Edmunds.com

Updated February 22, 2015
3.8

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • They have the work life balance thing all figured out (in 12 reviews)

• Results only work environment (work where you want, when you want as long as your get your work done) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Ambiguity about objectives can make work/life balance very difficult for many (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management is challenging - not sure that would be a con; I actually look at this as more of a pro (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Employees Valued, Great Opportunities, Challenging Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Open, collaborative work environment
    -Excellent benefits
    -ROWE (Results Only Work Environment)
    -Employees valued and treated with wonderful perks
    -Employees are high quality, professional, and extremely nice to work with
    -Small company; everyone knows each other and works together well
    -Casual and comfortable environment
    -Excellent Technology

Cons

-Although this is a highly collaborative environment, you still encounter silos just like any other company. You have to speak up and make sure you are heard.
    -Senior management is challenging - not sure that would be a con; I actually look at this as more of a pro. You have to have a backbone, accept criticism, and deliver.

Great place to work!

Relaxed Atmosphere, Great Perks - Lacks Direction and Career Development

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Great Time Off/Holidays
    Work/Life Balance is above average
    Good Location

Cons

Pay is a bit below market and the work itself can be thankless unless you operate in an executive role. By far the most political company i've ever worked for. If your part of the elite group, you'll do well.

Don't promote because you like someone, promote because of performance and talent.

Innovative Company with high standards of consumer satisfaction

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great compensation program, ROWE, Family orientated

Cons

Time management with visiting multiple partners. Communicating feedback through the proper channels can be tedious.

The upper management values feedback on products and maintain a focus to bring solutions to light that will help the consumer connect with the automotive dealer.

home away from home!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

I just started working here full time only a month ago and my experience has been amazing.

Culture: The Edmunds culture is like no other company I have ever worked for. Everyone that you meet here, is passionate about what they do for Edmunds. You get the family vibe and everyone works as a team across all departments. Transparency is one of the best traits I love about working here, you are always in the know of what's going on.

Management: My manager gives me the freedom to re-create process and provides the best guidance. They encourage creativity and always put candidate/employee experience as a number 1 priority.

Benefits: ROWE and TAW are obviously a huge perk of working here. But you'll see a lot of employees who decide to work in the office vs. at home just because they LIKE to be here.

Cons

I can't think of a con. My manager provided me with excellent training, understands my career goal and offers to help me get there.

Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

It's a real mixed bag

Former Employee - Engineering
    Former Employee - Engineering

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, and a culture of respect abounds in most departments. Generally relaxed work environment, progressive vacation policy (which admittedly may not be for everyone). The CEO seems to genuinely care about creating a progressive company that takes care of their employees and being seen as a leader in that area.

Engineering is generally good, although somewhat dependent on the team. Developers get to work on reasonably up-to-date technologies and development practices (thanks to some brave work by predecessors of the current engineering leadership). There are relatively low levels of bureaucracy and the impediments to getting things done are normally due to lack of resources, which one would encounter at any company.

Cons

Edmunds has the money, industry knowledge, and technical expertise to build whatever they want, but they lack focus and commitment. The leadership of the company has trouble committing to something when there's no immediate and clear revenue opportunity. They can commit to A when B brings in the money, but have trouble with A to B to C where the money comes in at C. They then look at other companies who have been able to commit to something and made it to C, and ask 'why can't we do that?' Any signs of improvement in this area are probably just a result of seeing competitors' success and using that as a clear way forward.

The founder has no patience, gets distracted by every fancy article that he reads, and disrupts the company's tactical choices in every area.

Product managers at Edmunds have to roll with the punches. One week you might think you're doing the most meaningful work of your life and the next you'll be forced in a completely different direction. Edmunds talks the talk when it comes to A/B tests, UX, usability, NPS, etc, but they haven't figured out a transparent strategy to efficiently deliver product improvements based on those measurements.

Those at the highest level – but still controlling what happens on the product level –  are not product people, and seem incapable of assessing the company's products objectively. Unfortunately they need to be told by outsiders what's good or bad. They should get, or promote, a proper product leader and get out of the way (this will not happen).

Keep up the good work with the whole work-life balance thing. Fix your product development pipeline by genuinely committing to things, make better use of your editorial staff in more innovative ways. Try to keep Peter out of the mix.

