant. If you read a positive review on this site, it is certainly not the general consensus.

Paying for "best place to work" awards on websites won't retain your employees. Paying them and helping them grow will. Put your egos aside for 30 seconds and wake up, it's not working. You took a great company and are sinking the ship. Don't be surprised when you're the only ones left on deck trying to bail water with a dixie cup. Good luck. I am quite sure this will be taken with the same seriousness as the past reviews though.

Edmentum

I have been working at Edmentum full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work. Everyone is friendly and wants you to do well. You have a home office.

Cons

If you are out in the field you have a home office and you don't get to see people face to face that you work with.

Only chose 1 star because it will not let you choose less.....Yes, it's THAT bad!!!

Former Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edmentum full-time for less than a year

Pros

The ONLY pro about this company is your direct coworkers (for as long as you have them!). When I started, there were 10 people (including the manager) on the team I joined, I made 11. When I left the company 10 months later, only 1 of those 10 still remained! Just think about that, 9 out of 10 employees from ONE department all left in the span of 10 months....VOLUNTARILY!!!

Cons

It would take way too long to start listing all the problems with this company. They start with the department managers, to the department RVP's, all the way to the CEO. Instead, I would simply advise you to look at the turnover throughout this company as all the warning you need. If you are interviewing for a position here, just ask the hiring manager how many reps have left that department in just the last year....and do NOT accept "well we have turnover like everyone else" as enough of an answer (seriously, it's YOUR future on the line here). While I listed a single department above, it's consistent throughout.
    The only other piece of advice I would offer, the positive reviews here ARE left by members of senior management. Don't believe me? Think all the negative reviews are an exaggeration? Then why are so many running for the exit!!!

Advice? Yeah, like you listen to that! But what the hell.....Why not take some of the time and effort you put into creating false 'positive' reviews about the company, and instead, put that into actually making this a place where people want to be. VALUE your employees! There's an old saying, 'Happy people are productive people'.

Working for Edmentum is a bummer

Current Employee - Implementation Coach
    Current Employee - Implementation Coach

I have been working at Edmentum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People who work for edmentum are passionate about education and their customers, competitive pay and decent benefits, flexible schedule, PTO

Cons

No clear direction, no leadership, poor management, too many processes, little to no growth, NO culture.

I've worked with edmentum for almost 5 years now. The first 3 years of my career were spent working for Archipelago Learning. The Plato/Archipelago merger truly left me feeling very empty inside. I went from working with fantastic, creative, and supportive leaders and managers to a CEO who acts like a motivational speaker on steroids and a clueless management team who act like robots. Company get togethers, holiday parties, and even friendly communication became a thing of the past. I work my hardest to support our customers and provide the very best to them every single (working) day and I don't receive any recognition. My questions are answered (I'm using the term "answered" very loosely here) with restating my question and regurgitating some sort of response that surely came from above. Suggestions are taken but never put into play. There seems to be no room for growth and as an employee, I have had no support in furthering myself in my position or my career. This leaves me to believe that I am not a commodity for this company but rather just a worker bee......Doing my job because it's what I do to feed the queen. The only reason I am still here is because I truly love what I do and I love our customers. That and I haven't found a replacement job....... yet.

Up the culture! Interact with your employees as though they are human beings. Be clear with your expectations and your vision and STICK WITH THEM! Support your customers - - they are the people who keep YOU in business. Support your employees - - they are the people who are keeping this company moving. They are the people who are passionate about this - - Give them recognition (and I'm not just talking about taking them on a cruise if they sell a hundred billion dollars....there are other departments outside of sales who work REALLY hard day to day).

Difficult environment

I have been working at Edmentum full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is adequate and benefits are good. There seems to be an effort to engage the employees with small workday events through food...

Cons

They don't seem to know where they want to go as a business. Employees don't seem to understand their roles (because they change continuously) and no one wants to make any decisions. There is a lack of strategy and creativity that will be a long term problem.

Bring in some people with more experience running departments.

Worked for Edmentum? Contribute to the Community!