Edmonds Community College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Jack Oharah

1. I really enjoyed being a tutor. There are many hard working people there.

Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your are currently a student at EdCC, there is little better you could do than tutor. I suggest tutoring the subject that you are interested in continuing your education for. Nothing helps you understand a subject like teaching it.

Cons

The role of the tutor is not always well defined - this is potentially problematic if a tutor is over-eager to help a student, or if the student is looking for an inappropriate level of assistance.

Advice to Management

Clear up the limits of what tutors can and cannot help with. Also, consider adding more group sessions as this can give people interested in education experience.

2. Database Administrator

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time

Pros

The Application Development Services team is very good. The network department is a work in progress.

Cons

Edmonds is a small college and the compensation is lower than other community colleges and much lower than the general IT industry.

Advice to Management

Compensation should be based on actual employee performance and contribution rather than just longevity.

3. Friendly & helpful environment with lots of new teacher support & materials

Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful teachers, administrators, & staff who were all really supportive and helpful. They have a lead teacher who will help you prepare for everything, from the syllabus and curriculum, to lesson plans and activities!

Cons

The shared common work room was a new concept for me. Although I fully understand why they need that (so many teachers throughout the day and no way to provide personal computers for everyone), it was annoying and time consuming to put all of your stuff away and take it out before/after every class (if they can find you room in a cupboard). Also, some computers may or may not be actually hooked up correctly to printers, etc. Other than that, I felt attendance was an issue (perhaps because it is a community college and not a university?) more so than other places I've taught. Next time, I would be stricter.

5. Student Tech. Volunteer - October 2012 thru December 2012

Former Intern - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Intern - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My contribution to the team; testing, documentation, procedural writing (publication). Communication as a group brought about new personalities and leadership.

Cons

Competition; loose sight of what the point actually was. insufficient amount of training; schedule timing learn as you go it was a benefit in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep going; I believe in you.

6. Great Benefits and Dedicated People

Current Employee - Instructor in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing management, people, and everyone is passionate about their job.

Cons

Being a part time employee it's hard to know when/what classes you are teaching until the very last minute.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the younger generation and their ideas of making a department better.

7. Educational; documentation and application testing specialist.

Former Intern - Student Technology Advisement Resource Team Volunteer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about documentation writing and creating testing scenarios.

Cons

Looking for more hands on software testing results.

Advice to Management

Compliment to management; strong team!

8. A good start to my education and professional career

Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid-back, easygoing work environment. My supervisor was very adapt at both running her department but not over-working or stepping on the staff.

Cons

Pay was low at the time, but it was part-time student work. I felt like there was no room for growth without first finishing my studies.

Advice to Management

No real advice here, everything seemed to run like a well-oiled, if large, machine.

9. Great Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is easy, positive environment, great work balance. Lots of vacation time and I am free to use it whenever I want. That is Great!!

Cons

Procedures and computer software are antiquated. Circa 1988. They still have documents that need to be “typed”

10. Amazing place to work for! (No doubt.)

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, this space right here would NOT fit all the things I found great about Edmonds Community College. Having both studied and worked at the college, I can say that Edmonds Community College has the following strong suits and values: - Great Work Environment and People - Organized Company Structure and Systems - Work/Life Balance, Travel Opportunities - Clear Vision, Mission and CORE Values - Clear teaching directions & committees - Great health care benefits and training - Career Advancement / Growth Opportunities - Great Payscale for almost every level at the college - Great 10-year / long-term plans and strategies - ...and so many more!!!

Cons

Edmonds Community College has expansive ways to grow according to its potentials... It has changed from being constructive to being more collaborative as an organization. Therefore, these changes have to be supported at every level and in every department at the college... Many efforts and investments have been done, however, there are still some many inefficient pipelines that can be reduced.

Advice to Management

I am overall satisfied with my career and study journey spent at Edmonds Community College. I encourage my fellow friends looking at this review to join Edmonds Community College. I definitely would recommend it with an open set of arms and heart! :-)

11. Great programs and friendly college environment!

Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse opportunities available. People are very friendly and supportive. Great place to be at. Learn and improve skills for a better future. Enjoy my time working and studying here. Definitely recommend Edmonds Community College as an employer / school.

Cons

Parking can be hard. Usually have to come early to get a good spot. Other than that, this is a great college for both learning and working.

RSS Feed </> Embed