Edmunds.com Reviews

Avi Steinlauf

1. Featured Review

Employees Valued, Great Opportunities, Challenging Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Open, collaborative work environment
    -Excellent benefits
    -ROWE (Results Only Work Environment)
    -Employees valued and treated with wonderful perks
    -Employees are high quality, professional, and extremely nice to work with
    -Small company; everyone knows each other and works together well
    -Casual and comfortable environment
    -Excellent Technology

Cons

-Although this is a highly collaborative environment, you still encounter silos just like any other company. You have to speak up and make sure you are heard.
    -Senior management is challenging - not sure that would be a con; I actually look at this as more of a pro. You have to have a backbone, accept criticism, and deliver.

Advice to Management

Great place to work!

2. Great people

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

Fun, challenging, successful, great brand
    A place you can be proud to work

Cons

a lot of loops to get things done

home away from home!

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

I just started working here full time only a month ago and my experience has been amazing.

Culture: The Edmunds culture is like no other company I have ever worked for. Everyone that you meet here, is passionate about what they do for Edmunds. You get the family vibe and everyone works as a team across all departments. Transparency is one of the best traits I love about working here, you are always in the know of what's going on.

Management: My manager gives me the freedom to re-create process and provides the best guidance. They encourage creativity and always put candidate/employee experience as a number 1 priority.

Benefits: ROWE and TAW are obviously a huge perk of working here. But you'll see a lot of employees who decide to work in the office vs. at home just because they LIKE to be here.

Cons

I can't think of a con. My manager provided me with excellent training, understands my career goal and offers to help me get there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

5. Beautiful HQ, great benefits, intelligent to brillliant staff, execs lack leadership to execute greatness.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

Beautiful Santa Monica offices, great employee perks, casual open space work atmosphere, very employee focused. Brilliant folks work here; the data they acquire and publish is excellent. Great opportunity to learn from intelligent staff. Strong project management, IT teams.

Cons

The exec leadership is quite pompous believing they are too smart to equally partner with other companies which has set Edmunds.com back. The company has burned alot of bridges in the automotive space. Edmunds.com has become a " decent" leads provider/ data source whereas they have potential to be the best of the best. Top heavy management; everyone is a Dir, Exec Dir or VP. Dealer programs /products not market competetive, product offerings are more hype than substance. Extensive turnover on direct sales teams affecting service, knowledge.

Advice to Management

Less meetings more work, get to know your customers,get out in the field. Be open to learning from other industry peers. Be something more than just a smart company.

Good company, tries hard to be good at too many things...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, senior management is very open and transparent about the performance of the company, product successes, shortcomings, tries to keep employees involved in major decisions on things such as benefits. It has been my experience that the company is open to trying different things, if something doesn't work, they aren't afraid to admit it, apologize, try to learn from it and move on. Great office environment, ROWE, opportunities to collaborate and contribute to different teams within the office. Great benefits. People have high level sounding titles but are really down to earth.

Cons

The .com portion of the company, as in the website, is shaky at best. Relies a lot on advertising, which is understandable, but too many ads on the site, the site isn't easy to use, slow. They want to make a big push into mobile and used cars, but the tools on the site, apps, aren't as informative or intuitive as they could be. Before all the kinks are worked out of one process or product, another focus, push or direction is announced. No clear career pathways are laid out. Kind of get in where you fit in, make your mark and hope to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparency. It's much appreciated.
    Use the site and the apps for yourself and see if it's the experience that you think it is for end users.
    You might be surprised.

7. Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun culture, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Leadership is very "clicky" at times.

8. Edmunds.com is Avi Cool

Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Avi the CEO is a good guy, and the company's leadership in automotive editorial is clearly one of its strengths. Advertising does not impact editorial

Cons

I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured.

Advice to Management

Point to selling cars directly and partner with TESLA.

9. Hands down best place to work in LA!

Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They actually care about their employees and understand that happy employees are much more productive! They have the work life balance thing all figured out!

Cons

It's hard to find your place in the big picture

10. Great day-to-day feel, worrisome outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance with ROWE. For the most part there are mechanisms to hear out employee concerns at every level, so if there's anything that bothers you about your particular manager/director, it's not hard to be heard (although I don't sense that this is a common problem to begin with. In general, working here from day to day is fun and relatively low-stress.

Also, if you do your job and play the game, above average compensation seems to follow.

Cons

Many question the direction of the company in a time that's been a bit turbulent. Traffic is on the decline and competitors with flat, streamlined website designs offer more ease-of-use for the same product. The difficulty seems to be that Edmunds relies heavily on advertising revenue for cash flow, but ads muck up the site and make navigation and page load times reminiscent of a decade ago. This is in direct conflict with the transition to becoming a car shopping website.

Advice to Management

The flaws of the current site design might not stand to baby-boomer uses, but younger users who are becoming more and more accustomed to simple, easily navigable, and fast applications won't put up with it for long. Perhaps the Tier 3 business doesn't belong on Edmunds.com, but on an integrated sister website that offers the same product without the burden of heavy advertising.

11. Great benefits, lots of transparency

Current Employee - Product in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits: Result only work environment means employees can set their own schedules and work from where they want as long as they can figure out how to coordinate with other team members and meet goals.

Transparency: Company leadership is very transparent about what's happening - good and bad. COO sends out emails at least twice a week to discuss current problems and opportunities.

Cons

Due to the benefits, there isn't a lot of turnover, so people trying to move up quickly may not find the opportunities they're looking for - these types of people tend to leave after a couple years unless they're able to get in front of the executive team and really impress them.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold internal innovation competitions so that all employees have a forum to share their ideas.