Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
3.6

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy: Operational inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of transparency - constant communication to everyone about earnings, strategy, what is working, what isn't, etc.

Wide variety of technology and a lot of smart people. It's a great place to learn.

Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) provides a ton of flexibility in terms of being at the office. There really is no expectation that you be there every day, unless it's required for something specific you have going on that is better suited to being in person (e.g. presentation to executive team, etc.).

Fun, open, engaging office environment. Tries to be a bit like Google offices - wide open spaces, bright colors, couches, TVs, ping pong, video games, free snacks + coffee, in-office happy hours, etc.

Compensation is middle of the road. It's fair by most standards, but it's definitely not paying Google / Facebook / Amazon / other dot com type salaries. Then again, Edmunds is not those companies. So I list this as a pro instead of a con. Being paid fairly is a good thing, right? I mean, we'd all like $3M in stock options, but that's not really a fair barometer to judge all other companies by.

Cons

Note: I gave 5 stars despite the cons listed here because it's still a fun and engaging place to be, which is more than most people get from a job these days. That indicates "Very Satisfied", which I am.

Probably the biggest concern - I don't have a lot of confidence that the strategies in play will result in long term growth, or even maintenance of current revenue. There's just nothing obvious that jumps out as "hey, this is our 30% per year revenue growth engine". It just feels a bit stagnant and grasping at straws to maintain current state. Hope I'm wrong, but it makes it feel like it's a short term spot for me.

Ton of turnover for a company of this size - seems like at least 1-2 people every week. Not necessarily a con, but usually an indicator of something bad.

The wide variety of technology mentioned as a pro also has a dark side - massive complexity, mostly unnecessary. There doesn't seem to be a unifying technology platform strategy; it's a huge patchwork of every open source technology that has been hot at some point over the last 5-7 years.

It's a bit clicky, as some other reviewers pointed out, but that hasn't really been a problem for me. It's much like other places - there's a culture and personality type that naturally fits in and flourishes here. If you happen to be that type, you'll do well. If not, you'll probably feel like you're on the outside looking in.

It's a family run / owned business, so you have to deal with some arbitrary annoyances that you don't find at normal companies. For example, the elder Steinlauf (Chairman of the Board, son is CEO) roams the office, not appearing to do much, but more than once has unapologetically poked his head into important meetings (with Directors, VPs, etc.) for stupid reasons - he can't get into his email account (user error), or his wife's cell phone is acting up, etc.

None, really. I don't know that I have thoughts that are better than the ones currently in play. It's a tough business to be in, walking a fine line between building consumer trust in our independent reviews, while convincing dealers (who pay us a lot of money) that we aren't trying to screw them by helping consumers find the best prices. Fingers crossed, I guess?

Edmunds.com is Avi Cool

Former Employee - Creative Ditrector  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Avi the CEO is a good guy, and the company's leadership in automotive editorial is clearly one of its strengths. Advertising does not impact editorial

Cons

I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured.

Point to selling cars directly and partner with TESLA.

Enriching, dynamic, challenging, and never dull.

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tremendous benefits and a flexible work schedule. The work is intellectually stimulating and there is a a lot of openness to new ideas and approaches for people who can absorb and welcome change. Very public and honest reflection from upper management. Tremendous care an attention is placed on their employees.

Cons

Emphasis on swift. decisive action has a tendency to backfire and create thrash and churn among project teams. Ambiguity about objectives can make work/life balance very difficult for many. Numerous pet projects create distractions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hands down best place to work in LA!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

They actually care about their employees and understand that happy employees are much more productive! They have the work life balance thing all figured out!

Cons

It's hard to find your place in the big picture

Great benefits, lots of transparency

Current Employee - Product  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits: Result only work environment means employees can set their own schedules and work from where they want as long as they can figure out how to coordinate with other team members and meet goals.

Transparency: Company leadership is very transparent about what's happening - good and bad. COO sends out emails at least twice a week to discuss current problems and opportunities.

Cons

Due to the benefits, there isn't a lot of turnover, so people trying to move up quickly may not find the opportunities they're looking for - these types of people tend to leave after a couple years unless they're able to get in front of the executive team and really impress them.

Continue to hold internal innovation competitions so that all employees have a forum to share their ideas.

Best place I've ever worked!

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Results only work environment (work where you want, when you want as long as your get your work done)

Excellent pay, location, benefits!

Rewarding, challenging work.

Cons

Sometimes the product can inhibit latest design directions.

Great day-to-day feel, worrisome outlook

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance with ROWE. For the most part there are mechanisms to hear out employee concerns at every level, so if there's anything that bothers you about your particular manager/director, it's not hard to be heard (although I don't sense that this is a common problem to begin with. In general, working here from day to day is fun and relatively low-stress.

Also, if you do your job and play the game, above average compensation seems to follow.

Cons

Many question the direction of the company in a time that's been a bit turbulent. Traffic is on the decline and competitors with flat, streamlined website designs offer more ease-of-use for the same product. The difficulty seems to be that Edmunds relies heavily on advertising revenue for cash flow, but ads muck up the site and make navigation and page load times reminiscent of a decade ago. This is in direct conflict with the transition to becoming a car shopping website.

The flaws of the current site design might not stand to baby-boomer uses, but younger users who are becoming more and more accustomed to simple, easily navigable, and fast applications won't put up with it for long. Perhaps the Tier 3 business doesn't belong on Edmunds.com, but on an integrated sister website that offers the same product without the burden of heavy advertising.

Anonymous

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

-Rowe
    -Creative Environment
    -Potential for growth
    -They have a great on boarding process so that you are familiar with the company

Cons

-Rowe isn't beneficial for all positions
    -More transparency

Employees Valued, Great Opportunities, Challenging Work

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Open, collaborative work environment
    -Excellent benefits
    -ROWE (Results Only Work Environment)
    -Employees valued and treated with wonderful perks
    -Employees are high quality, professional, and extremely nice to work with
    -Small company; everyone knows each other and works together well
    -Casual and comfortable environment
    -Excellent Technology

Cons

-Although this is a highly collaborative environment, you still encounter silos just like any other company. You have to speak up and make sure you are heard.
    -Senior management is challenging - not sure that would be a con; I actually look at this as more of a pro. You have to have a backbone, accept criticism, and deliver.

Great place to work!

Great place to work

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, entire team dedicated to the workplace experience, happy hours, great benefits, ROWE workplace.

Cons

It's basically a hierarchy with way too many branches, company will pay a bonus but put a freeze on hiring which doesn't help the long hours especially being a ROWE workplace.

We need more people working here to effectively take the company where you think it deserves to be.

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!