Edmonton Public Schools

www.epsb.ca

Edmonton Public Schools Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Edmonton Public Schools – Edmonton – “Tennis courts beside the Centre for Education”

Edmonton Public Schools Superintendent Edgar Schmidt

Edgar Schmidt

very satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edmonton, KY

Prosfair treatment by school staff

Consthere were too many seniors looking over your shoulder

Very good opportunities. Wonderful staff and support

Teacher-6 Years University Education (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits. Good leadership. Had very positive experience.

ConsSome staff members were difficult and negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

Education Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe work climate is usually supportive and focused on the students. There are lots of learning opportunities and co-workers are generally helpful.

ConsThe job climate does not allow for any criticism of anyone. This does mean that some people that need feedback to improve their performance do not always get it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Edmonton Public schools is a leader id educational principles for children and in its outer circles it is known for its

Teacher and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsTeachers receive above average salaries and excellent support from the district. Substitute teachers receive adequate to good compensation.

ConsEdmonton Public schools operates from the Top Down and if a teacher voices an opinion not in line with the present school’s philosophy, that teacher is taken aside and lectured.

Novice full time teachers are often given the most challenging students in a school where seasoned teachers are given the easier classes, a practice used by most school districts.

There is much criticism of Substitute teachers by both principals and full-time teachers.

There is too much hiring of retired teachers as Substitute teachers thus reducing the line of regular Substitutes into the profession.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to demonstrate respect to all levels of employees and I would only recommend this company for Full-time teachers.

Not a friendly place to work

Educator (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsColleagues are helpful. Many great people work there.

ConsManagement unsupportive. Teachers are seen as expendable.

A great job but very limited ability to advance your career.

Curriculum Specialist (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsMaintained teacher salary and benefits plus an additional stipend equivalent to what an AP would make in a school. Was able to focus on helping teachers and specializing in a subject area. It was a nice break from the classroom.

ConsBUREAUCRATIC!!! Which was hard to take at times. There is a huge disconnect from the realities of classroom teaching to what is perceived at Edmonton Public by senior managers. Some have lost sight of what is in the best interests of students.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to find ways to remain in touch with the realities of the classroom and the demands on teachers.

great some days, bad some days... that's teaching.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Proslarge school district. able to work as a substitute teacher pretty much full time if you know how to market yourself well and do a good job.

Constons of new teachers and not a lot of jobs... if you want to make it in this game you have to be excellent at your profession or you won't make it in this city.

Advice to Senior Managementdo a better job at hiring good teachers and keeping them in the profession.

Good

ProsExperience is very good because you work with kids

ConsBoring repetitive but still rewarding! seeing all the kids smiling

Advice to Senior ManagementWork here!

Can't beleive I'm saying this, but "If ony they ran it like a business"

High School Teacher (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsBeing a teacher has a lot of the perks people associate with it: holidays, good pay, good benefits. Edmonton Public, like most employers in public education met at least this standard.

ConsBefore I begin, perhaps I should say that problems like the ones I'll describe are endemic to teaching to a certain extent - a focus on "accountability" but only for the staff, never for the management; a massaging of data when it comes to "success rates," and a tendancy (in traditional schools, anyway) to do it liek it's always been done. If that works for soem stduetns great. The rest are left to their own devices, with predictable results. Giving the toughest assignments to the greenest professionals is not something we do to doctors, engineers, etc. But we do it with kids. Edmonton Public, like any institution, has the option of charting a different path, joining the present, and finding leaders that can do what's required.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose leaders based on who has demonstrated leadership - not based on a pool of people who would like to lead, regarldess of competence. Be bold, find what works, and copy it. We're way behind and there are exemplars of programming and strategy that is far ahead of what we're doing.

A great place to work if you do not mind staying in one position for a long time.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThere is very good stability

ConsAdvancement does not come along very often.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff

Worked for Edmonton Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!