Edmunds.com

Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf

Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc(in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy: Operational inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

Great experience. Great benefits

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsLoved being able to work from home and take regular vacation days.

ConsToo many spontaneous projects direction changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your teams contribute to the strategic decision making

Best Company Ever!

ProsExcellent career advancement opportunities. Great work and life balance. Excellent compensation

ConsThere are constantly clash between business and tech

Finally found the company I was looking for..

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE (Results Only Work Environment)
    Compensation and Benefits
    Work Culture
    Technology

ConsEven though Work Life Balance is great cause of ROWE sometimes there are days where you end up working a lot and other days where you dont have much to do

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Public Relations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat people, and company. The office atmosphere makes you excited about work and management always keeps you engaged with the company and its product.

ConsGreat experience all around. Enjoyed my tenure in the Public Relations department and having nothing to complain about.

one of best company i have worked for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsROWE
    co workers
    technology
    Agile /kanban process
    work ethics

ConsROWE some times can be too taxing as the border between work life and home life mergers, But it isn't a CON if you need that flexibility

Hands down the best place to work

Data Research Associate (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsEdmunds prides itself on being "hands down the best place to work in Southern California" and they are. They provide you with lots of free snacks and arcade games to unwind with during breaks. However, it's not just the benefits, but the people who work there that make it worth while. My colleagues became my close friends and I looked forward to working with them everyday.

ConsThe pay is not as competitive as other companies, which the benefits seem to make up for.

Edmunds is a great place to work. They care about their employees.

Director of Product Management (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsI've been at Edmunds.com for nearly seven years. The company has doubled in size and revenue since I started. There have been some growing pains, but one thing that has never wavered is the company's commitment to employee satisfaction and work/life balance. The benefits are top notch and senior management is accessible and responsive. My career has flourished at Edmunds and I am grateful for the opportunities the company has given me to continue my education and develop my skills. The talent pool here is amazing.

ConsSanta Monica is a beautiful location, but unless you live on the Westside, you are going to face a terrible commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think a more transparent salary structure would help to boost morale. Additionally, company-wide announcements about job changes and promotions would help us keep up with other departments better.

Edmunds.com is the best place I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Pros1. Incredible respect for the employees. I've never seen an HR team work harder to take care of the people who work here. Amazing vacation policy, great work-life balance, fantastic benefits, super family-friendly environment, ongoing training, what else can I say? And an HR department who are approachable, earnest and here to support us.
    2. Innovative culture. Have a new idea? It's welcome here, and if it's a good idea 20 people will offer to help you make it happen. From Product ideas to Process methodologies to new ways of getting feedback to employees, the management encourages and supports innovation from the troops (not just from the top).
    3. Incredibly high work standards. Some people on here clearly see this as a negative, and Edmunds is demanding. But it also means that we create products you can be proud of, and that under-performers are pushed out of the company (to the relief of the rest of us).
    4. Family-friendly company. This is a company where you can have a passionate, exciting career and have time & energy for your family as well. No one frowns at you for taking a family vacation, making time to attend a child's play, or heading out early for a date with your spouse.
    5. Passionate, smart & compassionate management team. The C-level execs who head up Edmunds are the best I've ever worked with (and no, I'm not one of them). They're smart, well educated and will challenge you to do your best. They are focused on creating the best possible experience for our customers, even at the expense of the dealers/OEMs who pay our advertising. And they are deeply concerned about the satisfaction and advancement of their employees.

ConsSome major changes have taken place in the last 6 months, which have made this a much much better place to work. In the past we had these problems:
    1. Bitter, disenfranchised employees who think they're entitled to promotions simply because of how many years they've been here. Thankfully many of these have left, although we still have a few hanging around. I hope we can get the rest of them out before they can do harm to the happy people. Many of them seem to be posting reviews here, unfortunately.
    2. A long release process. Again, this has changed and we've gone from a multi-month (or even year) release cycle to a quick & efficient <monthly iteration.
    3. A cumbersome, slow infrastructure that prevented real innovation. Again, happily, we've fixed this problem which is allowing us to move quickly and actually see our ideas go live in a matter of weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the new Design Thinking approach! Keep empowering us and giving us a chance to come up with the new ideas & direction for the company - whether product ideas, HR policies, or cultural changes.

Wonderful company, suffers from too many direction changes

ProsResults only work environment lets you work where you want, when you want, as long as your work gets done. Unlimited time off, happy hours, reimbursement for gym memberships. Some really talented co-workers

ConsExtra benefits are great, but monetary compensation is definitely on the low end for this industry. Frequent shift in the direction of the company, which is frustrating. Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc.) are extremely forward thinking, but mid-level management is very much stuck in the "we've always done it this way, why change mentality."

Great Work/Life balance

ProsROWE
    Better than average pay raises

ConsExcecutive management seems inexperienced and lacks follow through on some major projects

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!