Edmonds Community College

Updated August 7, 2014

3.9

Jack Oharah

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good start to my education and professional career

Current Employee - Writing Assistant  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very laid-back, easygoing work environment. My supervisor was very adapt at both running her department but not over-working or stepping on the staff.

Cons

Pay was low at the time, but it was part-time student work. I felt like there was no room for growth without first finishing my studies.

No real advice here, everything seemed to run like a well-oiled, if large, machine.

Great Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Customer Service III  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job is easy, positive environment, great work balance. Lots of vacation time and I am free to use it whenever I want. That is Great!!

Cons

Procedures and computer software are antiquated. Circa 1988. They still have documents that need to be “typed”

Amazing place to work for! (No doubt.)

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, this space right here would NOT fit all the things I found great about Edmonds Community College. Having both studied and worked at the college, I can say that Edmonds Community College has the following strong suits and values:
    - Great Work Environment and People
    - Organized Company Structure and Systems
    - Work/Life Balance, Travel Opportunities
    - Clear Vision, Mission and CORE Values
    - Clear teaching directions & committees
    - Great health care benefits and training
    - Career Advancement / Growth Opportunities
    - Great Payscale for almost every level at the college
    - Great 10-year / long-term plans and strategies
    - ...and so many more!!!

Cons

Edmonds Community College has expansive ways to grow according to its potentials...
    It has changed from being constructive to being more collaborative as an organization. Therefore, these changes have to be supported at every level and in every department at the college... Many efforts and investments have been done, however, there are still some many inefficient pipelines that can be reduced.

I am overall satisfied with my career and study journey spent at Edmonds Community College.
    I encourage my fellow friends looking at this review to join Edmonds Community College. I definitely would recommend it with an open set of arms and heart! :-)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great programs and friendly college environment!

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diverse opportunities available. People are very friendly and supportive. Great place to be at. Learn and improve skills for a better future. Enjoy my time working and studying here. Definitely recommend Edmonds Community College as an employer / school.

Cons

Parking can be hard. Usually have to come early to get a good spot. Other than that, this is a great college for both learning and working.

Great Higher Education Facility

Former Employee - Office Assistant I  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant I in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunities and experience gained to take to other employer.

Cons

Limited full-time employment opportunities, too many part-time employees working 15-17 hours or less per week. Some departments have poor supervision of work study students and do not communicate well.

Combine part-time positions to full-time and/or suggest the union pool benefit monies so part-time workers (15 hours/week or more) have benefits (even though some of the cost will come out of the part-time employee's wages (similar to the k-12 school districts).

New administration has cracked the once strong foundation of the campus community.

Former Employee - Bookstore Buyer  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Bookstore Buyer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

At this time I see no pros. Used to be the people, the campus community.

Cons

The "one big family" feeling is gone. Working with fewer and fewer resources but expected to continue to grow and improve. Employees are burning out fast. Current administration is not transparent in decision making or implementation of changes.

You have a wealth of experience and knowledge in your long time staff as well as ideas from existing and new staff. Listen to them and make sure you are really hearing them. Don't change just for changes sake. The foundation of trust and respect need to be rebuilt for the campus to grow and succeed.

Great place to work for short duration

Former Employee - Associate Student  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Student in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

- friendly staffs
    - flexible working schedule
    - given responsibilities to manage project independently
    - great experience

Cons

- too political
    - layoff notice during vacation time
    - micro-management
    - discourage creativity

Good experience

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get a chance to meet people, and help them with their studies.
    Get the opportunity to encourage students and monitor their progress in their classes.
    Get a chance to review materials from some classes, so that those materials are fresh at all times.

Cons

Sometimes there are limited students, so it is more time to commute for tutoring, than the actual pay.
    There are some students that don't want to try harder, which is demoralizing; especially because you do your best, and they just don't have any progress.

Try to assign more students to the tutors. Make the hassle of going to the campus worthwhile.

Working for EdCC is great when you are earning your degree there!

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College

Pros

Edmonds Community Colleges is a great place to work when you are earning your degree there. The work environment is friendly, social, and positive.

Cons

The pay is on the lower side, and the parking is horrible at times. The office technology could use an upgrade.

Hire more onsite software developers, specifically web-services developers. Develop your own web services instead of contracting out to companies who provide crappy products (products the students hardly use.)

Worked for Edmonds Community College? Contribute to the Community!