Edmonds Community College Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
4.2
Jack Oharah

1. New administration has cracked the once strong foundation of the campus community.

Former Employee - Bookstore Buyer in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Bookstore Buyer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At this time I see no pros. Used to be the people, the campus community.

Cons

The "one big family" feeling is gone. Working with fewer and fewer resources but expected to continue to grow and improve. Employees are burning out fast. Current administration is not transparent in decision making or implementation of changes.

Advice to Management

You have a wealth of experience and knowledge in your long time staff as well as ideas from existing and new staff. Listen to them and make sure you are really hearing them. Don't change just for changes sake. The foundation of trust and respect need to be rebuilt for the campus to grow and succeed.

2. Educational; documentation and application testing specialist.

Former Intern - Student Technology Advisement Resource Team Volunteer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about documentation writing and creating testing scenarios.

Cons

Looking for more hands on software testing results.

Advice to Management

Compliment to management; strong team!

3. Database Administrator

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time

Pros

The Application Development Services team is very good. The network department is a work in progress.

Cons

Edmonds is a small college and the compensation is lower than other community colleges and much lower than the general IT industry.

Advice to Management

Compensation should be based on actual employee performance and contribution rather than just longevity.

5. Student Tech. Volunteer - October 2012 thru December 2012

Former Intern - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Intern - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My contribution to the team; testing, documentation, procedural writing (publication). Communication as a group brought about new personalities and leadership.

Cons

Competition; loose sight of what the point actually was. insufficient amount of training; schedule timing learn as you go it was a benefit in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep going; I believe in you.

6. Great Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is easy, positive environment, great work balance. Lots of vacation time and I am free to use it whenever I want. That is Great!!

Cons

Procedures and computer software are antiquated. Circa 1988. They still have documents that need to be “typed”

7. I've worked multiple tutoring positions around campus

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's easy to find jobs especially if you know someone. Also, if you're good at your job it makes it easier to get hired elsewhere.

They will work around your school schedule so you can fill in those pesky 1-2hr breaks with something productive.

Cons

A max number of hours is set to 19. Also, the pay can be low. Luckily i was paid from 10-12.5/hr

8. Great Higher Education Facility

Former Employee - Office Assistant I in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant I in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities and experience gained to take to other employer.

Cons

Limited full-time employment opportunities, too many part-time employees working 15-17 hours or less per week. Some departments have poor supervision of work study students and do not communicate well.

Advice to Management

Combine part-time positions to full-time and/or suggest the union pool benefit monies so part-time workers (15 hours/week or more) have benefits (even though some of the cost will come out of the part-time employee's wages (similar to the k-12 school districts).

9. I really enjoyed being a tutor. There are many hard working people there.

Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your are currently a student at EdCC, there is little better you could do than tutor. I suggest tutoring the subject that you are interested in continuing your education for. Nothing helps you understand a subject like teaching it.

Cons

The role of the tutor is not always well defined - this is potentially problematic if a tutor is over-eager to help a student, or if the student is looking for an inappropriate level of assistance.

Advice to Management

Clear up the limits of what tutors can and cannot help with. Also, consider adding more group sessions as this can give people interested in education experience.

10. IT Analyst/IT specialist IV

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lynwood Center, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lynwood Center, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College

Pros

Very easy, relaxed, good benefits, (almost) free class, decent pay

Cons

No incentives so nobody wants to improve, everyone is complacent--you will become like this.

Advice to Management

Managers are not in control of any of my complaints, so I don't really have any advice to give

11. Friendly & helpful environment with lots of new teacher support & materials

Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful teachers, administrators, & staff who were all really supportive and helpful. They have a lead teacher who will help you prepare for everything, from the syllabus and curriculum, to lesson plans and activities!

Cons

The shared common work room was a new concept for me. Although I fully understand why they need that (so many teachers throughout the day and no way to provide personal computers for everyone), it was annoying and time consuming to put all of your stuff away and take it out before/after every class (if they can find you room in a cupboard). Also, some computers may or may not be actually hooked up correctly to printers, etc. Other than that, I felt attendance was an issue (perhaps because it is a community college and not a university?) more so than other places I've taught. Next time, I would be stricter.