Edmunds.com

Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf

Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy: Operational inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

• Executive management is clueless(in 3 reviews)

Great Work/Life balance

ProsROWE
    Better than average pay raises

ConsExcecutive management seems inexperienced and lacks follow through on some major projects

Wonderful company, suffers from too many direction changes

ProsResults only work environment lets you work where you want, when you want, as long as your work gets done. Unlimited time off, happy hours, reimbursement for gym memberships. Some really talented co-workers

ConsExtra benefits are great, but monetary compensation is definitely on the low end for this industry. Frequent shift in the direction of the company, which is frustrating. Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc.) are extremely forward thinking, but mid-level management is very much stuck in the "we've always done it this way, why change mentality."

Great recovery from year 2000 tumult

Creative Director (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat research and data organization, having pioneered web based analytics, car searches, data syndication, advertising. Comp is fair. Leadership much improved by Avi Steinlauf.

ConsMy info i based on early experience. Once a politically divided company, Edmunds has united under Avi. Turnover seems to have flattened to normal range.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore video, align with Google earth, HTML 5 virtual drives in your 'hood using various vehicles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great company, not so much any more

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedule, unlimited time-off, plenty of paid holidays, some talented people to work with

ConsNo career development, bright engineers stuck working on mundane work, no direction, some incompetent managers, poor compensation, top heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a clear direction and communicate that clearly to everyone. Too many old fashioned/old thinkers higher up - no innovation. Need an overhaul to stay innovative and competitive.

Frequent role changes without title or pay changes.

Sales Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE (results only work environment). As long as the work gets done, it doesn't matter how many hours you work or where you work from (in theory). Fresh fruit every morning, cereal on Monday mornings, bagels on Friday mornings, some catered lunches. Good opportunity to work with cutting edge technology (depending on your role).

ConsAs an employee moves further along in tenure they are demanded to take on additional projects, work, and in person meetings, which actually ends up in longer hours spent and increasingly stressful expectations. You must be a "yes man" and expect to take on anything that comes your way.

I became a yes man, played by the rules, took on additional projects and completed numerous high level assignments and even presented to executive management and when a promotional opportunity to Sr. Analyst role came up within my team which I clearly deserved, the job posting was put up without even having a conversation with me. I was extremely dedicated to Edmunds, played a lead role in developing our dealer performance tool, performed equivalent if not better quality work of Managers and Sr. Manager's of Analytics & Development yet although I was told that I and my work was valued by the team, the actions didn't follow the words.

Edmunds seems to be having an identity crisis. The company built its reputation as a great resource for consumers to find information and reviews about vehicles. Over the past couple years, the company has cheapened itself to more of an advertising/car buying oriented website and drastic organizational changes are made hastily every few months to try to compete with pure automotive buying/selling websites such as TrueCar.

Be aware of favoritism and HEAVY politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a talented person comes along, treat them well if you value them and want to keep them around. Providing fresh fruit in the mornings and buying neat looking office furniture probably isn't what will keep them around.

Could be a fun place to work but the politics / family favors are tough to overcome

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat Santa Monica location, decent benefits, some intelligent underpaid middle managers that were fun to work with.

ConsFar lower than average dot.com pay, ancient owner that is still living in a 70's/80's billboard state of mind influencing both the CEO (son) and COO (family consigliere), little understanding of why competitors are winning on a better value proposition and little action taken to rectify the situation, half baked initiatives that are incompetently pushed through by anointed (kiss ups not merit earned) senior management merely trying to justify their existence and even for them medicore pay. Edmunds reliance on pure A/B website metrics without taking into account simple exogenous variables such as competitor moves, natural weather disasters, regional sales trends was appallingly blind.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company while you can.

Great experience. Great benefits

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsLoved being able to work from home and take regular vacation days.

ConsToo many spontaneous projects direction changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your teams contribute to the strategic decision making

Executive management at Edmunds is clueless with no morals.

Director IT (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThere are a lot of smart people at Edmunds and the compensation levels are fairly decent.

ConsExecutive management is clueless. zero work life balance. Raises and career opportunities are given out based on favoritism instead of merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting clueless executives and giving everyone executive director/VP titles.

Inexperienced, Political, Back Stabbing Management

Account Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE
    Smart and great coworkers (for the most part)
    Events

ConsIt doesn't matter if you're doing the job right, all that matters if you're doing what the Sales team wants.
    Treated like a fifth class citizen by the sales team and your management won't back you up because they got to their position by kissing up to the sales team. Some management have not embraced ROWE and therefore look down on and penalize those who utilize it.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit giving sales people all the power in the company.
    Promote not based on relationships or people who do not know how to manage a team.
    If ROWE is promoted management should not have the attitude that working from home is a privilege versus the way of the company.

Great people, little advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to get educated, lots of personal time, lots of ability to stretch your knowledge and try new things.

ConsThere is an overabundance of politics and too many people with petty dictatorships in their respective departments. The business pretends to be more fun than it is. There's no way to trust the higher management in following through with promises. Unlikely to advance your career.

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!