Edmunds.com

Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf

Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy: Operational inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

• Executive management is clueless(in 3 reviews)

Finally found the company I was looking for..

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE (Results Only Work Environment)
    Compensation and Benefits
    Work Culture
    Technology

ConsEven though Work Life Balance is great cause of ROWE sometimes there are days where you end up working a lot and other days where you dont have much to do

Edmunds.com

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people around the company. Good benefits and salary.

ConsI was laid off by the company and it seemed as though it was primarily due to over hiring. I'd been a loyal employee for a good number of years and management could have better prepared me by letting me know when they thought they might have to let me go instead of just laying me off. They could have also worked with me to find another position in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe cut back on some of the "Parties" and goodies. I think most people would rather have a job and not as many of the extras.

Pay your people more!

ProsBenefits and ROWE are great. It allows you to have more of a work life balance.

ConsSalaries in my department are REALLY low.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is a reason there are so many openings at Edmunds!

Area Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe comp plan is decent but it changes all the time (3 times in 2013).

ConsThis is a California based company that wants to be like Google but they act like McDonalds. The brand is tired and stale and there are no plans to do any marketing. There is a giant disconnect from the home office and the sales force. You can not expect huge jumps in product placement if you raise the price 500%. When that doesn't work you "force" bundle the product; but what you don't understand is, nobody knows about the product! Edmunds is barely delivering on their existing products but there is an expectation to force the adoption of all the new products!
    The expectations for results is immediate and constant. The goals for revenue is daunting and the financial pressure for retention is severe. Fear and threats are common management tools, this comes from the top and filtered down to the "middle" managers. Turnover is extremely high at Edmunds. For every 1 person they convince to stay 3 people leave.
    Be careful if you are thinking about working here. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor, research the average tenure of sales people form Edmunds on LinkedIn. The sales side is completely different from the software side; a different world. It's strange to see a company where 1 year is considered "a long time".

Advice to Senior ManagementForm letters and emails are no way to communicate with your sales force. Upper management needs to have an actual conversation with the sales team. Create a plan and stick with it.

ROWE - Great in theory, bad in practice

Director (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGood pay
    Nice offices
    An executive team that really wants to be successful
    Freedom to do good work if you're so inclined

ConsNo equity. With the market the way it is, isn't it time?
    ROWE is abused by so many people, it makes it extremely challenging for those who are truly Results Oriented. If the employees were better managed and organized, they could accomplish so much more.

Public Relations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat people, and company. The office atmosphere makes you excited about work and management always keeps you engaged with the company and its product.

ConsGreat experience all around. Enjoyed my tenure in the Public Relations department and having nothing to complain about.

No Direction

Area Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHome office is friendly and in an excellent location. Edmunds has some great name recognition. Fast payout on expenses. Did I say the Home office is friendly?

ConsThis company has two very distinct business units, Editorial and Dealer Sales. Dealer sales has no vision, direction or true goals. It's not like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing; it's more like the left hand HATES the right hand. Edmunds has constant changes and suffers from incredible retention problems. The two people that run the "sales" division seem to actually hate the sales people. There is very little training as a new hire and even less on going training. The latter may be because there is such a high turnover. I've seen people written up in less than two months! How is that possible?
    Your sales people are just thrown to the wind; it's either sink or swim.
    Pricing is all over the board and only the select few can present discounts.
    The "National" director is more of a bully then leader and there is a culture of fear and retaliation that runs rampant in the company. The national sales call (which is really a quick 15 minutes of 5 people talking ) always goes "question" free because everyone fears the smack down that would come from above. Thousands and Thousands of dollars are left on the table monthly because everyone is afraid to ask permission to get the sale!
    There is no marketing for any products but new products and site designs are released frequently. Just because people know what Edmunds used to do doesn't mean they know what Edmunds does now!
    There is no security in the sales position and since sales is a "secondary" part of the company you have to be extra careful.
    Here is some advice; document everything. Managers will not put things in writing because they do not want a paper trail. You really have to be in constant preservation mode. You cannot turn to HR or Executive management because they seem to turn a blind eye.
    There is no goal, no vision and little leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease come out into the field and talk to the reps! We see that you both have passion and drive. Ask your reps if they feel secure in their jobs? Ask them if they fear retaliation from above? If you have a goal to reduce turnover; then why don't you try and figure out why people are leaving? Don't ask HR; ask the people that are leaving! You have a tremendous amount of talent in your sales force why don't you tap into that knowledge?
    If Edmunds.com wants to be better than the competition; what are they going to do differently to reach that goal?
    One other thing: ROWE only works in the home office. It's almost impossible in the field. If you take a day off you are punished (YES really). Phone calls and emails at night (after 10), Sundays and religious holidays; if you don't answer you will be talked to.

Edmunds.come is a cool place for working

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsOpen Culture and flexible schedule. Management is cool but keep everything in pace.

ConsOrganization reconstruct often, not feeling 100% secure to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to show security to work in the company

Generally a good place, but has had attrition problems for a reason.

Non-technical Job (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGood benefits. Beautiful location. Great office space.

ConsPolitics, politics, politics. A lot is made of being one of "the best small businessplaces to work," but no amount of free food, game room or PTO makes up for lousy managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews should be 360, not just top down.

Great team to work with, not so great leaders to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed work environment, great benefits, ROWE, innovative company, free fruit and bagels, coffee bar, monthly happy hours, and the employees are awesome people to work with.

ConsIt's all about the politics. Allow me to repeat myself - it's all about the politics. If you're not in with that "special group" of people, you can forget about promotion, advancement, etc. and very few people are in that group. Edmunds talks a good game about being the best place to work in LA, but the actions of the Executive Team rarely back it up. Everyone outside of the executive team is viewed as replaceable and one mistake away from being unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to back up your words with actions and take better care of your lower level employees. Oh and stop the politics!!! If an employee works hard, does their job well, and treats co-workers with respect, that's what should matter.

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!