Good company, tries hard to be good at too many things...

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, senior management is very open and transparent about the performance of the company, product successes, shortcomings, tries to keep employees involved in major decisions on things such as benefits. It has been my experience that the company is open to trying different things, if something doesn't work, they aren't afraid to admit it, apologize, try to learn from it and move on. Great office environment, ROWE, opportunities to collaborate and contribute to different teams within the office. Great benefits. People have high level sounding titles but are really down to earth.

Cons

The .com portion of the company, as in the website, is shaky at best. Relies a lot on advertising, which is understandable, but too many ads on the site, the site isn't easy to use, slow. They want to make a big push into mobile and used cars, but the tools on the site, apps, aren't as informative or intuitive as they could be. Before all the kinks are worked out of one process or product, another focus, push or direction is announced. No clear career pathways are laid out. Kind of get in where you fit in, make your mark and hope to move up the ladder.

Continue with the transparency. It's much appreciated.
    Use the site and the apps for yourself and see if it's the experience that you think it is for end users.
    You might be surprised.

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun culture, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Leadership is very "clicky" at times.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of transparency - constant communication to everyone about earnings, strategy, what is working, what isn't, etc.

Wide variety of technology and a lot of smart people. It's a great place to learn.

Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) provides a ton of flexibility in terms of being at the office. There really is no expectation that you be there every day, unless it's required for something specific you have going on that is better suited to being in person (e.g. presentation to executive team, etc.).

Fun, open, engaging office environment. Tries to be a bit like Google offices - wide open spaces, bright colors, couches, TVs, ping pong, video games, free snacks + coffee, in-office happy hours, etc.

Compensation is middle of the road. It's fair by most standards, but it's definitely not paying Google / Facebook / Amazon / other dot com type salaries. Then again, Edmunds is not those companies. So I list this as a pro instead of a con. Being paid fairly is a good thing, right? I mean, we'd all like $3M in stock options, but that's not really a fair barometer to judge all other companies by.

Cons

Note: I gave 5 stars despite the cons listed here because it's still a fun and engaging place to be, which is more than most people get from a job these days. That indicates "Very Satisfied", which I am.

Probably the biggest concern - I don't have a lot of confidence that the strategies in play will result in long term growth, or even maintenance of current revenue. There's just nothing obvious that jumps out as "hey, this is our 30% per year revenue growth engine". It just feels a bit stagnant and grasping at straws to maintain current state. Hope I'm wrong, but it makes it feel like it's a short term spot for me.

Ton of turnover for a company of this size - seems like at least 1-2 people every week. Not necessarily a con, but usually an indicator of something bad.

The wide variety of technology mentioned as a pro also has a dark side - massive complexity, mostly unnecessary. There doesn't seem to be a unifying technology platform strategy; it's a huge patchwork of every open source technology that has been hot at some point over the last 5-7 years.

It's a bit clicky, as some other reviewers pointed out, but that hasn't really been a problem for me. It's much like other places - there's a culture and personality type that naturally fits in and flourishes here. If you happen to be that type, you'll do well. If not, you'll probably feel like you're on the outside looking in.

It's a family run / owned business, so you have to deal with some arbitrary annoyances that you don't find at normal companies. For example, the elder Steinlauf (Chairman of the Board, son is CEO) roams the office, not appearing to do much, but more than once has unapologetically poked his head into important meetings (with Directors, VPs, etc.) for stupid reasons - he can't get into his email account (user error), or his wife's cell phone is acting up, etc.

None, really. I don't know that I have thoughts that are better than the ones currently in play. It's a tough business to be in, walking a fine line between building consumer trust in our independent reviews, while convincing dealers (who pay us a lot of money) that we aren't trying to screw them by helping consumers find the best prices. Fingers crossed, I guess?

Edmunds.com is Avi Cool

Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Avi the CEO is a good guy, and the company's leadership in automotive editorial is clearly one of its strengths. Advertising does not impact editorial

Cons

I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured.

Point to selling cars directly and partner with TESLA.

Hands down best place to work in LA!

Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They actually care about their employees and understand that happy employees are much more productive! They have the work life balance thing all figured out!

Cons

It's hard to find your place in the big picture